Stopping rattles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping rattles?

My subs rattle my whole trunk and rear deck. It rattles the rear deck more than anything and it's getting annoying and worse. I know the obvious thing to do would be is to dynomat the car. I was wondering is there any other way I could get the trunk lid and rear deck to quit vibrating as much without dynomatting it?
    Traded G6 - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17590
    2006 G6 V6, 12" vinyl strip along windshield, 5% tint on all around, painted mirrors, Eibach Pro-Kit, CRABS Option 3, Dr. Speed FPU, 8k Highs/Lows with halogen fogs, tinted tails, custom Flowmaster 44 exhaust with resonator delete, and a Kenwood headunit along with a metra kit.

New Car - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22863
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC, K&N SRI, ZZP catless DP, EFR 6758, Polished TC wheels, Injen Charge pipes, Retros, HPTuned, etc...

Re: Stopping rattles?

not really. You're gonna have to dynamat it.
    sigpic
    MY PROGRESSION:
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

You can use dynamat or any other brand like second skin, fatmat, etc. but you'll never fully stop trunk vibrations unless you'd fire the subs into the car and not towards the trunk then seal it off, but it's more hassle than it's really worth. You could also get in between the braces with some type of spray foam to help reduce it as well.
      '08 G6 v6
      '10 Ninja 250 SE

Comment

Damn. I wouldn't really wouldn't about it, but now I got the l7, my whole rear deck shakes with every hit and the amps gain is only up half way and the bass boost is off.
        Traded G6 - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17590
        2006 G6 V6, 12" vinyl strip along windshield, 5% tint on all around, painted mirrors, Eibach Pro-Kit, CRABS Option 3, Dr. Speed FPU, 8k Highs/Lows with halogen fogs, tinted tails, custom Flowmaster 44 exhaust with resonator delete, and a Kenwood headunit along with a metra kit.

New Car - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22863
        2009 Cobalt SS/TC, K&N SRI, ZZP catless DP, EFR 6758, Polished TC wheels, Injen Charge pipes, Retros, HPTuned, etc...

Comment

Front face the sub and seal the box of from the trunk. You will have 0 rattle coming from your trunk. Not only is there no rattle but its also louder. I found out front facing is the best for our cars

Comment

mine didnt sound as good when facing forward, mine sounds better with the sound bouncing off the trunk and into the car (seats down even more +)
            The NEW G8 GXP progression build

Mrs Mancosman's midnight blue GXP build

My Progression The G6 Transformation! RIP

Comment

I assume yours are in a sealed box

Comment

ported
                The NEW G8 GXP progression build

Mrs Mancosman's midnight blue GXP build

My Progression The G6 Transformation! RIP

Comment

my ported sounds better front faced and is made for spl

Comment

Hello fellas! Great forum you have here

I too am getting a ton of rattling from the rear deck as well as the back of the headliner where it meets the top of the rear window.

I'm in 08' G6 GT Coupe with a sunroof. I'm currently running 2 Type-R 12's on 1000rms in a rearward facing ported box.

I was thinking of laying some carpet padding above/around the 6x9s to take up some slack in that rear deck cover. It also rattles against the rear window quite hard, I was thinking of placing some glass table stop anti-skid clear rubber circular pads in there to help stop that.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to stop the headliner from rattling?

Will have to rip it all down, sound deaden it, then glue it back up? What a pain if so, right??!

I'm also getting a bunch of rattling from the dome light area & the surrounding headliner area.

I will be completely sound deadening the inside of the trunk compartment as well as prob 3 layers on the trunk lid, along with expanding foam in the areas you cant get dynomat into.

I really need to get all this vibration out, as new gear will be coming soon. New amp will be a Crescendo BC2000 with most likely 2 SA-12s on 1/0 big 3 wiring.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give here.

I plan on takin lots of pics (and sharing them here) as this process unfolds.

Cheers!
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonc13 View Post
                      Hello fellas! Great forum you have here

I too am getting a ton of rattling from the rear deck as well as the back of the headliner where it meets the top of the rear window.

I'm in 08' G6 GT Coupe with a sunroof. I'm currently running 2 Type-R 12's on 1000rms in a rearward facing ported box.

I was thinking of laying some carpet padding above/around the 6x9s to take up some slack in that rear deck cover. It also rattles against the rear window quite hard, I was thinking of placing some glass table stop anti-skid clear rubber circular pads in there to help stop that.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to stop the headliner from rattling?

Will have to rip it all down, sound deaden it, then glue it back up? What a pain if so, right??!

I'm also getting a bunch of rattling from the dome light area & the surrounding headliner area.

I will be completely sound deadening the inside of the trunk compartment as well as prob 3 layers on the trunk lid, along with expanding foam in the areas you cant get dynomat into.

I really need to get all this vibration out, as new gear will be coming soon. New amp will be a Crescendo BC2000 with most likely 2 SA-12s on 1/0 big 3 wiring.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give here.

I plan on takin lots of pics (and sharing them here) as this process unfolds.

Cheers!
                      Jason
                      Finally someone who knows about Competition setups!! Sound deading the trunk for this car is a must. I have three layers in the trunk and on the trunk lid and expanding foam where i couldnt get sound deadner in. For your headliner that will have to be sound deadened to and to get the rattle out the dome and map lights put silicone around the edges of the covers. Look into Hushmats Silencer Megabond or some Damplifier pro spectrum Sludge for the rear deck.

Comment

Hey Joker!

Just to be clear, you filled the trunk with the spectrum sludge? I don't think there is any way I can get in between the outer trunk shell and the inner sort of sub frame it has welded on for support to get ant stick on deadner in there

You used 3 layer everywhere?? Dam! lol Did you deaden the spare tire well also?

Wow that Second Skin Damplifier Pro product looks sweet, but holy crap is it big $$

Side note: How do I post pic's? I snapped a few shots here to be more clear. Is it just b/c my post count is too low still?
                        Last edited by Jasonc13; 09-09-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X