Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the resonator in one piece!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the resonator in one piece!

There has been so much talk about the resonator I finally decided to see what it was all about. Please keep in mind the steps I discribe apply to a Malibu Maxx SS.

Today I set out to get at the resonator. Took my time and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was given the strange location GM put it. For those of you who don't know about the thing, it is a plastic tube about 3 inches in diameter with a couple of odd shaped tanks attached. I have heard two explanations for this thing. One, it is to reduce the noise of the air being sucked into the airbox, and two, it is to somehow prevent water from getting to the airbox. Number one makes more sense to me. If you get into water as high as the air tube, you are going to have more problems then just water injestion.

Now to the removal.

To make it a little easier I removed the airbox, MAF, and tube to to the throttle-body. This process is discribed in a number of places so I won't bore you. To play it safe I disconnected the battery. No harm in protecting against inadvertent shorts.

Next attacking the resonator. It is attached by two rubber grommets and easily pulls away from these spots. The tricky parts of this project are a bolt that is hidden behind the resonator which is attached to the frame and removing the resonator from its placement.

First remove the headlight, very easy, two 10MM bolts on top and then disconnect the wiring harness.

Second, jack up right front tire and remove. Make sure brakes are set and tires are blocked.

Third, remove the plastic fittings that hold the front of the inner wheel well cover from the body and frame. No need to remove them all, just the two inner fittings (top and bottom) and five that attach to the front bumper cover and fender.

Now it gets a little tricky. Fourth, remove three 10MM bolts that hold the bumper cover to the fender. They may be covered with paint so the 10MM might be a tight fit.

Fifth, remove the hidden bolt holding the resonator to the frame. You can reach this 10MM bolt by gently pulling the inside wheel well cover away from the frame. I had a ratcheting box wrench the made it relatively accessable.

Sixth, the resonator should now be totaly loose. Gently pull the bumper cover away from the car and lift out the resonator.

Reverse steps 4-1 and reconnect the airbox and battery.

Unfortunately I did not have my camera handy. I'll take a pic of the resonator so you can see what it looks like whole.

We will see if a little more cold air adds to performance.

Take your time and be patient. I completed the project in 2-3 hours. It was thearpy since local football teams are terrible this year.

Regards,
    JD - Cheers
    Sonoma makes wine, Napa makes auto parts!

Nice write up!

There's just one thing. I don't recall my resonator having a bolt holding it on to anything. I certainly didn't loosen a bolt to remove it.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
      Nice write up!

There's just one thing. I don't recall my resonator having a bolt holding it on to anything. I certainly didn't loosen a bolt to remove it.
      +1 - great write-up!

My car defintely has the mystery bolt - it has deterred me from removing the resonator before! thanks!
      Originally posted by colinpeddle
      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
      That here, by G6er law, we lie
      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Yeah mine had a bolt on it as well.

Comment

mine HAD the bolt

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
            Nice write up!

x2. All I had were plastic pegs that pushed through rubber grommets to hold it in place.

Comment

Here are the pics of this contraption.

The hole on the right and on the bottom pulled away from the rubber grommet.
              The hole on the left has a grommet set in with a hole for the bolt.

Back-side of resonator.

Front view of resonator.

The tanks have to modify the sound of air rushing through the 3" tube. Similar to blowing across the top of a beer bottle. If someone tried filling the tanks with liquid you might be able to play your own tune as you pressed on the accelorator.

JD
              Sonoma makes wine, Napa makes auto parts!

Comment

looks like there are different resonators...do you have a GT or a GTP? Maybe it's a GTP thing. Here's mine

You can see how the bottom tank is a completely different shape, and all three mounting points are with grommets...no bolts.

Thanks for the write-up!
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Weird, looks like we do have different ones.

Mine had the bolt, kinda surprised me when I removed it cause I was used to seeing all the others on here without it.

Comment

^ Guess that rules out the GT/GTP thing.
                    -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

man i hate that stupid resognator whatever its calls.. i got in there with a big bread knife and hacked the bottom bubble off and torn the odd shaped bitch right out... took me an hour but man i really hate plastic retard designs,
                      2006 G6 GTP 6speed--Wideview Prime HIDs, Custom Tint, Stage4 CAI, and Geniune GM warrenty work!

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                        ^ Guess that rules out the GT/GTP thing.
                        Maybe has something to do with when it was made, could be an earlier design. You had yours before me so that's the only thing I could think of.

Comment

Well I think mine has a build date of June 2005.
                          -Mike #1

Comment

I had a bolt on mine.
                            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Mine was built in January 06.

I have no idea, I guess they're GM so that should explain it right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X