"Cheap" performance mods on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cheap" performance mods on Ebay

I just want to forewarn people that think that they can get better performance by spending $20 for stuff on Ebay...

The swirl thingy:
    Claims- Many of our customers have had DYNO PROVEN power gains of over 5hp at the wheels!! Check our feedback, its in there!! As well, many of our customers whom haven't visited a dyno FEEL substantial gains!

Substantial? 5? Not really. You essentially shrink the intake to "swirl" air. By the time it gets to the combustian chamber, the bends negate the swirling. Nothing gained.

The chip:
    Claims- Your car will accelerate faster and have a higher top end speed. This is a great mod for any car, and will definitely increase your HORSEPOWER up to 20 hp. Your 1/4-mile times will decrease a few tenths of a second or more and your 1/4-mile MPH will improve as well.

It is a simple 15ยข resistor that you can get at Radio Shack. All it does is retard the timing. At the same time, you have to switch to 91+ octane to avoid pinging from improper ignition. Nothing gained other than the amount of your fuel bill from having to buy higher, more expensive gas.

Ground wires:
    Claims- # Improves Throttle Response
    # Stabilize Electrical Revolutions which generate more Power, & Torque
    # Provide Better Ground Electric Current Passage Way from Battery Negative to Body Chassis and Different Components within Engine Bay
    # Increase Torque through Low and Mid Range Power band
    # 5 to 8 HP Gain after Installation

The only thing that you will gain is a better ground and if you had an aftermarket STEREO and AMP, there is less power loss to them. Our cars are grounded great enough. Unless you got a rust bucket that has a bad wiring system, again, nothing gained.

Just thought I would share for the few n00bs that think that they can get something out of them.

SWO #21. PeanutEnvy- Official Dirt Track Racer/Dirk Diggler
    Originally posted by G6Performance
    Your username cracks me up

That swirl thingie the same as http://www.turbonator.com/?

I see that stupid thing in car mags all the time. 35HP, lol!

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

The "tornato" thing first I had on my own car and I noticed no power pick up but on a few tank average I did pick up about 1-2 MPG. But NO HP pick up at all and it was on my old car with the carb style round air cleaner which drops right onto the manifold. I dont see though on the air intake set up on normal fuel injection becuase how far back it is you'll get anydiffrence. You would lose the "swirl" effect well before it hit the heads.

Resistor, also tryed it. Car ran same to slightly better when it was warm out but when it was cold out...... a BIG HP DROP and HORIBLE engine response.

Now the ground wires, do work out of the 3. Not a real noticable pick up on power but even on a stock engine if you look at some of the the grounds there real weak. I have bigger ground on my car and have a hard time to discribe it but "smother" response the car has is the best I can describe. I wouldnt buy them, I built my own from radio shack with left over stuff I have and about 10 dollars I think I spent at radio shack. More or less the ground is a fun thing to do on your car if you are looking for a minor project to do if you want to poke at something on it one day. Also on the grounds, alot of the older EFI systems esp the fords like 5.0s have gotten as much as 10 HP to the wheels on dynos just with ground wires. And some of the WRX people say there is a slight diffrence with bigger grounds on the car. On the ground most I would guess is a 3 maybe 5 HP on the normal car.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Well they aint lyin... *UP TO* X-HP. Simply put, even for someone who knows nothing about cars..... if they gave you a big gain they wouldn't cost 20 bucks.
        2007 G5 Base Model
        Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
          Also on the grounds, alot of the older EFI systems esp the fords like 5.0s have gotten as much as 10 HP to the wheels on dynos just with ground wires.
          Cars like that did have bad grounds... but newer cars, those give you jack.

Again, I just thought I would share this with all the 18 year olds that are looking to pimp (AKA make stupid) their cars that may look at that crap. They are the same ones that will put a "Type R" sticker on their POS car.

Comment

Actually on a 350z a grounding kit has worked for some, and I've seen some get decent gains from it. But for nothing else it's worth it just for your electrical system especially if you have aftermarket stereo work.

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutEnvy
              Originally posted by dre256
              Also on the grounds, alot of the older EFI systems esp the fords like 5.0s have gotten as much as 10 HP to the wheels on dynos just with ground wires.
              Cars like that did have bad grounds... but newer cars, those give you jack.

Again, I just thought I would share this with all the 18 year olds that are looking to pimp (AKA make stupid) their cars that may look at that crap. They are the same ones that will put a "Type R" sticker on their POS car.
              I know what you mean! Those three are BS stuff esp on the modern car. The ground wire like I said is the only thing thats a good idea. And again, not for 50 dollars it isnt either! People that think there going to get 8HP from them on a modern car is some one that prob could/would buy a bridge from me All the ground is, a very MINOR tune, more or less something I did becuase I wanted to poke at y car one day becuase was bored or wouldnt even waste my time or money, thats why I built my own.

If your thinking your getting a real noticable gain from it, save your money and just get the type R sticker, easier to put on and alot less time!
              2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
              Gotta have it Green color
              Brembo brake package
              420 HP 5.0L
              Ford Racing Power Pack
              GT500 track pack differential cover
              BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Kind of like how is said it in this Announcement

Originally posted by Blackrider

Furthermore the crap you find on e-bay such as .99 cent resistors that claim up to 20HP, and little pieces of deformed sheet metal that you shove in your intake that claim to net you more HP and fuel eco... Please no more posts about them, they're a SCAM!
                2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

I've also read that those grounding kits do nothing for new cars. Also beware of the "turbonator" product that goes into the exhaust pipe...and the electric supercharger, WHICH, by the way, for some strange reason can be found at the back of most car magazines in the section reserved for ads. Pretty strange if you ask me.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by Eco_JUNK
                    Well they aint lyin... *UP TO* X-HP. Simply put, even for someone who knows nothing about cars..... if they gave you a big gain they wouldn't cost 20 bucks.
                    Good point!

BTW guys, want to sell my left windshield wiper! GUARANTEED TO INCREASE POWER BY UP TO 300HP!!!!

I'm not lying.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                      I've also read that those grounding kits do nothing for new cars. Also beware of the "turbonator" product that goes into the exhaust pipe...and the electric supercharger, WHICH, by the way, for some strange reason can be found at the back of most car magazines in the section reserved for ads. Pretty strange if you ask me.
                      I didn't find that "supercharger" on there, otherwise I would have included it.

In order to spin fast enough to make a difference, that fan needs to draw a poop-load of power... nothing that a standard 12 volt system can supply. You are better off installing a ceiling fan on your front bumper (FYI to n00bs... a ceiling fan will NOT increase your power, do not install one!).

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutEnvy
                        Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                        I didn't find that "supercharger" on there, otherwise I would have included it.

In order to spin fast enough to make a difference, that fan needs to draw a poop-load of power... nothing that a standard 12 volt system can supply. You are better off installing a ceiling fan on your front bumper (FYI to n00bs... a ceiling fan will NOT increase your power, do not install one!).
                        Aw, see you went and got my hopes up!

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

here ya go

a bit more expensive than the usual, which is around $140. But nothing that can't be made with parts from a hobby shop for butt loads cheaper...not that you should actually try to use one of these.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

You have to wonder though, just how much they will gain you. Surely they will do more than a normal intake

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac- ... dZViewItem

these are funny too.
                              Im assuming they take a resistor (like in the first post) and put it in a fancy case with wires?

Comment

Working...
                              X