GM 6094M Oil Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM 6094M Oil Standard

Does anyone know of an official list from GM that contains oil that has been approved by GM as meeting this oil standard?

I saw this number in my owners manual when looking at the section about motor oil. Later on, when I went to Wal Mart, I looked around at the motor oil and the Castrol, Mobil 1, Mobil 5000, Mobil 7500, and Exxon Superflo had this number listed on the back label.

But the Valvoline did not.

I was just curious if an official list from GM existed and if it was able to be downloaded, where could I get a copy online.

If I'm not mistaken Mobile 1 is the "official" oil of GM...
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I switched to synthetic first oil change I had. (I have Mobil 1 in my GTP.) But, I honestly don't see why the Valvoline wouldn't be ok for your car. If you end up getting Mobil 1 Synthetic, check out our group buy for the Mobil 1 plaques that coupe is running. It's in the Group buy section...It's a nice touch for your engine compartment.
      "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Comment

The chevy dealership that I went to for every change had the Mobil 1 but I never put it in my cavvy, however the wait at my pontiac dealership is so long for an oil change I might still go to my loyal chevy dealership where I plan on forkin out the cash to change over to Mobil 1 synthetic. There was talk about the 5000, 7000, and 15000 but I'm pretty sure I've never seen those at any dealerships just the standard Mobil 1 synthetic?
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I also discovered a .pdf file that had a list of GM 6094M oils. I wish I knew of a way to post the .pdf here to share it. The list appears to be almost a year old but is from the official GM webpage which makes me to believe that it is legitimate

I also discovered something very interesting, if the oil is listed as being GM 6094M approved, it has to be listed from ILSAC as meeting the GF-4 performance standard. This standard was approved on July 31, 2004 and leeway was given to the motor oil companies to where obsolence of GF-3 had to be implemented by April 1, 2005

You may have some oil stocked away in the garage (If you change your own oil) that the brand and viscosity may be on GM's approved list. However, if the oil is old enough to where it has the GF-3 listing on the back label:

(1): It is not GF-4 compliant (obvious)

(2): It is not GM6094M approved.

This is something you may want to be aware of.

I do not know what the 2005 G6 owners manual states but the 2006 G6 owners manual does state the fact that it has to be GM 6094M approved oil.

Comment

I don't think Mobil is the official oil of GM anymore. I went in 2 oil changes ago, and the sticker in the top of my windshield said Pennzoil (as did the sign in the service area). At 3000 miles, the DIC said 32% left...garbage for oil. I now put in Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 (the Pennzoil was 10w-30). What are they thinking!!??
            2006 G6 Sedan...V6, K/N Filter, SS Magnaflow exhaust tip, SS Magnaflow 4" round.

Comment

Originally posted by cbusg6
              I don't think Mobil is the official oil of GM anymore. I went in 2 oil changes ago, and the sticker in the top of my windshield said Pennzoil (as did the sign in the service area). At 3000 miles, the DIC said 32% left...garbage for oil. I now put in Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 (the Pennzoil was 10w-30). What are they thinking!!??
              The DIC doesn't take into account the type of oil you put in. If you had put in Royal Purple or Mobil 1, your oil life would still be at 32%.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by cbusg6
                Each dealer has the freedom to endorse whatever brand oil they want.
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Kinda weird that they put 10-30w in it, but oh well no biggie. Official oil or not I'm pretty sure they would use whatever they could get.

Comment

alot of places will tend to use 10-30 for the winter, at least Ive heard of that before. Also the sticker (if thats what your going by) means nothing most of the time....
                    Originally posted by Toyz
                    Originally posted by simplyred
                    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I thought it would make more since to use 10w-30 for the summer, and 5w-30 for the summer.

Either way, in the manual it states for hotter months use 5-30w. For colder temperatures use 0w-30 or synthetic.
                      2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                      Black/Black coupe

Comment

Yeah but 5W-30 flows better when cold, but I have no idea where he is located so maybe it's hot and they used 10w-30 I dunno...

Actually I guess if you think about it, everything should be safe with using 10w-30. So they would probably keep a lot more of that than 5w-30, since 10w-30 would be closer to like a one oil for all engines type of thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X