Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some audio help

hey guys!

Been on this site for a while and its been a great help. I was given two sub's and and amp the other day by a good friend and i was looking around the site about installing them but couldn't find anything about the best way to hook them up to my stock head unit. Just wondering the best way to do this. Never really had a system in any of my cars before so i am a little clueless about it. I have a 2006 G6 gt... Thanks for the help!

Re: need some audio help

Originally posted by jjw3357 View Post
    hey guys!

Been on this site for a while and its been a great help. I was given two sub's and and amp the other day by a good friend and i was looking around the site about installing them but couldn't find anything about the best way to hook them up to my stock head unit. Just wondering the best way to do this. I have a 2006 G6 gt... Thanks for the help!
    You're best bet is to run an inline adapter, that will splice into your stock rear speakers wire and run RCA's to you aftermarket amp. Have any questions let me know.

You also need to run the remote turn on either to you accessory wire on the headunit or to the ignition.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-Ad...Watts/10756155
    sigpic
    MY PROGRESSION:
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

thank you very much... i appreciate it

Comment

Not to be a downer, but going out and getting an aftermarket headunit is probably alot easier and better then getting an adapter. There's a wide range to chose, cheap or expensive, hd or sat compatible. They definitely have their advantages over stock radios. Even with a stock head unit it probably isn't even going to allow the full potential of a sub and amp set up. Just my 2 cents though.
        Traded G6 - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17590
        2006 G6 V6, 12" vinyl strip along windshield, 5% tint on all around, painted mirrors, Eibach Pro-Kit, CRABS Option 3, Dr. Speed FPU, 8k Highs/Lows with halogen fogs, tinted tails, custom Flowmaster 44 exhaust with resonator delete, and a Kenwood headunit along with a metra kit.

New Car - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22863
        2009 Cobalt SS/TC, K&N SRI, ZZP catless DP, EFR 6758, Polished TC wheels, Injen Charge pipes, Retros, HPTuned, etc...

Comment

i used to tap into the rear speaker wires with rca's then run a power wire to a switch in the dash then to your amp, then bridge the remote wire and the power wire so you can turn the amp on and off whenever you want. i also wired red neons i had tucked under the dash to the switch so when you turn it on the floor glows red and the subs hit. i did this on an 01 z24 because i get bad migrains but still need tunes to take my mind off of it without killing my self with bass.

Progression Page
          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21103

"PONTIAC" 3rd brake light overlay
          painted engine and battery covers
          K&N intake
          Decepticon badges (to be installed after painting)
          red GT and G6 badges (to be installed)
          grounding kit
          wires

Future Mods
          tower brace
          spoiler
          stripes

Comment

Originally posted by Wert842 View Post
            Not to be a downer, but going out and getting an aftermarket headunit is probably alot easier and better then getting an adapter. There's a wide range to chose, cheap or expensive, hd or sat compatible. They definitely have their advantages over stock radios. Even with a stock head unit it probably isn't even going to allow the full potential of a sub and amp set up. Just my 2 cents though.
            You are right that the stock deck won't unlock the full potential of the subs but it's a start. but and after market will give a clearer sound and unlock the full potential that your subs and amp have due to it's internal amplifier and sound processor.

As far as wiring the power wire and remote wire to a switch, it doesn't seem like a bad idea but I would be afraid of drawing too much current thru that switch with the power wire, remote, and the neons. Plus with doing it this way you lose the ability to operate the two seperately. Not to mention you can just turn down the bass on the head unit if you wanted a little less bump.
            sigpic
            MY PROGRESSION:

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Getting an aftermarket headunit is far from the easiest way. Especially if you've never done one before. And if you cheap out on one, you will have just as little control as with the stock headunit. Then if he has the monsoon system, he will have to worry about hooking the amp up to the headunit. In the end, the simplest, cheapest way of adding subs is using a line out convertor like neatong6er posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmanj View Post
                Getting an aftermarket headunit is far from the easiest way. Especially if you've never done one before. And if you cheap out on one, you will have just as little control as with the stock headunit. Then if he has the monsoon system, he will have to worry about hooking the amp up to the headunit. In the end, the simplest, cheapest way of adding subs is using a line out convertor like neatong6er posted.
                Well not necessarily. I found it very easy to install my aftermarket head unit, but i've been doing it for years so maybe it's just me. But if you're not looking to deal with ripping the whole dash off, soldering wire, and still want that factory look in you car, then yes the line out convertor is the easiest.
                sigpic
                MY PROGRESSION:

Comment

He said hes never really had a system in his car, so im assuming hes never installed a HU before. It can be very intimidating for a first timer to install a HU.

Comment

Even cheap Sony explodes have options to control the bass, sub, and whatever else you'd need to tune. My headunit I got off of BAMBAM was already put together and all I had to with it was connect the ports from stock to aftermarket. That took all the fun out of things, but it's not like I never put a headunit in. It usually takes an hour tops for a headunit install and it honestly would be a lot better than a stock unit even if it was a monsoon. I'm just throwing an idea out there to try to install an aftermarket instead of messing with stock wiring and splicing stuff and what not. If you need any help or have any questions about audio, I can try to answer them.
                    Last edited by Wert842; 06-19-2011, 03:51 PM.
                    Traded G6 - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17590
                    2006 G6 V6, 12" vinyl strip along windshield, 5% tint on all around, painted mirrors, Eibach Pro-Kit, CRABS Option 3, Dr. Speed FPU, 8k Highs/Lows with halogen fogs, tinted tails, custom Flowmaster 44 exhaust with resonator delete, and a Kenwood headunit along with a metra kit.

New Car - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22863
                    2009 Cobalt SS/TC, K&N SRI, ZZP catless DP, EFR 6758, Polished TC wheels, Injen Charge pipes, Retros, HPTuned, etc...

Comment

Even cheap Sony explodes have options to control the bass, sub, and whatever else you'd need to tune. My headunit I got off of BAMBAM was already put together and all I had to with it was connect the ports from stock to aftermarket. That took all the fun out of things, but it's not like I never put a headunit in. It usually takes an hour tops for a headunit install and it honestly would be a lot better than a stock unit even if it was a monsoon. I'm just throwing an idea out there to try to install an aftermarket instead of messing with stock wiring and splicing stuff and what not. If you need any help or have any questions about audio, I can try to answer them.
                      Well either way whatever he decides he wants to do we'll be more than happy to help him out and I think he got his answer so glad I could help you out.
                      sigpic
                      MY PROGRESSION:

Comment

Working...
                      X