Placement of XM Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placement of XM Antenna

Posted this in another thread, but I wanted to list it as a new topic so no one who could answer would miss it.

Will the XM antenna work from inside the car? If I placed it near the winshield on the dash. I am having trouble routing the wire for the antenna outside under the moldings. They seem to shallow on this car.

If it would work inside that would be great. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    - 2007 Granite Metallic GT Sedan/ Black Leather w/ Sport package;
    -Alpine CDA-9883, Infinity Reference 6-1/2, Polk DB690, Alpine Mono sub amp, Polk 12" sub;
    -Dr. Speed Stage 2 intake;
    - PIAA H11 yellow fogs;
    - 6000K HID kit;

I just routed an XM antenna the other day from the top of my windshield under the moulding using a key to pull the moulding up.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

It will probably work from the inside, actually I know it will but that's a big no no. You could try to find a way in the back that might work out better, just another option.

Comment

I used one of those small plastic tools that has an edge on both ends for prying up my moldings. I got it from an auto glass shop. But this is the problem I had--> the wire fit great along the top of the window, but about half way down I could barely squeeze it under the molding. It's almost like my winshield was off tilt or something, because on the passenger side it was the exact opposite. And I ran into the same problem with the rear glass also.

Why is it a big no no to install the antenna in the car? Just for the obvious potential reception problems?
        - 2007 Granite Metallic GT Sedan/ Black Leather w/ Sport package;
        -Alpine CDA-9883, Infinity Reference 6-1/2, Polk DB690, Alpine Mono sub amp, Polk 12" sub;
        -Dr. Speed Stage 2 intake;
        - PIAA H11 yellow fogs;
        - 6000K HID kit;

Comment

Originally posted by Digger
          Why is it a big no no to install the antenna in the car? Just for the obvious potential reception problems?
          Exactly, even though it will still work to a degree it shouldn't be mounted that way. XM will tell you to get it remounted if it ends up on the inside, like some shops do sometimes

Comment

Working...
          X