Port/Polish Cylinder Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port/Polish Cylinder Heads

Has anyone ever had experience in doing this before?

I'm well aware this is pretty serious surgery, but typically you can get 5-7% gain in power on a stock engine, not to mention in conjunction with intake/exhaust -- they're all mods that would compliment each other.

I'm not sure if I'll delve into this on the 6 yet, but I'll possibily be doing some head work on a redline.
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Granted I haven't seen inside a 3900 head yet, but... If previous GM engines have taught me anything, the casting on the heads is probably about as smooth as 40 grit sandpaper.

I wouldn't doubt seeing a 10-15 HP gain across the RPM band with some good headwork.
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

how much does that normally run to have a mechanic do that for you?
      BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

800-1000 bucks for everything (including installation).

If you're willing to install them and take a core set to a shop for porting only, you can probably get them worked over for about 400-600 bucks.
        2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

anyone done this to their 6er yet?

Comment

As far as I know this hasn't been done - thats why I asked about anyone with experience doing this.
            Originally posted by colinpeddle
            They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
            That here, by G6er law, we lie
            Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
            THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

You would probably want a tunable PCM too, just to take full advantage of the work.
              04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
              Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

I wish I wasnt such a frickn noob at this shit. Programmable pcm as in a reflash like HP provides, or programmable like incar tuning while you drive?

Comment

Tune would be best, but an adjustable FPR would be pretty good for this type of mod.
                  2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

if i were to purchase one of those do they come with a training manual on how to program or am ijust going to get screwed and blow up my engine?

Comment

Training manuals generally don't exist for a FPR. To do it right a wideband would be needed. There are general tuning guides out on the web so that you could at least see what all is involved.

Programmable like HP, or get a custom tune from Vector.
                      04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
                      Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
                        Tune would be best, but an adjustable FPR would be pretty good for this type of mod.
                        Though about getting an adjustable FPR before. I heard from a few people atleast say they have seen decent gains on Ford stock engines. Guess same be the same on GM engines.

I havent looked really into it but I heard the FPR on the G6 (fuel presure regulator for people that dont know, I use to be lost on that ) is in the gas tank with the pump and sending unit? So I have to pull the tank to change it? Curous because my T-bird the FPR was under the hood.
                        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                        Gotta have it Green color
                        Brembo brake package
                        420 HP 5.0L
                        Ford Racing Power Pack
                        GT500 track pack differential cover
                        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I can do light porting myself (lke gasket matching and surfacing the intake/exhaust ports). But as far as angled valve jobs n stuff like that, it gets pretty pricey but the results are worth it! Good thing for me, I only have one head. :smoke:
                          2007 G5 Base Model
                          Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Power can be gained, from massaging the heads, but nothing comes close the the efficiency of a turbo.

Turbo is where its at

Comment

you build a turbo kit and I'll buy it. How's that sound?

Comment

Working...
                              X