Using add a circuit to run LEDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using add a circuit to run LEDs?

I am trying to wire some LEDs under my dash and under the seats. I thought that using add a circuit may work. Has anyone used this to piggy back the dome and map light fuse? I tried to put it in the fuse for those lights and experimented with one strip I had by using the positive in the input for the add a circuit and the negative on a bolt by there and it didn't work. Any suggestions??
    Current mods:

Tinted tails, 5% tint all around with windshield strip, blacked door chrome, debadged, custom "Pontiac" on trunk, 55w HID 6000k, red interior trim, intake resonator delete, black 18" Malibu LTZ rims with Michelin 225/45 18, white map and dome LEDs, Racingline STB, red painted brake calipers.

To come:
    Lowering springs or coilovers.

Re: Using add a circuit to run LEDs?

I believe that the map light circuit is always hot, so it should work.
    Did you use a multimeter to test that there is actually current going through? Also, which way is the add-a-circuit wire coming out; up or down? I believe that the wire needs to be pointed up for current.
    If you are getting current and the led's still don't work then maybe they are broken or wired backwards.

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

No I didn't use a multimeter. I will try that advice thanks.
      Current mods:

Tinted tails, 5% tint all around with windshield strip, blacked door chrome, debadged, custom "Pontiac" on trunk, 55w HID 6000k, red interior trim, intake resonator delete, black 18" Malibu LTZ rims with Michelin 225/45 18, white map and dome LEDs, Racingline STB, red painted brake calipers.

To come:

Comment

Originally posted by BORN2SKI View Post
        I believe that the map light circuit is always hot, so it should work.
        Did you use a multimeter to test that there is actually current going through? Also, which way is the add-a-circuit wire coming out; up or down? I believe that the wire needs to be pointed up for current.
        If you are getting current and the led's still don't work then maybe they are broken or wired backwards.
        Fuses are not polarized. They work no matter how you put them in.
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

i believe BAMBAMM did it before. search for his progression.

______________________The Untouchable!____________________

Comment

This the pic you were thinking of?

It all depends on how/when you want the lights on

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I will try and do it as the picture states. Maybe itll work...I hope so.
              Current mods:

To come:

Comment

So I tried just to touch the wire for the negative switch with the doors closed and it still didn't work. Do I need to take off the red box with all the wires to do this. I'm lost and it's getting frustrating.
                Current mods:

To come:

Comment

No, and don't unless you absolutely must. And the lights will be off with the doors closed using this setup. When do you want them them to be on? And are you using a multimeter?

I have mine wired the same way as the picture a few posts below.

I used one of these on the end of the wire which is in the BCM (the red box with all the wires), it is called a disconnect terminal, or male disconnect terminal. You can put in the wire as is, but you may have a hard time getting it to stay in.

Comment

I would like the lights to come on with the doors open. And no i haven't used a multimeter yet. So use one of these male disconnect terminal pieces and just shove it in with the other wire? Or do I need to take the BCM off and put both wires into this then put it in? Also, what kind of wires did you use to wire all this up, just speaker wire?
                    Current mods:

To come:

Comment

I used home theater speaker wire, you dont need thick wire because LED's dont use much current.
                      Thereis no need to take the harness out after you have the black cover off, and you dont even need a male disconnect, I just found that the wire stays in better with it. Basically you just need to make the wire secure such that it has good contact and wont come out on its own.

Comment

OK thanks I will try to make this work.
                        Current mods:

To come:

Comment

Working...
                        X