Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chevy 4.3 lt 262 headers or supercharger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy 4.3 lt 262 headers or supercharger?

i own a chevy s-10 xtreme, with the vortec 4.3 high output, any one know if the moter, and car is strong enoufgh to handle a supercharger?
    Headers
    0%
    Supercharger
    0%
    neither
    0%
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    They cleaned my thing out
    g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
    2007 honda vtx1300

Re: Chevy 4.3 lt 262

Originally posted by keith87
    i own a chevy s-10 xtreme, with the vortec 4.3 high output, any one know if the moter, and car is strong enoufgh to handle a supercharger?
    I personally havent messed with a 4.3L but from what I understand they can be a VERY mean motor. Its exactly the 5.7L 350 with just the back two cylinders missing just like the Ford 3.8L is also a 5.0L with the two missing too. The 4.3L motor can handle a supercharger plus. Want some bang on the engine, from what I understand the "Nascar" heads (I belive there called) adds a pretty good amount of HP and torque.

On the rear and tranny, I have no clue whats in your Xtrem, but the 4.3L is def a good motor to handle boost (I dont know how much PSI, guessing 8-10)

I suggest going to Yahoo ect and searching for a chevy xtrem site for all the details. If cant find any (which I think you prob can) search for 4.3L compatiable sites.

Good luck!
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

thanks, i added a hyper tech powerprogrammer 2 it, and its great, but since its not my daily driver, i want more power, screw the fule costs and all of that. The purpose of this car is to have fun, i guess i will start saving some x-tra cash to get it for next summer
      g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
      2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Yeah, 4.3's are super good engines. I've seen some run way above 400K... not to mention the abuse they can take so I say go for it.
        Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

Originally posted by MalibuMaxx
          Yeah, 4.3's are super good engines. I've seen some run way above 400K... not to mention the abuse they can take so I say go for it.
          My company has a two 2000 GMC Safari with the vortech 4.3Ls and one has 270K miles on it, make NO noise, and goes through just one quart of oil every 3K miles! I know becuase I do the basic fluid level checks on them, we change the oil every 5K because alot of open road driving. The truck so far the tranny went on it and the fuel injector system though but the engine its self keeps on running with no problems, still averages 20 ish MPG! lol

2013 Mustang GT
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

i just had the trans rebuilt, and i only have 66,000 on it, i am thinking im only gonna put a couple thousand on a year, so it will prob ably last 4 some time
            g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
            2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

A good friend of mine has an '02 . Nice little truck , but the tranny needed replacing at less than 100k...

It's not really that fast for the amount of displacement. Handles nice ...looks good, but it's a pretty mediocre ride.
              2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Comment

i agree witth that, stock it was not vary fast, but when i started adding stuff 2 it, it got better, the exhaust and programmer really helped, i wana add hedders eventually, just need 2 decide what to do first, the headers or supercharger.
                g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
                2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Originally posted by keith87
                  i agree witth that, stock it was not vary fast, but when i started adding stuff 2 it, it got better, the exhaust and programmer really helped, i wana add hedders eventually, just need 2 decide what to do first, the headers or supercharger.
                  Do the supercharger! People can debate this alot if they want but from my experences, if you already have exhaust done then headers might not be as important as people may think. Yes there is pick up still but on some engines putting headers on you notice another decent/big pick up as other engines you may notice very little.

I think of headers as a finally tune not as much as a HP pick up toy. I would supercharge it and then finally when your ready do headers. If and when headers are avalible for the GTP 3900, I wont do them for awhile or possibley may not do them at all, that will have to be decided at that time. But on the G6 there will be a pick up becuase if you look under the car there real bottle neck going on down there with the Y-pipe. But back to what I was saying, when it becomes that time if headers are avalible for the G6 I would pull the heads first to do head work instead of headers first.

2013 Mustang GT
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

I'd be very concerned about that transmission. That is definitely not one of GM's better ones. Even with it being rebuilt, I wouldn't risk it by putting asupercharger on it. Save your money and spend it on the 6er
                    Originally posted by colinpeddle
                    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                    That here, by G6er law, we lie
                    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

There are plenty of s10s out there that are SC. If you have an auto, i would be a little concerned about the tranny. But nothing that upgrading couldnt help. Do it!
                      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

4L60-E is a pretty tough tranny...it's the same base they use for the C5 automatic tranny. add the corvette servo and a longer shift pin and thing will bang gears with a supercharger.

i know Powerdyne and Vortech both make 4.3L kits for s-series trucks. i suggest you head on over to the Blowers & Bottles section of http://www.s10forum.com as i am sure you can find more answers than you have questions

Comment

My b/f had a 4.3L Sonoma.. that truck seemed like it could handle anything(he always talked about a S/Cer..) So I'd say do some research & try it out... And yeah, he threw a hypertech into it also, which sorta seemed to help..

As a side note.. his tranny was replaced at about 110,000 Miles.

Good luck!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

i had the hypertech 3 on my truck but all it was good for was bumping the top speed limiter up (98 is a little ridiculous). i didn't get any other benefits out of it, the power gains were a joke and moving shift points around didn't seem to do anything so for several hundred dollars it's a waste. i'd say get a real PCM reflash from somebody like http://www.pcmforless.com/ instead cause they can tune it to work with your supercharger setup.

Comment

I could tell a slight difference in the torque w/ the hypertech.. but other than that..

And for the whole 97-98 MPH Governor... thats a BIG

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Working...
                              X