• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-R Exhaust

Brand: GT-R (by Classic Performance)
    Price: $549 + shipping for forum members
    Purchased From: http://www.Classic4Performance.com

Installation: Very easy to install. Getting the stock piece of junk off is another story but the new stuff fits into place very nicely.
    Installation Time: About 2 hours, but give yourself 3.
    Any Installation Tips You Have: Three major things..

First off, make sure you have a friend helping you. You will spend 8 hours doing this yourself or just 2 if you have an extra pair of hands.

Second, WD40 all the stock hangers about 10 minutes before you dig into the system. The dry hangers will hold onto the stock system like you wouldn't believe, WD helps to loosen them up quite a bit.

Third, put the entire system in and line it up BEFORE you start tightening things up. Once you clamp it down tight (they take a LOT of force to tighten them... seriously) the bigger end of the two pipes will be compressed, making it more difficult to remove and play around with the fitment to get things right. You will need to adjust it to get the tips where they need to be. and also to make sure you don't have any kind of rattling because you rushed it and left a pipe touching the undercarriage which your girlfriend will call "that bad rattle sound" and ask you "do all mufflers sound like that" and it will piss you off when all you want to do is get back home and enjoy your damn Sesame chicken combo in peace. Is that so much to freakin ask for?

Other than those three things.. don't reuse your stock gasket (duh) because it sucks. Use the copper stuff that Sam mentions in the instructions, instead. Also, don't forget the washers for the flange bolts!

Quality of Part: 10
    Product Performance: 10
    Would you Recommend to Others: Yes. I have the Doctor Speed Cold Air Box and the Vector tune already. When I installed this system, I noticed a performance improvement right away.

Any Other Comments: To be honest I could go on for an hour about this. I was very impressed when I took this out of the box. I've seen custom systems before and I've seen my share of professionally made, machine welded systems.

The GT-R system is so well-crafted that you would think you just opened a box with Borla on the front of it. I've rarely seen welds as clean as Sam's, his experience really shows itself in this area. Every single part fit right into the hangers. His hangers are noticeably more forgiving than stock, so you can adjust things exactly how you want them.

The sound is exactly like the sound clips on here. Joey (disposablehero) posted them a loooooong time ago in video form. I believe those are the closest representation of the sound. Just a heads up, it will sound a bit.. I dunno.. funny at first start-up. It smooths out dramatically over the course of a week and it is much more mellow and deep.
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Re: GT-R Exhaust

Very thorough write-up kyle, thanks.

Originally posted by G6Performance
    and also to make sure you don't have any kind of rattling because you rushed it and left a pipe touching the undercarriage which your girlfriend will call "that bad rattle sound" and ask you "do all mufflers sound like that" and it will piss you off when all you want to do is get back home and enjoy your damn Sesame chicken combo in peace. Is that so much to freakin ask for?
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

and also to make sure you don't have any kind of rattling because you rushed it and left a pipe touching the undercarriage which your girlfriend will call "that bad rattle sound" and ask you "do all mufflers sound like that" and it will piss you off when all you want to do is get back home and enjoy your damn Sesame chicken combo in peace. Is that so much to freakin ask for?
      OMG I laughed so f*ckin' hard

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
      - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
      - DS S3 Intake
      - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

My friends pretty much put it on for me and they didn't tighten it up enough. Well they were hung over the next day so never happened heh. But yeah still needs tightened up lol. Its a really nice system tho and my friends were the opposite they couldn't how easy it was to get the exhaust off.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

Nice review! And nice pic too!!
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeGTP
            OMG I laughed so f*ckin' hard
            Yeah, my girl does the same thing. "Is it supposed to do that ?"
            BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

That was a great review. Kyle brings up an important issue about the sound. These mufflers are packed with a stainless mesh, and it take several heat cycles (hard driving) to get the mesh to settle. This is what I call the break in period. Once this happens, the system will take up a much nicer deeper tone. This would be the same with Borla or any other muffler that is constructed the same way.

Comment

ehh just makes me want one more and more, guess what tonight at work I was thinking (well I'm still at work ). I'm going to put away $100 from every check so 200/month for 2.5 months then I'm just putting my order in!! I've been wanting this exhaust for ages and I'm GOING to buy it finally.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Well, I've had my GT-R exhaust on for just over a week.

I had two issues when installing:

First, the female end of one pipe was slightly bent during shipping. I bent it back with a pair of pliers to make the male end fit.

Second, I think the exhaust shifted slightly after I installed it, because it developed a nasty sounding rattle. One of the pipes ended up about 1/8" from the frame and under certain conditions would rattle like crazy. Making adjustments after it's been installed is really difficult. I ended up taking the whole thing down and reinstalling it, which fixed the rattle. Putting it back together after the clamps have been tightened is a major pain in the ass, because as Kyle said one pipe gets compressed making it harder to fit them together.

Now that's it's fixed, this thing puts a grin on my face every time I start my car. The motor has really opened up over 3,500 RPM, and it sounds awesome. The video clips don't do it justice - it sounds better in person. There is a slight rumble when cruising on the highway, but nothing intrusive. I find myself driving around with the stereo off and windows open just so I can hear it. I love dropping into second gear when coasting and listening to the back pops. The best part is my mileage hasn't changed, even though I spend way more time over 3,500 RPM now.

If you are at all thinking about an aftermarket exhaust, look no further.

Comment

8 hours? Kyle you noob lol. j/k
                    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrider
                      8 hours? Kyle you noob lol. j/k
                      No kidding, took me about 2.5 hours by myself.

Comment

so about how much more power do u gain from it

Comment

^

I'm not even touching this one!
                          2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by diablo9287
                            so about how much more power do u gain from it
                            Please use the search or go to the GT-R exhaust thread in Performance.

Thanks,

John
                            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

that dude from clubg5 by chance

Comment

Working...
                              X