G6 GT Street Edition Grille Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G6 GT Street Edition Grille Issue

Hey i have a 2008 G6 GT Street Edition. The grilles as many of you probably know are similar to the ones they put on the G6 GXP. The problem that I am facing is that for some reason the finish or the metal (not sure what exactly is put on them) is peeling leaving a black/dark gray and takes away from the appearance. They are expensive to get aftermarket and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I dont think i have the 3 year/36,000 miles from gm, i have the 12 month/12000 miles (because i bought it used) bumper to bumper. Has anyone with this problem got the dealer to replace them? If so, under what circumstances. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Re: G6 GT Street Edition Grille Issue

Originally posted by GT-Unit View Post
    Hey i have a 2008 G6 GT Street Edition. The grilles as many of you probably know are similar to the ones they put on the G6 GXP. The problem that I am facing is that for some reason the finish or the metal (not sure what exactly is put on them) is peeling leaving a black/dark gray and takes away from the appearance. They are expensive to get aftermarket and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I dont think i have the 3 year/36,000 miles from gm, i have the 12 month/12000 miles (because i bought it used) bumper to bumper. Has anyone with this problem got the dealer to replace them? If so, under what circumstances. Thanks in advanced for the help.
    all 07 and newer have the 3yr/36k mile transferable bumper to bumper warranty if you get it certified used it turns it into 4yrs/48k miles

Comment

Ok Do you have experience or is just a fact that is implied? Does anyone have experience with them actually having the problem or getting it replaced?

Comment

Should be covered, I was still in my warranty and I had the pontiac badge falling off, they covered it. So I am pretty sure they will cover the grille.
        MODSGT-R, HIDS 6000K, 8000K FOGS, 35% TINT, K&N INTAKE, CRAB HEAT SHIELD, Cquence Rotors

Comment

The original 3 year/36,000 is gone and i bought it used and they gave me 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper so would the warranty they gave me cover it?

Comment

if its under those 12 months ya but if not no.....go there and find out
            GMPP Cat-Back Exhaust, MMS Headers, 3" DP with Electric cutout, Full CRAB Intake, RacingLine Street Motor Mounts, NRG Engine Damper, RacingLine Strut Tower Bar, Vector 91 ECM/TCM Tune/HSRK, R1Concept Brakes, HAWK Ceramic Pads, DW's 245/45/18 with TC Wheels, Poly. Sway Bar Bushings, 6000K HID's Lows & Fogs 35watts & 55watts 6,000K Hi-beams

Future: Slicks for the track & Maybe alittle Nitrous

Comment

Alright I plan on going to one up here at college Thursday and talking to the service manager. Then let you know what happens

Comment

Went to one dealership today to get it looked at. The guy didnt pull anything up on warranties or coverage i just straight up asked him and then he responded that they werent. Should i try a different one? Or does this guy know what he was talking about.

Comment

Are the grilles plated or just painted from factory? Because if they are platted won't i have to sand blast them to get the paint to bond to the grille?

Comment

I actually had the mesh of my GXP grills powder coated flat black.
                    2009 Ford Mustang Premium Pony 4.0L
                    2001 GMC Sierra SL 4.3L

Comment

That actually looks very good! Around how much did that cost to get them powder coated?

Comment

My friend has one of the do it yourself powdercoating kits from eastwood, so there was no cost to me. I had the grills taken out while my bumper was being replaced from some damage. Powder coat seems to be a little more durable than paint for parts like this.
                        2009 Ford Mustang Premium Pony 4.0L
                        2001 GMC Sierra SL 4.3L

Comment

Yea it does seem like it would last longer. I can take the grilles as i was able to get the procedure on how to remove them. So it is just a matter of how i decide to repaint them.

Comment

Originally posted by GT-Unit View Post
                            Yea it does seem like it would last longer. I can take the grilles as i was able to get the procedure on how to remove them. So it is just a matter of how i decide to repaint them.
                            Where did you get the the procedure to remove them? I have a 2008 G6 GT Street Edition with the grille paint problem. I am looking to buy grilles for a 2008 GXP on Ebay for $150 and replace them.

Comment

My uncle knows someone that works at a dealership and had them pull it up and print it off and sent it to me. I ended up getting my grilles replaced under warranty so I ended up not needing the procedure, although I am not sure where I placed it. I know there is a tutorial on how to remove the base line g6 grilles. It is similar in that the bezel is only held on by 4 or 5 clips that u can easily, with a screw driver and card, push on a little and pop it off. Then the grilles are only held in place by a few clips that you can easily pull out. When doing this though be extremely careful as the clips can easily fall down into the bumper and are easy to loose. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hope this helps somewhat

Comment

Working...
                              X