Trunk Sub Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Sub Questions

Ive been lurking the car audio section for a while, and have some questions regarding subs in the trunk. But first, background. My car doesn't have the monsoon, and I replaced the speakers all around the car with powerbass speakers. I just purchased a Kenwood DDX-418 and all accessories to make it work. Last thing I want to do for now is a sub-woofer(s) setup.

Questions:
    1.) Is it possible to fit a 10" sub in the trunk cutouts to the left and the right of the trunk? I need the room to move long objects so i don't wanna block my seats.

2.) Where else do people put subs to save space?

3.)What is the best route to run the RCA/speaker cables up? I'm thinking driver side foot board.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Trunk Sub Questions

1) yes
    2) if you don't need your spare tire you could put it in there. If you can't block your seats there isnt really anywhere else to put one.
    3) imo te best route is just to go behind the glovebox and down the passenger side door sill to the trunk.

Comment

Custom-fit fiberglass enclosure with 10" W3v3 subwoofer Fits 1999-2006 Volkswagen Golf and GTI IV models

I'm going to be building an enclosure similar to this for my Saturn Aura. If you've ever used fiberglass it's something you may be able to do. I will post pictures of my build once I start it. This enclosure is nice because it takes up zero trunk space and you still have a spare tire.

Comment

I think they recommend running the rcas on the opposite side of the car as the power cable. So i would go down the passenger side since the power will be going down the drivers side.

Dark Steel Gray Metallic 2.4 litre ecotec, 5% lumar tint on the back, Luminics Ultra White 5150k headlights, 12" Kicker Comp VR sub, 300.1 Rockford Fosgate amp, K & N Drop in air filter, Leds under dash and in trunk, Debadged, Red Calipers, Black Overlays on Emblems.

Comment

im going to second dmaj on all 3, you can put a sub in the spare tire well, its the best place to put it, gives you opportunity for addequete air space for the sub however if you have a small sub requiring small air space you can put one on the side of the trunk probably a small 10 inch sub would work
          Profession: Mobile Audio/Video and Electronics Sales
          Experience: 10+ years
          Rides: 07 Grand Prix GXP, 08 G6 v6, 78 Camaro(under construction)

Comment

You should be able to get at least 1 cu. ft. of air space out of the spare tire well. If you don't mind not having a spare tire it's a pretty easy enclosure to build. If you google spare tire sub enclosure there's a lot of information on building the enclosures. I've built a few and have always used fiberglass for the shell of the spare tire well.

Comment

1 10 in a sealed box isnt going to take up that much room anyways...you could push it to the left or the right to slide long objects in ur trunk. but they make nice stealth boxes that fit where the spare is or to the left or right i dont know if you have a sedan or a coupe but on the other site a guy markpersonii is selling a box that fits on the right side of the trunk nicely for like 100 and shipping or something. also, either way you run the cord will work through the driver side or through the passenger side mine went down the middle but i didnt install it myself, if you go through the driver side my best understanding is to drill a hole in the firewall and run it down through that.

Comment

does anyone know how to remove the spare tire bolt? its seriously a pain, and its blocking all of my option for the sub install.

Comment

Does it not just unscrew from under the car? If not you may just have to cut it off

Comment

Originally posted by Dmanj View Post
                    Does it not just unscrew from under the car? If not you may just have to cut it off
                    I believe it's welded in. Sawsall will take care of that.

If you have the sedan you can also put it in the rear wheel well. check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PONTIAC-G6-SEDAN...item518e9af988
                    sigpic
                    MY PROGRESSION:
                    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

imo there is no easy way to do it, you should build a custom box that will slip right into the side of the trunk where you want... you can look into something like the G5's and Cobalts have:

Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

Working...
                      X