Question on Headlight Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Headlight Bulbs

Ok, so I am looking to change my headlights to some bright whites and I have come upon these HID light kits that cost $300-ish, but the bulbs cost $30-ish, anyone care to explain the difference of them to me? If the output is the same, why pay 10x as much? If anyone can tell me the advantage of the more expensive ones or atleast what they do different then change the bulbs, it would be a great help. I realize this is kind of a noob question but I am a noob
    Crimson Red '06 G6 V6

It's a whole different system... true HID's involved ballasts and wires and more wattage haha.. read up on the net about them so you can fully undersand them..
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Yea, ok, after doing some research, I understand what the difference is but is it worth spending 10x the amount? I am not being critical here, I will if it truely makes a difference in lighting quality.
      Crimson Red '06 G6 V6

Comment

They are working on a group buy in this forum... is it worth it, definatly if you want to or have the money to spend. My buddy has them on his trailblazer and another trailblazer has just bulbs changed, the difference is night and day. Me personally I dont need the extra light for anything so I just swapped bulbs lol

Comment

Lol yeah i bought some like $10 bulbs on ebay from a brand called Euro Designz or something like that, 8500K BERLY LEGALLLLLLL

I hope its a good brand
          2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

Is it worth it in regards to light output? Yes

BUT putting HID's in reflectors meant for halogen is asking for trouble, the glare is terrible. I had HID's in my Grand Am for about 6 months and got rid of them because they where to blinding other drivers. I get flashed enough as is in the G6.
            2009 Panther Black G8 GT
            334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Teelo... make sure you check and double check the wattage on those bulbs off of ebay.. I know about 3 people who had their headlight wire harnesses FRIED due to over wattage bulbs!

Comment

Teelo... make sure you check and double check the wattage on those bulbs off of ebay.. I know about 3 people who had their headlight wire harnesses FRIED due to over wattage bulbs!
                Good point red. You can usualy get away with 10Watts over stock but I wouldent push anymore than that. I personaly would just stick with 55 for the lows and 65's for the high's
                2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Hm it doesnt state in the auction what the wattage is but in the item name it says "Pontiac G6" so if they give me problems im going to annoy the hell out of them until they pay to replace anything damaged. Dunno if these means anything but it says " 2 TIMES BRIGHTER with no extra current draw". So I dont know how much wattage it is
                  2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

Teelo-I run Nokya Arctic Whites along with a couple other members and also my good friend in his Silverado and we have never had problems with them burning the wiring. The wattage on the H11's are 100 watt and they are brighter than hell. I would say go for those. Actually a friend of mine that I just sold my old HID to thought my G6 had HID's stock because the Nokya's are so bright.

weirdo0815-yes the HID's are completely worth it. No filament bulb will ever come close to the brightness of an HID setup. I had them in my previous car in reflector housings and I loved them-I was always getting compliments on them. I'm working a group buy right now for a HID conversion kit for our cars in 6000K-3000 lumens so they are crystal white but really really bright. If your interested let me know and if your completely commited I'll throw your name on the list.
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

teelo, I personally would find a pair of Nyokas... using some generic brand is only going to cause problems... you got three good reviews on them and if you fry your harness.. good luck getting someone from ebay (of all places) to fix ur car.. not to mention you can kiss any warrenty work goodbye!!

Comment

Oh yeah and regardless of what bulbs you put in, like simplyred stated I would install Nokyas (like I did), remember you're gonna have to readjust your lights and bring them way down-at least for the Nokya's.
                        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

i just recieved my h9 arctic whites, but quick request...can someone go into a little more detail on how to remove the headlight fixture?? the manual says pry the headlight away from the fender...and i must be doing something wrong cause its not coming out

Comment

Just wondering why would you get your H9's first (highbeams) and maybe you'll want to wait to get your H11's and do it all in one shot? The manuals dead on in explaining it, just work the light till the ball and socket break free (you'll see what I mean when you get it out). Be forceful but not crazy, it will come out! I used a screwdrive which I wouldnt really recommend but it works if your careful!

Comment

P.S.- Work the light to the left or right (depending on which side your on obviously). I was nervous the first time as I'm sure most of us were, but like I said just work it a little harder and it will come out!

Comment

Working...
                              X