Dynamatted the trunk tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamatted the trunk tonight

I picked up two rolls of 2'x4' dynamat tonight at best buy and put it in when i got home on the trunk. 2 hours and 1.5 rolls later I was sad to see the result. The dynamat DEFINATLY sound proofed the TOP of the trunk, but it redirected the bass waves into the tail light assembly and now they rattle like hell... Sucks...

So i guess tomorrow ill be heading back to best buy and I will commence to taking my amp off of my sub box so i can remove the lining from the trunk, then get that 'matted. Cheers
    2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

I would also suggest yanking the tail light assembly if it isn't a chore to remove and putting some dynamat right behind them.

Also, don't forget to put a small strip on your license plate if it's only being held on by two screws. Nothing kills me more than when someone has a $2,000+ system that sounds awesome in the car, but then you get out of the car and it sounds like total ass because the license plate is rattling like there is no tomorrow.
    -Kevin
    2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
    2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Yeah i took care of the license plate about a week ago, just put some rubber strips behind it...doesnt even have to be dynamat

Oh yeah and the spare tire well is also being a bitch but that one wont be hard at all to lay dynamat on, basically just a bunch of flat sheet metal

DAMN this is going to start costing a lot of money
      2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

it certainly does.. by the time ur done you might as well literally dynamat the entire trunk.. because the rattles will keep moving.. I'd be willing to bed the rear deck is next!!!
        Originally posted by Toyz
        Originally posted by simplyred
        what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
        As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

yep your right, spent my time wisely and had the whole back end stripped in 30 minutes... turn out i had to take out my amp and sub box just so i could get the liner. heres pics

What I matted tonight-

What im going to mat tomorrow or this next week sometime-

Please tell me how you think i did on the trunk? I need pointers

Comment

Looks pretty decent to me Teelo, I'd just take a little more time and really work everything smooth and flat so there's no bumps or bubbles-it does look good though.
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thanks man, you just helped my self confidence!

Comment

UPDATE: Just ordered 72 sq. feet of dynamat xtreme off of ebay for $230

Comment

yeah if you dont have it.. I would definatly get the wooden roller, rubbers not bad but wood is better... I would spend time just using the roller and getting it as tight and smooth as possible. If I'm not mistaken you can use a heatgun or blowdryer to make it easier?!
                  Originally posted by Toyz
                  Originally posted by simplyred
                  what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                  As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I love dynomat it works wonders. My brother did the entire cab of his Dodge Ram and the thing is like your in a sound booth. The entire ride is changed with how quiet it is.
                    The roller is definitely the way to go.
                    The pix look great though. Nice job.

L8R,
                    Sterling
                    2006 G6 GT Black 4 Door. Remote Start, Black Heated Leather, Three Spoke Wheel w/ cruise and Radio Controls,RED calipers by DupliColor, 27% Tint,Vent Visors, Hood Lift Kit, Nokya Artic White H/L Bulbs. 2 10" Infinity Subs w/960RMS Amp.
                    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slrkappa/ ... EBJMLIV8fX
                    USMC F18 Jet Mechanic.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Just remember a little dynamat goes a long way. It's just as effective if you cut 6" x 6" squares and strategically place them rather than using huge pieces. You probably could've gotten away with using half that much on your trunk lid, but since it's already on I'd leave it.
                        -Kevin
                        2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
                        2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Working...
                        X