Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An unofficial "update?" on the Onstar MyLink app for 2010 and older....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unofficial "update?" on the Onstar MyLink app for 2010 and older....

I know many of you have been waiting for an update from OnStar regarding the MyLink application and 2010 (and older) vehicles. I’ve been waiting as well as I’d like to use it on my 2010 Terrain which is obviously currently unsupported. Not wanting to wait for news that I could investigate on my own I started doing some testing on a few vehicles and here is what I found:

2010 Global A Vehicles are more than likely going to be in luck, even with the Gen 8 hardware if the same command is sent via the VCIM to the BCM all of the OnStar enhanced functions (IE remote start) work as designed. This is good news as the 2011’s have slightly revised BCM hardware and considerably revised BCM calibrations (as well as other modules) as well as the Gen 9 VCIM. What this means in layman’s terms is that if you have a 2010 on the NEW style bus architecture (Camaro, Lacrosse, Terrain, Equinox, SRX; did I miss any?) You are more than likely going to be getting support however it MAY require a VCIM software update depending on how they choose to implement it.
    So what does this mean for the old vehicles? I’m guessing more than likely the older vehicles won’t be supported for a myriad of reasons however the biggest one being it appears the BCM in those vehicles (as well as the VCIM) were never setup for that type of interaction. The remote door lock/unlock light flash and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown (Old bus architecture with Gen 8 hardware) are still available commands.
    My personal opinion (and its worth as much as you’ve just paid for it lol) is that GM will not likely invest any money into recalibrating multiple modules AND writing new software for the mobile devices to make remote functions via the phone a reality. I sure wouldn’t blame them; it will likely cost way more money than they will get in return.
    If I get some time later (and people are actually interested) I can take a video of me emulating the OnStar module on a 2010 vehicle and doing some of the functions like remote start etc.
    Chris White
    http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
    2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
    2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
    2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
    2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC
Working...
X