Forged Internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forged Internals

I was wondering if the 3.9L already had forged internals or not. If its does it would make my life alot easier if not then oh well then. I just was wondering since sometime down the road I want to turbocharge my car.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

I believe the rods are. pistons are cast.
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
      I believe the rods are. pistons are cast.
      Most 60 degree v6 Rods are forged for the factory, and all they really need it a good shotpean(Sp) As for the pistons they're cast.
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

If you don't go crazy with boost, and get it tuned properly, the cast pistions will be fine. If the tune is off, and it starts to detonate, you'll end up with a mess.

You will need to upgrade the fuel injectors, or go with supplemental injectores, that come on only under boost.

Comment

I would think that the oil squirters (at least in the 3.9) would help with det some. As a rule OEMs do not use forged pistons since the cost vs. warranty is not even remotely close enough to do it.

disclaimer: yes, I know some cars come with forged pistons and the manu. is always bragging about it, just like in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline.
          04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
          Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

can you run maybe 10:1 piston compresion in these????
            !~ByGe~! or !~bYgShReK~!

EVERYDAY IM HUSTLIN 24\7 365 DAYS

06' GTP COUPE, STAGE 3 CAI, CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
            FUTURE MODS THIS YEAR: anything that gives horsepower to the wheels cuz money aint a issue
            SHOOTING FOR HIGH 13'S
            14.552 @ 98.20 in the 1\4 mile

Comment

Originally posted by ByGeSg6GTP
              You can run anything that you want to. All you need is a fat checkbook. As far as I know no one makes a new piston specifically for the 3.9, but you may be able to use one from a LS1 (?? newest Camaro), with some bore work done too.

It wouldn't be cheap, and your car would be down for months probably, but it would be really cool to do.

Also 10:1 wouldn't be worth while since the motor is already 9.8:1. I would go at least 10.5:1. Even that would be soft though. Go big or go home.
              04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
              Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
                Originally posted by ByGeSg6GTP
                You can run anything that you want to. All you need is a fat checkbook. As far as I know no one makes a new piston specifically for the 3.9, but you may be able to use one from a LS1 (?? newest Camaro), with some bore work done too.

It wouldn't be cheap, and your car would be down for months probably, but it would be really cool to do.

Also 10:1 wouldn't be worth while since the motor is already 9.8:1. I would go at least 10.5:1. Even that would be soft though. Go big or go home.
                DOOOO IIITTTT

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                - DS S3 Intake
                - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

well i could if its less than what igot... if its more than 4k than forget it... thats all the junk money i can use right now...
                  !~ByGe~! or !~bYgShReK~!

EVERYDAY IM HUSTLIN 24\7 365 DAYS

06' GTP COUPE, STAGE 3 CAI, CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
                  FUTURE MODS THIS YEAR: anything that gives horsepower to the wheels cuz money aint a issue
                  SHOOTING FOR HIGH 13'S
                  14.552 @ 98.20 in the 1\4 mile

Comment

The best mod for the G6 is a turbo. Turbos don't rob power because they are spun by the exhaust gasses being produced. By the time you get thru modifying the engine, you'll have as much if not more $$ than if you went with a turbo, and the turbo will be more efficient hands down. By efficient I mean make more power.

Something everybody needs to realize is, that bolting power adders is not the real issue here. Making sure that the tune is 100% right on the money is your main concern. That, and making sure the power train will handle the added power. Wheather you mod the engine, supercharge it, turbo charge it, etc. etc. Doing any of the above will costs lots of $$ and lots of time and hard work. When adding that much power, all it takes is a few seconds to destroy the engine, if it's not properly tuned.

The first step, is figuring out what form of fuel delivery and tuning system, is available in order to reach the goal.

Comment

The only thing that LS1 Pistons have in common with the 3900 is the bore size.

JE will gladly make you a set of pistions to what ever specs you want for about 100 dollars a piston.
                      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrider
                        The only thing that LS1 Pistons have in common with the 3900 is the bore size.

JE will gladly make you a set of pistions to what ever specs you want for about 100 dollars a piston.
                        Yeap, they are the ones that made the pistons for one of my projects. I paid a little more for mine, as they were also coated.

Comment

Not for nothing, but if you are going to turbo later, you DON'T want to raise your compression. Upward compression change will add a good amount of cylinder pressure....... and so will the Turbo!! There are times when you have to LOWER the comp ratio for a turbo to operate efficiently, but you should be OK with stock compression as long as you don't get crazy with the boost pressure. And, like GT-R says, its the best AND the most cost effective way to go. When all is said and done though, if you don't have someone to adjust the ECU mapping correctly for timing and fuel, then forget it.

Comment

Working...
                          X