Conversion to Mobil 1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion to Mobil 1!

Today I went to my local oil place and switched to synthetic. I read the threads here and I gave it some serious thought on a cost basis (I am a financial analyst). Here are the reasons why I switched...

1. 7k miles between oil changes
    2. Better engine performance
    3. Increased gas mileage
    4. cleaner engine
    5. Cost

Now, it sounds strange that I switched because of cost. But an average oil change every 3k miles is almost 35 bucks for a high quality oil vs. 60 bucks every 7k miles with mobil 1. On top of the cost benefits I can also feel good about taking the best car of my vehicle. I know that in a year I will get a newer vehicle but I take pride in what I have and hope that the person I pass the car onto will appreciate my efforts. It never hurts to have a higher resale value because you took exceptional care of your car!

I must say, with the switch I can DEFINENTLY feel a difference in performance and it was the easiest mod I could have ever done.

Thanks for all the great info everyone has contributed, it made the choice to switch very easy! :warped:
    2006 GTP Sedan, Black, 18% Carbon Tint All Around...
    The G-Spot

Dont go 7k. I really wouldn't. After working at a few Lube places and doing MANY MANY MANY oil changes... and doing my homework, synthetic breaks down too. Your only good for "7k" under normal driving conditions. Meaning, windows up, no a/c, on the highway, 55 mph... always. Stop and go driving is "severe" and therefore the intervals are more frequent. I do 3k. Period. With Mobil 1 synthetic. Oil life monitors can't detect oil impurities.

Oh, as far as my opinion. I stick with M1 5w30 through and through. I'll never use anything else in my G6.

(Actually, I think theres quite a few threads on this topic)
    2007 G5 Base Model
    Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think the change intervals are all a matter of personal choice... All the articles I have read suggest every 7k miles for synthetic.

Synthetic was developed for jet engines originally because they would burn through regular oil in 20mins.

I dont plan on any high speed take offs so no need to throw money (and oil) down the drain.
      2006 GTP Sedan, Black, 18% Carbon Tint All Around...
      The G-Spot

Comment

i change mine every 2-2500 miles... i use something thats for high performance... i dont pay much attention to what its ccalled... but yeah...

7k miles is really hight... 5k is high as well.. your prolly pushing it til the last drop of oil b4 u get a change when u talkin bout 7k miles
        !~ByGe~! or !~bYgShReK~!

EVERYDAY IM HUSTLIN 24\7 365 DAYS

06' GTP COUPE, STAGE 3 CAI, CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
        FUTURE MODS THIS YEAR: anything that gives horsepower to the wheels cuz money aint a issue
        SHOOTING FOR HIGH 13'S
        14.552 @ 98.20 in the 1\4 mile

Comment

oil changes are over-rated. i'm at almost 5k right now on conventional and the DIC says i have 40% left. i'll change it before i head to TN for thanksgiving. don't listen to your grandfather...engines don't break down oil like they used to...or like oil companies want you to believe that they do.

Comment

Based on oil analysis data, conventional oil can last anywhere from 3000 miles (severe service) to 10000 miles (ideal perfect conditions). Synthetic oil offers better protection and oil change interval can be extended slightly.

The 3000 miles change interval is still recommended for both conventional and synthetic oil. Chances are for normal driving conditions, the oil is still good and you are changing it prematurely at 3000 miles. But without the luxury of an actual oil analysis, you don't know how much life is left. So it's better to err on the safe side and not extend the oil change interval regardless of what oil you use.

The study was done about 15 years ago so things may have changed. The current oil life monitor system uses algorithim and probability to estimate when the oil should be changed. Because it only gives an optimistic estimation, it is advisable to change the oil before the system's indicator appears.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
              oil changes are over-rated. i'm at almost 5k right now on conventional and the DIC says i have 40% left. i'll change it before i head to TN for thanksgiving. don't listen to your grandfather...engines don't break down oil like they used to...or like oil companies want you to believe that they do.
              I'd be wary about using the DIC when it comes to your oil life. It doesn't actually have an oil sensor at all from what I've heard from my service manager, it just takes your driving input and estimates how fast your driving style is breaking down the oil. It doesn't take into account any contaminants reducing oil life, or other variables.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
              - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
              - DS S3 Intake
              - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Re: Conversion to Mobil 1!

Originally posted by 2006gtp

Now, it sounds strange that I switched because of cost. But an average oil change every 3k miles is almost 35 bucks for a high quality oil vs. 60 bucks every 7k miles with mobil 1.
                where the heck you buying oil and filters from that it costs $60?

i use mobil 1 and i can change mine own for under 35 easily

Comment

Mobil 1 is one of the best of the best of synthethics. Granted it is like 5.50 a quart but you get what you pay for. Only thing better is Royal Purple. The synthethics protect SOOO much more then a convetional oil can.

If your doing open road 7K I belive is ok. If doing stop and go 5K-5500 I would do it. If you want to get real technical and want to take your oil to the limit you accaclly can prob go 10K between atlongest you have a real good oil filter but I wouldnt recomend it.
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I could have swore I just mentioned this.... your DIC doesn't know if tiny pieces of dust have somehow made their way into your engine during those 5,000+ mile intervals. As far as factoring in RPM vs Engine temp, the DIC is pretty accurate, but even this particular computer cant "see" impurities. If your leasing a car or not planning on keepin it for too long, change your oil every 20k for all it matters, but those of us (myself included) who cant afford a trade in every 2 or 3 years, keep your engine up.. I'd say 5,000 at MOST. Thats a lot of work for an engine, even a new one.

Anyhoo, there have been so many threads on this, no one seems interested in the facts, only what they "think" is best.... so if I had it my way, I think it'd be time to close this thread. But thats up to the mods of coruse :smoke:
                    2007 G5 Base Model
                    Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Not pushing this discussion one way or another... just a piece of information.

Had a 03 9-3 with 2.0Turbo Ecotec. Factory oil was Mobil 0W-30 with a change interval of ~15k. This was the Saab (GM) recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                        Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                        GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                          X2
                          2007 G5 Base Model
                          Black 5 Speed

Comment

It's not really something that should shock people all that much.

Mobil themselves used to recommend a crazy amount of miles between oil changes. Amsoil DOES recommend a really high amount of miles.

The fact of the matter is that engines are built better than they used to be, and have more tolerance for imperfect oil than they used to. When GM designed the OLM, they did so with the use of Oil Analysis which helped them to determine the optimal oil change frequency based on a number of conditions.

No, the OLM doesn't take into account dust that gets into the system, but seriously, does that matter? If you are driving anywhere where a significant amount of dust managed to get past your air filter, than you should be doing more frequent oil changes anyway, as that counts as extremely severe use of the vehicle.

The OLM is what the manufacturer recommends based on their research. Do whatever you want, but you are NOT going to harm your car by following the OLM.

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                              The OLM is what the manufacturer recommends based on their research. Do whatever you want, but you are NOT going to harm your car by following the OLM.
                              The fine print is that only under normal environmental conditions and normal driving habits, and using oil meeting GM's standard. There is also a disclaimer stating that the owner is responsible to ensure that the oil is changed regularly in case there is a failure with the OLM system.

Comment

Working...
                              X