New Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint?

I got egged on cabbage night (the night before halloween) a while ago and there are chunks of paint missing (will post pics tomorrow) and there are also places where the paint is chipping in other places. I am considering getting the entire car repainted. When a car is repainted is the original paint sanded away? What color do you guys think I should go with? I was thinking jet black.

Re: New Paint?

if the shop is GOOD they will sand the original paint off, unfortunately on mine the last 2 bodyshops have been cheapskates, and there is now 3 distinct layers of paint on the hood and front doors whereever there are rock chips............you dont want more than 1 layer of paint b/c the more layers of paint the biger the rock chips will be and easer it will chip...........also, go with the factory color unless you pan on paying like 8-10k to have the engine removed, doors and all door trip and interior trim near the doors so you can have the engine bay and inside the doors painted, otherwise it will look like crap and usually if you alter the color of the car from stock, it be worthless on trade in........

Comment

i doubt theyll sand all the paint off. theyll have to "scuff" the paint so teh new paint sticks but thats about all theyll do. idk of any shop that would strip ALL the paint

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

In other words touch up paint would be a more viable alternative....LOL thanks.
        I dare to dream sometimes....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by paramount View Post
          In other words touch up paint would be a more viable alternative....LOL thanks.
          I dare to dream sometimes....LOL
          If you want to get you car repainted thats fine just expect to pay a couple grand. It wouldnt be anywere near ten grand. Maybe closer to 2 or 3 for a nice paint job. A (good) body shop will never paint more of the car then they have to. Thats assuming you stick with the stock color unless you decide to go with a two tone. Most shops will not sand out or fill rock chips unless specified by you. At that point they may charge extra for the work. I have never worked at a shop that has done it for free. If you want a different look you should look into a two tone paint sceme. That way they wont have to do all of your jambs... I.E. door, trunk and engine bay jambs... Good luck...
          2012 AWD Fusion Sport...
          Steeda springs, Steeda STB, Steeda Motor mount, Steeda Intake, Steeda 93/100 octain tune, Steeda TB spacer, Magnaflow catback, 19x8.5 mustang GT wheels painted body color, 5% and 35% TINT, upper and lower 6,000k HID's, Steeda Hood struts, and tinted tails, and much more...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3974935/2012-ford-fusion/

Comment

agreed with LB2 and andy. they will sand off the clear coat and some paint but they wont take it down to metal/primer. when i had my g6 fully painted (granted there was a hood and body kit modification/installation) it cost me 3k.
            sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

No no to painting car LOL....so is there a how to here on how to paint calipers? I searched and cant find...and if there isnt there should be

Comment

How many panels/parts of the body need attention? Is it just 1 or 2 like a quarter panel and a door or is it more? For the last 3 years I worked next door to a body shop and had to work with them quite a bit. I know a lot of body shop guys who could give a nice detailed answer for you if you can give more information.

Not that I think the other guys are wrong or anything.
                Done: G6 2009.5 spoiler, Eibach Springs, Disc Italia cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Disc Italia ceramic brake pads, GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, GM body kit, G6 GXP Street Edition Hood, recessed upper/lower grilles painted matte satin silver, red brake calipers w/decals, 35% tint
                Electric Blue body color matched: Stock GTP rims on inner portion only, Racingline strut bar, engine cover, battery cover & interior trim pieces

My Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ungerdog View Post
                  How many panels/parts of the body need attention? Is it just 1 or 2 like a quarter panel and a door or is it more? For the last 3 years I worked next door to a body shop and had to work with them quite a bit. I know a lot of body shop guys who could give a nice detailed answer for you if you can give more information.

Not that I think the other guys are wrong or anything.

That is what I do for a living. That is why I gave him the answere that I did. There are a lot ways to go about it. Its just up to the OP...
                  2012 AWD Fusion Sport...
                  Steeda springs, Steeda STB, Steeda Motor mount, Steeda Intake, Steeda 93/100 octain tune, Steeda TB spacer, Magnaflow catback, 19x8.5 mustang GT wheels painted body color, 5% and 35% TINT, upper and lower 6,000k HID's, Steeda Hood struts, and tinted tails, and much more...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3974935/2012-ford-fusion/

Comment

Ok. The three bodyshops I worked with here sand out rock chips without asking the owner. There is no option, they just do it. I just thought other points of view would help.
                    Done: G6 2009.5 spoiler, Eibach Springs, Disc Italia cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Disc Italia ceramic brake pads, GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, GM body kit, G6 GXP Street Edition Hood, recessed upper/lower grilles painted matte satin silver, red brake calipers w/decals, 35% tint
                    Electric Blue body color matched: Stock GTP rims on inner portion only, Racingline strut bar, engine cover, battery cover & interior trim pieces

My Progression Thread

Comment

Never mind to painting the car...is there a how to on here to painting the calipers?

Comment

Originally posted by paramount View Post
                        Never mind to painting the car...is there a how to on here to painting the calipers?
                        directions on the can/box? spray/paint that shit on there and let it dry?

sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

O'Reilly's and Autozone usually carry caliper painting kits or spray paint. You should clean the calipers with break cleaner, and it's a good idea to scrub the caliper a little bit too. Sometimes there are spots left after spraying the break cleaner. That's what I did with mine, and they look alright.
                          Hit the tires and light the fires

Current Mods:
                          CRABs Option 3, Racingline TSB, Racingline Grounding Kit, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/Resonator Delete, Taillight Bevels, RAZO Pedal Covers, Painted Engine Covers, Powerstop Brake Kit, Painted Calipers, Gorilla Red Lug Nuts, REMIN Dash Kit, BMD Endlinks, Painted mirror caps, Partial Debadge, Borbet MA wheels, Eibach lowering kit, Monroe shocks and struts

Future Mods:
                          AIT Front Bumper (Awaiting Paint/Installation), Concept Emblems (Awaiting Installation), NGK spark plugs, GTP Rear Bumper Cover, AIT Hood, FPU, CCFL headlights

Comment

Working...
                          X