Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint is spider cracking on my bumper!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint is spider cracking on my bumper!!!

The paint right behind both wheel wells on the bumper is spider cracking. I just got done washing my car and noticed it! Its ticking me off because i cant do anything about it right now and its only going to get worse. Have any of you guys had this problem too? Its very frustrating
    MODS: LED Tails, N-Take CAI, 19'' ASA Rims, Red Painted Calipers, Eibach Lowering Springs

Check Out my car! Car Domain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390193...g6-gt-sedan-4d

Re: Paint is spider cracking on my bumper!!!

my rear bumper is spider cracking to but i went to get an estimate to get it repainted and they told me they could not help me cause its plastic and comes from the dealer painted... So they said i would have to go to a dealer and see if they can order me a new painted bumper.... One of my friends told me just to krylon fusion plastic paint it and i ask him are you nuts... they don't have a color to make my car and the over spray would probably look ugly... So in short i am in the same boat as you and don't know what to do... So if you find out what to do let me know too haha

Comment

will do. hopefully i can get this guy who has a body shot to it. When i nearly totaled my TL he did nice work rebuilding it
      MODS: LED Tails, N-Take CAI, 19'' ASA Rims, Red Painted Calipers, Eibach Lowering Springs

Check Out my car! Car Domain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390193...g6-gt-sedan-4d

Comment

Has your vehicle ever been egged? Only reason I ask is, that's what egg shells will do to a paintjob, from the ones I've seen.
        "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

nope :sad:

Comment

Originally posted by Jester1126 View Post
            my rear bumper is spider cracking to but i went to get an estimate to get it repainted and they told me they could not help me cause its plastic and comes from the dealer painted... So they said i would have to go to a dealer and see if they can order me a new painted bumper.... One of my friends told me just to krylon fusion plastic paint it and i ask him are you nuts... they don't have a color to make my car and the over spray would probably look ugly... So in short i am in the same boat as you and don't know what to do... So if you find out what to do let me know too haha
            That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I have been painting cars for 6 years and never heard that. Your bumper can be refinished. I would try another shop. Every car has its own paint code so that parts can be repainted. You can find your code either in your glove box or under the spare tire cover in you trunk. Those cracks are more than likely due to, to much hardener in the clear coat along with constant wind movement of the bumper cover.

(EDIT) Almost all newer cars have plastic bumper covers. They will come raw meaning no primer and need special prep work done or a pre primed cover that gets sealer then paint. I would get another estimate...
            Last edited by LB2; 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM.
            2012 AWD Fusion Sport...
            Steeda springs, Steeda STB, Steeda Motor mount, Steeda Intake, Steeda 93/100 octain tune, Steeda TB spacer, Magnaflow catback, 19x8.5 mustang GT wheels painted body color, 5% and 35% TINT, upper and lower 6,000k HID's, Steeda Hood struts, and tinted tails, and much more...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3974935/2012-ford-fusion/

Comment

find a better body shop cause they dont come painted.

or better yet walk in there tell them that they dont come painted. if they argue with you tell them to order you a bumper from a dealer and if it comes painted youll pay for it and if it doesnt and needs to be painted they can do it for free lol

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
              Originally posted by snowmanG6
              you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

all right thanks for the info guys... this is the first car i am taking real pride in because its my first car that is not 17 years old and a POS haha. So it can be painted that guy that told me no must have been sniffing to many paint fumes in his time lol... Do you guys perhaps might know how much it will run me to get it painted so if i do get an estimate i can barter with them

Comment

if all of the paint damage is one one body piece which is sounds like it is...(on your back bumper?) most places usually charge $250 it seems.....

Comment

all right thanks for the info guys... this is the first car i am taking real pride in because its my first car that is not 17 years old and a POS haha. So it can be painted that guy that told me no must have been sniffing to many paint fumes in his time lol... Do you guys perhaps might know how much it will run me to get it painted so if i do get an estimate i can barter with them
                    If you get other estimates you can make them fight for your buisnes... I (wouldnt) go back to that shop though. Thats ignorant for them to tell you it cant be painted and you can only get it pre painted from the dealer. They must not know what they are doing. It will probly cost between $150 to $250 depending on the shop and how bad they want you buisnes.
                    2012 AWD Fusion Sport...
                    Steeda springs, Steeda STB, Steeda Motor mount, Steeda Intake, Steeda 93/100 octain tune, Steeda TB spacer, Magnaflow catback, 19x8.5 mustang GT wheels painted body color, 5% and 35% TINT, upper and lower 6,000k HID's, Steeda Hood struts, and tinted tails, and much more...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3974935/2012-ford-fusion/

Comment

Originally posted by SexyG6 View Post
                      if all of the paint damage is one one body piece which is sounds like it is...(on your back bumper?) most places usually charge $250 it seems.....
                      Sorry for the repeat on the price I was typing when you posted... $250 should be on the high side of the price...
                      2012 AWD Fusion Sport...

Comment

thanks once again for the info this has been truly helpful... now i have something else to save up for once spring/summer time rolls around

Comment

That shop does not know how to work on plastic bumpers or do not want to mess with it.

Other than using a different primer, you will need to add a flexible.

Comment

Working...
                          X