Sedan HID Reverse Light HOW-TO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sedan HID Reverse Light HOW-TO

a few members were wondering how i installed HIDs in my reverse lights so heres a HOW-TO explaining what i did.......

first of all i will start by saying that this is NOT and exact fit it takes a little work, and im not sure about about being able to put HIDs in the coupe tailinght the houseing looks a lot smaller on them than the sedans for the reverse bulb. i really dont beleive the head from the HIDs will be an issue as i cant think of any situation where you would have your reverse lights on for more than a minute or two......
    well here goes

-First of all you must remove the top "Knob" for the trunk nets, it simply unscrews
    -next there are two 10mm nuts that hold the tail light in sinply remove them and the tail will just pull out

-to install the HID bulb you must remove the reverse light socket and bulb
    -I used gorilla glue to glue an H10 bulb into the opening on the tailight
    -let this dry for about 45min to an hour to be on the safe side
    -next i took some clear silicone adhesive/sealant to fill in the gaps between the "tabs" on the h10 bulb to be sure no moisture can get in the light but i dont remeber how long i t took to dry to the touch....

-once everything is decently dry use electrical tape to cover the no longer needed light socket to keep the moisture out (or you could cut it off if you dont plan on ever changing back to the stock bulbs)
    -i used female tap splices on the green (GND) and brown (+) wires on the actual tail light harness and matching male insulated spade connectors crimped to the end of the HIDs input cable...........

-i removed a oval rubber plug inside on both sides of the trunk and ran the power wires and HID wires through them and fished them to the tail light
    - it may be a better idea to splice into the wires by the fuse box in the trunk and just run the HID bulb wires out for a clean install

-reinstall the tail light and conect the quick connects
    - i DID have to up the fuse size a little, i beleive the stock fuse is 10A and it would ocassionally blow that from the higher startup current to the ballasts so i replaced it with a 15A fuse and have not had any problems since.... and after they are stated they draw less than 10A total anyways but if it make you feel better just install a relay if you know how........this can be done a number of different ways so this is just meant as a guide,

but i were to put these in my GXP coupe i think i would just get a new wireingharness from the trunk fuse box and redo the wire in 14ga and have all the wireing other than to the bulbs themselves in the trunk....
    Last edited by SexyG6; 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM.

Re: Sedan HID Reverse Light HOW-TO

any pics of how they look?

Comment

very very interesting indeed, gets me thinking of some possible reverse HID's now !
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Yes, these are the brightest reverse light ever!!! I got to see them in person, at mid afternoon on a bright sunny day last spring/summer and you could deffinatly see that the output is amazing. Definatly BA and would be a great mod for those with dark windows and want to see when they backup.
        Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
        INDIAN WARRIORS
        1926-2010

Comment

Comment

Holy mother of...
            Those are bright!!!

Are your tails are tinted over the reverse part?

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

@SexyG6- those things are brite! Great write up btw .

Comment

Originally posted by BORN2SKI View Post
                Holy mother of...
                Those are bright!!!

Are your tails are tinted over the reverse part?
                No its not tinted over the reverse portion but im sure if you do it will still be plenty bright LOL....actually i dont think my tails were tinted at all when that pic was taken....

Comment

Holy!

Comment

Damn those are BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Awesome job!

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
                    I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

I can't tell which end is the front end!!!!

Comment

christ. i dont think i would want that.
                        sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

That is wild right there.
                          07 G6 GT Progression [traded]
                          05 Sentra S-ER Spec-V Progression

Comment

Comment

I have been searching how to update to HIDs and i stubpmbled upon this. I must agree that the reverse lights that come stock dont do diddley squat butthat, my friend, might be overkill. At any rate, good show!

Comment

Working...
                              X