REQUEST How To - Remove Upper Grilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REQUEST How To - Remove Upper Grilles

I want to paint the chrome on them black but can't figure out how to get them off. I tried pulling all the pins for the top of the front bumper than played with the clips that hold them in place, but it didn't budge and I don't want to break anything. Anyone who has done this could you print up a how to?

2006 Black G6 2.4 - Sold
    2007 Chrysler 300 Touring 3.5L - Current

Mods: AFE CAI, Red Calipers, Halo Projectors
    Mods Planned: Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust, Eibach Springs, BBK Shorty Headers, E&G rear spoiler

Re: REQUEST How To - Remove Upper Grilles

Get something plastic to pry between the edge of the surround and the bumper. Work your way around prying out and it should work the clips loose. Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by BobcatG6 View Post
      Get something plastic to pry between the edge of the surround and the bumper. Work your way around prying out and it should work the clips loose. Rinse and repeat for the other side.
      See I was trying with a small flat head screw driver and they sounded like they were cracking. I really don't want to end up with a bunch of broken clips and a grille that wont stay in. Have you done this before?

2006 Black G6 2.4 - Sold

Mods Planned: Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust, Eibach Springs, BBK Shorty Headers, E&G rear spoiler

Comment

I tried the "playing card" trick but it didn't go overly well. IIRC I ended up just being reeeeeeeeeal careful with the screwdriver and ended up with a couple slight indentations in the surrounding area of the bumper , but nothing noticeable from more than a couple feet away.
        CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

I'll admit it sounds bad as you are trying to take it out but if you work one side, then the other it should come out okay. Get a plastic paint scrapper it will cause less cosmetic damage and has a bit of give so it won't break clips.

Comment

check the how to section and search your heart away. I know for a fact there are pics and steps around here on how to do it correctly. I did it with a playing card and going by the guide and didn't have a single issue getting mine out to paint.
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I used an old butter knife with masking tape wrapped around it and did no damage to the grill or paint what so ever. Yeah it does sound like you're hurting things but go slow and careful and as much as us guy's like to jerk things resist the urge to do so or you may break it... The grill that is and you will be fine.

FYI the new grills fit a bit loser than the OEM grills. That's just the way they are.

In an attempt to help I searched for you only to find these two "How To" links are bust.

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...hp?f=29&t=1233
              REMOVE UPPER GRILLS CLICK HERE
              Current Mods
              245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
              Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

When we switched to vbull we seem to have lost some stuff.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan5150 View Post
                  When we switched to vbull we seem to have lost some stuff.
                  Ya cause I searched like mad, both with the search tool and manually and found nothing but how to take off your bumper.

Originally posted by Altered6 View Post
                  I used an old butter knife with masking tape wrapped around it and did no damage to the grill or paint what so ever. Yeah it does sound like you're hurting things but go slow and careful and as much as us guy's like to jerk things resist the urge to do so or you may break it... The grill that is and you will be fine.

FYI the new grills fit a bit loser than the OEM grills. That's just the way they are.

In an attempt to help I searched for you only to find these two "How To" links are bust.

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...hp?f=29&t=1233
                  REMOVE UPPER GRILLS CLICK HERE
                  Both URL's are broken.

2006 Black G6 2.4 - Sold

Comment

Did anyone know what paint to use to paint the top grills? any brand they recommend?

Comment

I used Duplicolor on mine. Turned out great

Comment

i wrote the how-to originally. I'll see if i can find it and fix picture links. I'm sure they aren't same anymore

here is the short version:

I believe there are 5 connectors on the trim ring. if you take push pins out of bumper and look down you can easily see them. once you get them off you will easily be able to take the actual grill part off. Pretty sure now that if you loosen bumper with pins you might be able to get the trim off without any equipment. they are just the push in and snap over type

Comment

maybe I suck at remembering, haha. here are pictures where clips are for trim and so forth

I'll rewrite the how-to sometime

Again, you can see most of these clips from inside bumper. If you get a couple of them out from inside you can then work your way around with something flat or by twisting which I don't recommend cause you might snap a clip, but it works if done correctly.

The actual grill just needs to be pryed loose from slot. Should be able to do this with your hands. if not just use something that won't scratch paint

Comment

found the thread

Comment

Working...
                            X