Pontiac G8/ Holden Commodore SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac G8/ Holden Commodore SS

I guess this will be in showrooms late next year.

mmmmm Commodore.

I was looking at some engine stuff, and the Commodore SS uses the L76 version of the 6.0L, which is the same basics as an LS2, but has a lower compression ratio (9.6 vs. 10.9), cast connecting rods vs. the LS2 forged rods, and the VVT like we have on our 3.9L and new 3.5L V-6's.

I guess the Compression Ratio difference is in the heads, because the L76 is the truck version of the LS2, which sacrifices high end horsepower for a flatter torque curve, and higher torque at lower RPMs.

Because of the VVT though, would there be any reason you couldn't swap LS2 heads and rods into the L76? Or would there be other issues?

Anyone know? I've been looking, but can't find anything......yet
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

I haven't heard anything about the Commodore becoming the new G8, aside from a rumor on Wikipedia, but that'd be pretty sweet!

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

screw the pontiac bring all of Holdens cars over here instead.

Comment

this whole G8/holden thing's been discussed on here before
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

I know it's been discussed on here before, but I'm more interested if anyone knows enough about engine mods to offer some advice/knowledge on whether switcing LS2 heads onto an L76 is feasible.

Here's the two power curves against each other. Kind of rough, but you get the idea.

*NOTE: LS2 data from a CTS-V, and L76 data from an avalanche - I bet the L76 would flow a bit better in a performance car?

Originally posted by colinpeddle
          They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
          That here, by G6er law, we lie
          Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
          THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

As you said it is a truck engine so you would always lose power unless you switched all the HD parts over. Rods included. I bet you could get darn close though!
            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Working...
            X