Shocking??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking??

Ok so lately my drivers door shocks me every time I get out of my car... At first I figured it might just be a speaker wire or something, but it isn't a constant shocking, just a one and done thing every time I go to close the door, has this happened to anyone??

Also, It seams that I have a drain on my battery because whenever it gets cold the 6 has a hard time starting... Since the car is a 2006 we figured it might just be that the battery is getting old, but when we were replacing it with a good one we have at home we noticed that upon reconnecting the positive, it would spark when nothing on/in the car was on...??

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?
    Originally posted by wzbhnn
    We all like different looks, that's why we mod!!

Re: Shocking??

Sounds like you've got a secret Decepticon about to fully "display" himself
    CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DroptopDiamond View Post
      Sounds like you've got a secret Decepticon about to fully "display" himself
      LOL I just hope I get Megan Fox out of the deal!!

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?

Comment

this may seem stupid/obvious. Are you connecting the negative before the positive? that would cause the sparking.
        Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, Eyebrow 5% tint, Windshield 35% tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Painted engine covers, LED tails, 6K Lows, 8K Highs, 6K Fogs Painted grilles, Painted window trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, RacingLine STB, RacingLine Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W

Progression Thread -
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18428

Comment

Originally posted by SFDevine7 View Post
          this may seem stupid/obvious. Are you connecting the negative before the positive? that would cause the sparking.
          It was, but still with the key off, no lights on or anything like that, it shouldn't be sparking off!!

Comment

if the battery is grounded when putting the positive connector on it will spark, regardless if anything is turned on. Try connecting the positive first and then the negative
            Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, Eyebrow 5% tint, Windshield 35% tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Painted engine covers, LED tails, 6K Lows, 8K Highs, 6K Fogs Painted grilles, Painted window trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, RacingLine STB, RacingLine Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W

Progression Thread -
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18428

Comment

the shock you are getting when getting out of the car is static electricity. it becomes more prevalent in the colder months because the air is drier. the humidity in the summer prevents it from building up in the first place.

it is normal.

as for the battery sparking when you reconnect...

it is normal.

in conclusion......

'tis all normal.
              Last edited by ragingfish; 11-29-2010, 08:33 PM.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by SFDevine7 View Post
                if the battery is grounded when putting the positive connector on it will spark, regardless if anything is turned on. Try connecting the positive first and then the negative
                K, I will see!!

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish View Post
                  the shock you are getting when getting out of the car is static electricity. it becomes more prevalent in the colder months because the air is drier. the humidity in the summer prevents it from building up in the first place.

it is normal.

as for the battery sparking when you reconnect...

it is normal.
                  Then how come it doesn't shock you if you touch the passenger door or if you just touch the roof??

Comment

Originally posted by Matts06GT View Post
                    Then how come it doesn't shock you if you touch the passenger door or if you just touch the roof??
                    because once you get out of the door you discharge yourself to the same potential as the car, so you wont get shocked again until you get back in it and build up charge again....and yes the battery sparking is normal, there is ALWAYS some power being used by the car because the computers always has to have power or they wont work properly.........without the radio using power with the car off youd have to reset the clock every time you got in the car too

Comment

oh, and a safety note:

there is a reason they tell you NEVER to get back in your car when fueling up. The reason why: you will build up another static charge once you get in, and depending on how and when it discharges against the car, it can potentially ignite fuel vapors and cause mucho grande problemas.

many gas stations have removed the latch that enables you to leave the pump running so you can walk away because of this danger.
                      2009 PONTIAC G8
                      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                      X