Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok.....uh...........interesting question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok.....uh...........interesting question....

ok i don't know how to lead into this so here it is.....my dad has a 2006 grand prix gxp with the 5.3L V8, and i was wondering if u think it would b at all possible to put that motor into my '06 g6 gtp. i saw one for sale that is motor and transmission and if it would fit would consider taking on such a project this summer, as i tend to get a lot of overtime pay in the summer. i know it is a very deep motor and if it would fit it would b a tough squeeze and may require a little bit of cutting and fab...any insight would b appreciated.........thx
    G6's r the tits....lol

biggest problem... you'll have to completely redo the drive line arrangement...

the motor you have now is transverse mounted (i.e. sideways)
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

I imagine it would require more than just a little bit of cutting and fab, it would likely be quite the endeavor.

In terms of physical size? Not sure. Also, I'm not sure if the transmission/drive axles would line up with the ones in the 6. Take a lot of measurements before you even think about doing anything.

Not to mention all the software stuff - changing over the PCM, then calibrating that with the ECU.
      Originally posted by colinpeddle
      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
      That here, by G6er law, we lie
      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Anything's possible with enough cash...but I don't know of anyone who has tried to stuff the 5.3 into a G6. You'd be the first to try....which of course means you should do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe

((I know, double post))

the 5.3 in the grand prix is transverse too
          Originally posted by colinpeddle
          They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
          That here, by G6er law, we lie
          Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
          THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Originally posted by carsuperfreak

((I know, double post))

the 5.3 in the grand prix is transverse too
            oh is it?

weird... my mistake then

Comment

shiiit that would kick ass... hopefully you can figure out if it works or not.. hope you're loaded

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Yes it could be done, and probably would not be extra hard.. First thing to do is take a ton of measurements on both cars....

Bring those back and we can talk.

John
                Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I think the hardest part will be the wiring harness and the PCM/ECU switch. Possibly if the bell housing is the same and get lucky on that part, then just ship your tranny out to a tranny speed shop and have it worked over. Thats an idea, then wont need to worry about the tranny issue....... Dollar for dollar though, prob be better just to do some head work, and a custom SC or turbo. But for unique ness the swap would be worth it. Also would have to steep up the front end suspention to handle the heavier V8.
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I think that the LS4 is only slightly wider than the LZ9, and it appears to me that the height of the two engines is basically the same when you compare the pictures side by side.

The biggest problems you'll have, I think are making the engine talk to the car's computer properly, and fitting the transmission to it. The G6 GTP and the GP GXP both use the 4T65, although with different RPO codes so I'm sure that it'd be fairly easy to get the transmission to work with some minor modifications.

Oh, another huge thing of course would be engine mounts.

I'd personally just strap a blower onto the LZ9 as it'll end up cheaper to do.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

damn cars with computers and bullshit

for the money that it would take to get the engine and install it in your car, just go buy some classic muscle that needs some lovin' :smoke:

Comment

the engine i am looking at does come with the transmission. also about the engine weight, i believe that the 5.3L has an aluminum block and is actually lighter than my 3.9L. i think that the ecu is gonna b a bit of a hurdle ........ but what was that about the transmission being the same?.......if that is true could i possibly leave mine in and just swap the motor?.......also, i did toss around the idea of just forgeting about the 5.3L and sendin my car to get it turbo'd but i'd b worried about running to high of a psi since no one has really run forced induction yet, or at least until pwrg6guy is done which i know we r all following
                        G6's r the tits....lol

Comment

^ What I was saying is IF the bell housing on the 3.5L and the 5.3L is the same then you wouldnt have to change your tranny. Just then maybe pull yours and have some one do a little work to handle the extra HP and torque, like steping up the torque converter ect. but I dont know if the bell housing is the same or not.

I dont think the engine mounts will be to hard but you def are going to need custom made ones.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

damn cars with computers and bullshit

for the money that it would take to get the engine and install it in your car, just go buy some classic muscle that needs some lovin' :smoke:
                            Agreed!!
                            Ryan Romero

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2439593/1

Comment

i would love to have a muscle car but i'd really like to just go with the one car.....i love the way that this car looks, and i would like to stick with it. so if the bell housings are the same how would i go about beefing up the tranny? also, this question is kind of off topic but where do i get the strut support bars at?
                              G6's r the tits....lol

Comment

Working...
                              X