Hardcore rolling on turns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardcore rolling on turns.

I'm finding it increasing difficult to make turns at higher speeds on time goes on.

Is this a result of my shocks / struts? Or, could it be a result of something more simple?

I was looking at a thread Vadicus started where he swapped out his shocks and struts with coil-overs from Megan Racing for a Saab 9-3. Looks good, but can't afford it right now.

But as my turning ability deteriorates I wonder if I might have to do some swapping anyway?
    Modifications:
    [Completed] CRAB 03/04 + WMS 91 Octane Tune + MPD Hood w/ Hood Struts + GT-R Exhaust + Red Interior Lighting + De-Badged + Overlays + Chrome Window Trim + 20% Tint + Racingline Strut Bar
    [In Progress] Racingline Mount Inserts / Wiring Kit
    [Later Days] Audio Controls + G6 Mats + New Rims + Tail-Light Replacement + Street Glow + Trunk Sub

Re: Hardcore rolling on turns.

Springs directly impact body roll and vertical movement on each corner of your vehicle. Although shocks/struts are "not weight bearing" they do play a roll when it comes to BR. Do you have after market springs? How old is the car and are you the original owner? Also you can do a simple bump test to see if your shocks/struts are going bad. Do that and let us know what you find.
    Last edited by Metalhead852; 11-20-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalhead852 View Post
      Springs directly impact body roll and vertical movement on each corner of your vehicle. Although shocks/struts are "not weight bearing" they do play a roll when it comes to BR. Do you have after market springs? How old is the car and are you the original owner? Also you can do a simple bump test to see if your shocks/struts are going bad. Do that and let us know what you find.
      Car is an '08. Less then 60,000kms. I'm not the original owner, kinda. The car was one of the local delars floor cars, and had a little over 4,500kms on it when I got it.

I'm not using any aftermarket springs.
      Modifications:
      [Completed] CRAB 03/04 + WMS 91 Octane Tune + MPD Hood w/ Hood Struts + GT-R Exhaust + Red Interior Lighting + De-Badged + Overlays + Chrome Window Trim + 20% Tint + Racingline Strut Bar
      [In Progress] Racingline Mount Inserts / Wiring Kit
      [Later Days] Audio Controls + G6 Mats + New Rims + Tail-Light Replacement + Street Glow + Trunk Sub

Comment

get eibachs.
        Paying someone to install parts on your car, and bragging about it being fast is like watching someone SMURF your wife, and being proud to raise the kids
        sigpic
        Progression Page
        Four Door Mafia

Forever Pontiac
        Sponsored by: Negrotis™ Racing

Comment

Thanks for the extra info. The good news is you don't have to go all out and spend a lot to improve the handling of your 6er. A good place to start is aftermarket springs that will lower your vehicle such as Eibach, H&R, Canuck and there are others. I'm certain that you will be impressed with the improvement this change alone will make.

If your budget allows you may consider stickier and/or wider tires. You may be surprised at the difference tires can make to performance.

An inexpensive but not overly easy mod for the 6 is replace the sway bar bushings with universal poly urethane offerings from Energy Suspension or Prothane. Some reports on this site say some modification is required to the aftermarket bushing in order for it to clear a collar on our OEM sway bar while others report it's not necessary. If you like to carve corners with aggression this mod will be require eventually.

If you car is a daily driver and the area you live in sees mud, snow, road salt and/or road sand than you my want to stay away from coilovers as the road grime, etc may jam their adjustability features and leave you with a big hole in your wallet.

One mod that I would like to see is replacing our struts and shocks with Koni or Bilstein for a Saab 9-3. There have been a couple good write ups about coilover mods from the Saab but as far as I know none regarding performance strut offerings.

If budget is not an issue and you want to pin the needle on the cool meter go with the coilovers or better yet airbags. I don't recall a write up on airbags yet. Just remember with airbags you will lose a sizable area of your usable trunk space to the compressor, air tank and distribution valves.
          Current Mods
          245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
          Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Working...
          X