Problems with slack in steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with slack in steering

So I have read all the TSB info and have seen the recall on the complete failure of power steering. This is not my problem. While driving at speeds of 35+ and entering corners I start turning the wheel just as anyone would and suddenly I notice the the car doesn't turn as I would expect it to. Now pay attention here because this is where I lose most folks. The power steering is not locking up, getting stiff, or losing pressure. If anything, it is getting looser. For instance, an Indy car has a very sensitive steering, if you turn the steering wheel half way you will likely be pointed the other direction, it has a very tight turning radius and steering box. 99% of the cars I have driven, can take 30 degree corner by turning the wheel around a 1/4 turn. My 2006 G6 GT coupe, I start to take a 30 degree curve and turn the wheel about a 1/4 turn before the car will even start to respond to the turn and suddenly think oh CRAP and have to jerk the wheel to almost half a turn to complete the curve! The same as what most cars could do with a 1/4 turn. In light of this I went and found a used 2007 G6 GT coupe and test drove it. It was WAY different than mine, it was tight it had NO slack in it at all. I moved the steering a hair and the car responded, so what gives? Is their a weak spring in a bypass valve? Is this computer controlled? I realize it is speed sensitive but there is something different between my car and others just like it! @#$%^&

Please Help,
    EpicRed!!!
    Last edited by EpicRed; 11-20-2010, 12:05 PM.

CARDOMAIN ................ PROGRESSION
    08 G6 GXP 20/10% tinted windows including 10" 10% brow,
    Crabs Intake Opt. 3 w/ FPU, Angel Eye Halo Projector Head Lights,
    Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, Powder coated grilles, Raceingline STB,
    & Riken Raptors ZR 245/45-18's.
    TO BE INSTALL:
    Cquence Rotors, ceramic brake pads & paint calipers black
    92 LX Notchback mustang ~ Mods: 50 series flowmaster exhaust, 373 gears
    LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 2006 G6 GT
    http://www.epicimpressionsphotography.com/

Re: Problems with slack in steering

sounds to me like you may have a loose suspension component like a tie rod end or a ball joint. jack up the front end of the car and wiggle the wheels and see if you feel any play. wiggle them with your hands at 9 and 3 (for a tierod end) and 12 and 6 (for ball joint)

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I think ah is correct. Do what he suggests and let us know.
      Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
      Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
      Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Current Mods
        245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
        Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Ok guys here goes! One I got an all wheel alingment Friday and while they had it up on the rack I had them checked the tire rod ends and most likly they ball joins and they did not locate any problems BUT they also said they were over booked so they might of half a$$ed it. SO after posting this thread and all of you suggested what I check I checked it myself tonight and did not see anything wrong with either one of them either, so now what? I did however read an artical before getting with you guys about what speed sensitive steering was and it talk alot about sensors and tonight I tried to locate the power steering pump and was unable to locate one so I read my manuel and it also did not have it's location listed. So I have done more research and found that it's not really speed sensitive steering it has a power steering assist motor. In wikipedia I found this about power steering assist motor.

"Reviews in the automotive press often comment that certain steering systems with electric assist do not have a satisfactory amount of "road feel". Road feel refers to the relationship between the force needed to steer the vehicle and the force that the driver exerts on the steering wheel. Road feel gives the driver the subjective perception that they are engaged in steering the vehicle. The amount of road feel is controlled by the computer module that operates the electric power steering system. In theory, the software should be able to adjust the amount of road feel to satisfy drivers. In practice, it has been difficult to reconcile various design constraints while producing a more pronounced road feel. The same argument has been applied to hydraulic power steering as well. "

SO I guess I am going to try to take it to a dealer or shop that might beable to ajust the software...what do you guys think?

TO BE INSTALL:

Comment

there is no way to "adjust the software" the most that they could do is recalibrate the system which should be done after an alignment anyway

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Well I was wondering if the recall that I have been seeing mention in several places on this forum has something to do with it? Although none of the issues I am having are what they are describing the problem is in the recall but it is still the same part being recalled.

TO BE INSTALL:

Comment

Working...
              X