Panoramic roof creaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panoramic roof creaking

I have a 2006 G6 GT with the panoramic sunroof and just recently started to hear a bad “creak” when the car goes over bumps/turns. I have now identified the problem to a metal cross member bar at the rear of the sunroof. If I take off the rubber molding around the inside of the sunroof and push up and down on the bar, I get the creaking noise. I just lubricated the metal-to-metal joints with heavy duty silicon, but the creak is still there.

Does anyone else have this problem with the panoramic sunroof? I feel that if I go back to Pontiac with this, they are just going to look at me stupid which is why I want to try to fix it myself.

Thanks for any help

Walt Keegan
    http://www.CheersandGears.com
    2006 Malibu MAXX SS
    2008 G6 GT Street Edition
    1994 S10 Blazer
    1963 Studebaker Avanti

No don't fix it yourself, its under warranty and they've been having lots of problems with that panoramic roof. So take it back to the dealer and make them take care of it FOR you.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Yeha.. don't fudge aorund with that. A STEALERSHIP will go out of their way to find out if a problem has been "effected" or "Attempted" at being repaired by the customer so they can charge you.

I don't care if I hear the slightest of a rattle... I haul my cars' bitch ass in to get it fixxed. 3000 Miles and 2 months old, damn right this thing should still be a new car. :evil:

Edited thinks to LoJacs wealth of knowledge and "e-stalking" tactics. :P
      Straight up Pimp Trollin'
      2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
      w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

I think the correct term you instituted here Coupe is stealership?
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I now have a call into Pontiac Customer Assistance center.

The thing is, there is no TSB for this yet and all the others I found with the same problem, took it back to the dealer, the dealer took the roof apart and put itback together again and there was no change, sometimes the roof even begain to leak.

So I refuse to take it back to the dealer to have them use my car as another guinnea pig and have no idea how to fix it.

I just want pontiac to alert me when a TSB is created and they have the problem fixed. It's annoying to have a brand new car creak like it has 200,000 and know the dealership can't fix it.

Thanks.
          2006 Malibu MAXX SS
          1994 S10 Blazer
          1963 Studebaker Avanti

Comment

Do the TSB's show up in the owners link site, the place you can register when you buy a new car with GM?

Comment

LMAO.. I always put stealership. What the hell.. hey, I can edit.

hang on..

Comment

hang on? Your not even signed in?? WHAT HAPPENED :

Comment

WTF... ?

Mail me some of what you're on.. sounds fun!

Comment

Originally posted by avant1963
                    I now have a call into Pontiac Customer Assistance center.

The thing is, there is no TSB for this yet and all the others I found with the same problem, took it back to the dealer, the dealer took the roof apart and put itback together again and there was no change, sometimes the roof even begain to leak.

So I refuse to take it back to the dealer to have them use my car as another guinnea pig and have no idea how to fix it.

I just want pontiac to alert me when a TSB is created and they have the problem fixed. It's annoying to have a brand new car creak like it has 200,000 and know the dealership can't fix it.

Thanks.
                    Ah, but there IS a service bulletin for the creaking roof. The service manager showed it to me - but it's only available to dealers on their online system so he wouldn't let me write the stupid bulletin number down.

Take it in to the service dept. and tell them to fix it. If they give you any crap, tell them you know that there's a bulletin for it, and the fix is to drop the headliner, drop the frame, and put mylar washers inbetween the frame and the roof.

I got mine done last month and it only took them a couple of hours. Hasn't made a single sound since then.

Comment

Just in case anyone else here has the problem, here are the TSB numbers:

SI - General Guide to Panoramic Sunroof Noise Issues #05-08-67-014 -

Panoramic Sunroof Wind Rush Noise - keywords AC air C3Y glass HVAC leak roof seal water whistle #PIC3472B

I'll report back when and if the problem gets fixed.

Thanks otc for the heads up on this...
                      2006 Malibu MAXX SS
                      1994 S10 Blazer
                      1963 Studebaker Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by avant1963
                        Just in case anyone else here has the problem, here are the TSB numbers:

SI - General Guide to Panoramic Sunroof Noise Issues #05-08-67-014 -

Panoramic Sunroof Wind Rush Noise - keywords AC air C3Y glass HVAC leak roof seal water whistle #PIC3472B

I'll report back when and if the problem gets fixed.

Thanks otc for the heads up on this...
                        Anytime, glad to help. But that's a different bulletin than the one the shop will reference for our creaking sunroof. That one is for misaligned panels and bad weatherstrip that causes leaks in the rain and wind noise/whistling at highway speeds.

The one the shop will use is specific for two things: a scratching noise coming from under the headliner (also caused by the frame), and a creaking sunroof frame.

You'll be glad you took it in -- don't wait like I did !!

Comment

Hey could you guys take a couple pics of your panoramic sunroofs from the exterior and the interior looking up-I'm curious as to what they look like since I've never seen one. Sorry for straying off topic but I'm a little curious.

Comment

My 2005 G6 GT (Wife's car actually... for now) has been in the shop a total of 10 times over the last year due to noise issues with her Panoramic sunroof.

The problem we had was there was a poping noise in the headliner over the drivers seat. I understand that a large hole in the roof of the car filled with four panes of glass is bound to make some noise... but this poping noise was evil. Just loud enough to be heard over the Monsoon radio and would drive you batty over a long trip.

We lucked out in that the dealership owner's daughter had a G6 with the exact same problem... after we had brought our car in for the third time... So they were extra dilligant to fix it. I've talked to GM engineers who were flown out to diagnose this problem... they eventually had to take the roof tracks out of another car on the lot to get our problem solved.

Thank god for the extended warranty...
                            2005 Pontiac G6 GT Stealth Grey Metallic .. Monsoon .. Heated Leather Seats ... Panoramic Sunroof

Comment

i heard that the problem was fixed by putting some spacers between the pano roof and the metal of the roof itself because the noise was cause by interference between the two. not sure if this is legit or not, but maybe it will help in diagnosis.

Comment

Working...
                              X