Stupid Question, but thought I would ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question, but thought I would ask

Anyone know why the 3.9's have a curly-q kinda manifold and the 3.5's don't...

Does it give better flow or mixing or something?

Or is purely cosmetic...

I mean, my manifold is very straight forward, intake, to tb, to flat manifold to feed the cylinders....

I dunno, was just kinda wondering...

I did some more supercharging stuff and just kinda was wondering. :smoke:
    2006 6.0 LS2 GTO Metallic Black
    2007 3.5 VVT G6 Liquid Silver - Gone.

I belive its becuase of the two intake tracks the car has. When running normally only one is open. Then at WOT the second track opens and thats where the 2nd curly part on the intake manifold comes in and of corse more HP with the more air
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
      I belive its becuase of the two intake tracks the car has. When running normally only one is open. Then at WOT the second track opens and thats where the 2nd curly part on the intake manifold comes in and of corse more HP with the more air
      Is it that the 3.5's just didn't get this?
      2006 6.0 LS2 GTO Metallic Black
      2007 3.5 VVT G6 Liquid Silver - Gone.

Comment

Re: Stupid Question, but thought I would ask

Originally posted by PwrG6Guy
        I did some more supercharging stuff and just kinda was wondering. :smoke:
        Wait, you supercharged your 3.5?

edit: nm i just realised who i was talking to.
        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Yea, unfortianly niether 3500 got it. If you ever hear of the high end air intake manifold tracks that the 3900 has, thats it. Most car companies dont offer that feature on cars thats under 35K ish.

All it is like I said is the 3900 runs off of just one of those tracks. The first track is accaully smaller and is tuned more for econemy around town ect. Then when you floor it the second bigger air intake track opens at the same time the VVT is changed to a more agressive profile. And that is where alot of the 3900s power is generated from

2013 Mustang GT
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Yea, unfortianly niether 3500 got it. If you ever hear of the high end air intake manifold tracks that the 3900 has, thats it. Most car companies dont offer that feature on cars thats under 35K ish.

All it is like I said is the 3900 runs off of just one of those tracks. The first track is accaully smaller and is tuned more for econemy around town ect. Then when you floor it the second bigger air intake track opens at the same time the VVT is changed to a more agressive profile. And that is where alot of the 3900s power is generated from
            Would I be correct to assume that the 3.6L shares this feature? I'd go mess around in my engine compartment, but I'm lazy..

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
            - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
            - DS S3 Intake
            - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeGTP

Would I be correct to assume that the 3.6L shares this feature? I'd go mess around in my engine compartment, but I'm lazy..
              I don't think so. The 3.6 is an OHC, the 3.9 is a pushrod.

Although I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                Originally posted by PrimeGTP

I don't think so. The 3.6 is an OHC, the 3.9 is a pushrod.

Although I may be wrong.
                True, I hadn't thought of that.

Guess I'll be banging around under my hood later

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

I know for the 3.6L in the CTS it has a very similar design to the 3.9L intake manifold. The long design allows for a longer port which is better for power production. Also, you'll notice how low the intake manifold is - necessary to fit under the CTS's hood :-)

But some shots of the horizontal 3.6 would be interesting to see
                  Originally posted by colinpeddle
                  They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                  That here, by G6er law, we lie
                  Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                  THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Originally posted by carsuperfreak
                    I know for the 3.6L in the CTS it has a very similar design to the 3.9L intake manifold. The long design allows for a longer port which is better for power production. Also, you'll notice how low the intake manifold is - necessary to fit under the CTS's hood :-)

But some shots of the horizontal 3.6 would be interesting to see
                    I might be able to get some pictures after my service today. Not enough time for anything specific, but I can pop the covers and get some general angle shots.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

No, the 3.6L doesnt have it either. Only the 3900 has it I belive. majority of your power is from the DOHC configuration

2013 Mustang GT
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Working...
                      X