06 SS running hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 SS running hot!

Not sure where to put this, but since I have a 06 Malibu Maxx SS with the 3.9, figure I might as well put it in the Malibu section.

My question would be....do these 3.9's naturally run hotter than most, I mean my temp gauge is always a little bit above the halfway mark. Then today, my brother pointed out that when I started it up to take off, he noticed it was pretty close to the 3/4 mark. I suppose they only made these 3.9's for a year (correct me if I'm wrong), so maybe that was one of the problems, not sure.

Just to give ya'll a few details, living in MN, today it was about 60 degrees out, not using any A/C or heat, nothing is blocking the front end at all, air dam on the very bottom is good...sooo, I'm just curious.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Re: 06 SS running hot!

With my dash hawk even with a 185 thermostat I use to run 199-205 is what its telling me. Since my 3900 engine has been ripped apart a dozen times for head gasket issues my G6 runs 210-217. Even with that 17 degree diffrence my 3900 always sits one dash below the 225 degree marker on the cluster as factory gauges are only near the mark never trully acurate. Only time my car hits the 225 degree marker on my drive cluster is if its hot was off after running but after turning the car on with in a minute its back to the dash before 225.
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

dre256....wouldn't head gasket problems be because of a engine running too hot...I could be wrong, but my brother says that you could get warped heads and all that expensive stuff!

Comment

Yes a head gasket can cause an engine to run hot, the 3900s do have head gasket issues. But everyone so far that has had head gasket isses (my self included) has all been from leaking coolent and going low on coolent and the cause is the head gasket not from running hot. But I wouldnt but it out of the question.

And yes running hot in the red can warp heads and be costly. My 2nd head gasket I went through that wasnt covered by GM (VERY long story) cost me 2300 for head gasket, resurface a head from being miss handed by the dealership, and fix a bad lifter and rocker arm the dealership screwed up.

Are you going through anti-freeze? If so its prob the head gasket, if not might be something else like a bad fan rely or somthing
        Last edited by dre256; 10-18-2010, 10:52 PM.

2013 Mustang GT
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

dre256...thanks for the info...not going through coolant, according to the DIC, I had to add some coolant back in July, but it was literally not even half a cup to bring to normal, no problems since then. But now that I'm thinking as I type this, I suppose you can't always rely on the DIC, so I'll have to check that out in the morning, and I'll check the thermostat and fan relay. Thanks again though, I do appreciate it!

Comment

No problem!

2013 Mustang GT
            Brembo brake package
            420 HP 5.0L
            Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Originally posted by MaxxMeister View Post
              dre256...thanks for the info...not going through coolant, according to the DIC, I had to add some coolant back in July, but it was literally not even half a cup to bring to normal, no problems since then. But now that I'm thinking as I type this, I suppose you can't always rely on the DIC, so I'll have to check that out in the morning, and I'll check the thermostat and fan relay. Thanks again though, I do appreciate it!
              do the 3.5's not have any sensor for low coolant level or something? my DIC has NEVER said the coolant has been low and the level has been everywhere from full to the mark to empty bottle and the stupid dealership that replaced my head gasket had to add a freaking gallon to the bottle to fill it up when they gave my car back, since they obviosuly didnt put enough in it when they were gonna give it back to me and it never even said low coolant then either.......

Comment

Originally posted by SexyG6 View Post
                do the 3.5's not have any sensor for low coolant level or something? my DIC has NEVER said the coolant has been low and the level has been everywhere from full to the mark to empty bottle and the stupid dealership that replaced my head gasket had to add a freaking gallon to the bottle to fill it up when they gave my car back, since they obviosuly didnt put enough in it when they were gonna give it back to me and it never even said low coolant then either.......
                Yes you have a low coolent sensor but I dont know how low it has to get to throw the code. GM has had for years minor issues with bad coolent sensors from caddy to pontiac but ussally when they go bad they just always says low coolent not the other way around. Am going to guess you didnt hit that level where its supose to through the code. On my car when my head gasket went and was putting coolent in my bottle was going low and I was just putting it in before the sensor came on so I dont know how low is low unfortinally.

If you have removed the DIC and didnt put an aftermarket one in and just a head unit you wouldnt get the code anymore anyway as you need the DIC to show the code.

2013 Mustang GT
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

no, ive still got the stock radio, and was just wondering, cuz it seems stupid that you can be a full gallon low and it not have the low coolant message come up.........its not like it holds all that much in the first place lol

Comment

Originally posted by SexyG6 View Post
                    no, ive still got the stock radio, and was just wondering, cuz it seems stupid that you can be a full gallon low and it not have the low coolant message come up.........its not like it holds all that much in the first place lol
                    Yea they system I cant image is more then a gallon and 3/4 maybe 2 gallons. Something isnt right, unfortianlly it follows the theme of all the "minor" and "major" issues the G6 has that GM just abandoned us on and isnt suporting or hearing anyones complants on.

2013 Mustang GT
                    Brembo brake package
                    420 HP 5.0L
                    Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

my 3.5L threw the code on cold mornings this fall already.. so it is SUPPOSED to work.. good luck

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

my G6 with the 3.9 runs around 210º next line down from 225º

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                        Originally posted by ahuhn
                        so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Hey snowman....it has always been there? And you've had no problems from it? Well, then...I'm all good here...I know some engines run hotter then others, it's just always a surprise when friends or family come up to my car after its been running awhile. So I just wanted to double check with all you guys (and gals) on here....like I said in my first post, in the DIC, it did say "low coolant" back in like June or July, and I literally only put in like half a cup, haven't had a problem since. Soooo, it just runs hotter...I'm good!! Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6 View Post
                            my G6 with the 3.9 runs around 210º next line down from 225º
                            Thats what Both my 3.5 snd my new 3.6 GXP run at too according to the temp guage..............210 degrees is also what the linetruck with a massive diesel engine runs at at work too LOL..........

Comment

06 GTP coupe with 41500 miles runs at no more than 205F via Dashhawk
                              I changed the coolant to the green safe stuff like 20k miles ago.
                              No recently visible coolant leaks. I used to have one, for 2 days at 28k but apparently it self healed. Dunno from where.

Comment

Working...
                              X