No announcement yet.

How- To Dissabled 6spd Reverse Lockout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How- To Dissabled 6spd Reverse Lockout.

The only thing that has irked me since buying this GTP 6spd has been the fact that you must put the car in reverse and leave it in gear to remove the key, And once in reverse you cannot take the car out of gear without a key..... Retarded!

I realize that they designed this system for a reason... I really don't care though.

Every manual trans car I've always owned, I take the car out of gear leave in nuetral and then put the parking brake on. Every one of them. Been the way I drive stick cars ever since I learned many moons ago. So when I start a car out of habit I
    put the clutch in, and then release (again habit this is my habit maybe you are different) the clutch out if need be to let the car warm up or just get settled in and ready to drive.... DOH! there goes the car lurching in reverse on me.. Fucker!

I had the car here at work today with me and in the shop washing it off. My brain somehow got thinking of this issue, while I was washing the car off. So I then started searching for a way to dissable this annoyance while I'm here at work.

I knew that the whole thing stemmed from the shifter assembly in the colsole. GM uses cable systems for the auto trans lockout features, I knew its most likley the same type of setup. I puled the console out. (simple job really, just gotta make sure you have the wiring harness' unplugged and pulled out of place.) Took one look at the shifter while moving from nuetral to reverse, Ahha! there you are. Sure enough, A cable system that connects to the shifter, and pulls on the cable when not in reverse, Once in reverse, a detent throws the cable system latch down and lets the cable loose letting the key come out.
    Simple solution: Pull off the cable for this reverse/ign cylinder and leave it undone so that it thinks its always in reverse in terms of the lock cylinder. HA! it worked. and I don't have to leave it in gear, or have to have it in reverse to get the key in or out.

I'll do up a how to and take pictures later. I didn't have my digi cam here with me to do any of that. Its pretty freaking simple though.

Just make sure you wrap up the loose cable so its not rattling around or can get caught up in anything.
    Colin.
    06 G6 GTP. 6spd.
    92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid N/A 13.99 @ 95.22mph
    90 Talon TSi -13.76 @ 99.41

Well it looks like thats my first mod, I hate the reverse lockout to. Thanks for the info dood.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

No worries. At least if you dissabled this, You could put on a Remote starter system on the car finally as you don't need to leave it in gear anymore to remove the key.

I'll try and take some pics of what needs to be done to take it all apart sometime. Just been buisy lately.
      Colin.
      06 G6 GTP. 6spd.

Comment

I was trying to "just pull off the cable" and it is attached pretty well. How did you take it off? I was also only accessing the shifter assembly through the opening fo the shifter trim, which just pops right off.
        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
        Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Any chance somebody has pics of this process? Under the hood I'm good to go, but I am notorious for completely destroying interior pieces.
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe
          :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
          :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
          :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Aren't you notorious for destroying things under the hood too?

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

owned!
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

damnit!
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

I'll try and dissasemble the console again sometime in the near future and take pics for you and the site Kyle.

I just see someone has had a bad accident due to this retarded "safety" feature! Ouch.
                  Colin.
                  06 G6 GTP. 6spd.

Comment

Ouch! yeah those pics of Borent's car hurt!
                    2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

I'll update this with real pics from the car when I get time to tear it apart again.

CENTER CONSOLE REMOVAL:

1. Remove the right console trim plate. Refer to Console Trim Panel Replacement - Right .
                      2. Remove the left console trim panel. Refer to Console Trim Panel Replacement - Left .

-Panel Assembly, Console Trim

Tip The console trim panel is secured with a hook and loop fastener at the forward edge.

3. Remove the parking brake lever bezel. Refer to Parking Brake Lever Bezel Replacement .

-Bezel Assembly, Park Brake
                      Tip

1. Apply the park brake.
                      2. Use a plastic trim tool to release the retainer at the rear edge of the bezel.
                      3. Slide the bezel and boot assembly over the park brake lever.

1) Trim Cover, Console Bolt (Qty: 4)

Tip
                      • To gain access to the front console bolts and covers, the front seats need to be positioned in the full rearward position.
                      • To gain access to the rear console bolts and covers, the front seats need to be positioned in the full forward position.

2) Bolt, Front Floor Console (Qty: 4)

Tighten 6 N·m (53 lb in)

3) Console Assembly, Front Floor

Tip

1. There are 2 retainer clips located at the rearward edge of the shifter bezel. Care must be taken when lifting the console from this area to avoid damaging the shifter bezel.
                      2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

___ well this really sucks. I cant for some reason log onto my ftp to upload pictures. Anyone have some space for me to upload a few pics to paste into here right now? I'll have to come back and try again later. odd.
                      Colin.
                      06 G6 GTP. 6spd.

Comment

I'll host them.

mbiker97 at yahoo dot com
                        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
                          I'll host them.

mbiker97 at yahoo dot com
                          Sent you an email with the pics, Let me know if you don't get them.

Thanks.
                          Colin.
                          06 G6 GTP. 6spd.

Comment

Here are the pics:

Comment

To disable the reverse ignition lock, push the mechanism forward and unhook the cable from the pin as indicated by the arrows.
                              2006 Fusion Orange G6 GTPOS Coupe 6MT ~ #75
                              Vision Bulbs 6000k HID Xenon low beams

Comment

Working...
                              X