Top speed governor discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top speed governor discussion

i have decided to re-open a discussion about removing the top speed limiter on our cars. i'll admit i jumped the gun at first because the first thing that popped into my head was "the VMS tune takes care of this so it is covered". in hind sight that was not the point of the threads seeing as the Vector re-tune may not be the only way to bypass the governor. another concern with myself and other mods was the possibility of this turning into a "i need to go faster so i can beat my friend in his mustang/camaro/H2/STi/etc". this is not a street racing forum, and while most of us are probably guilty of it at one time or another it will NOT become the main focus of this thread.

that being said...my apologies for closing the other threads.

now lets hear some ideas!

Are you asking for ideas on how to remove the speed governor? Or just general discussion about it?
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Originally posted by carsuperfreak
      Are you asking for ideas on how to remove the speed governor? Or just general discussion about it?
      either or. last time people were asking how to get rid of it and i deleted the threads and then realized i probably shouldn't have

Comment

The sedan's is way too low, 105-6mph???

course, w/ S rated tires.
        2006 6.0 LS2 GTO Metallic Black
        2007 3.5 VVT G6 Liquid Silver - Gone.

Comment

Originally posted by PwrG6Guy

really? that must be for either the 3.5 or the 2007 model year. my '06 GTP Sedan with crappy GoodYear LS2 tires is governed at 114mph.

Comment

IMO, people are much more concerned with removing their governor than with doing it safely. To a point, there is a reason why a car has a governor, the tires of couse probably being the most important reason. Others though, like the W-body cars (grand prix, impala, even the bonneville) - at least the previous gen - got reallllly floaty above 100 as it is. I'd be very careful about trying to remove the governor. Although, I have run up to 105-110 on a few occasoins, but I can say I've only been north of 120 twice.

To me, it seems a lot more work and effort than its worth.
            Originally posted by colinpeddle
            They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
            That here, by G6er law, we lie
            Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
            THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

I would agree with the "worth the effort" part (that coming from the one who started a weight reduction thread lol) BUT, in the interest of expanding the known knowledge of the car, all options must be explored and made available to those who are interested and willing to make that effort. After all, if it's just the tires that are the main concern, I'd be all over adjusting the governor if I did a tyre swap.

However, I'll admit, the few times I've had it up to 115 and the car just hung at that point, I cursed it. But at the same time with the tire specs lingering in the back of my mind, I wasn't too upset about it after all.

With respect to having a thread about it, if it is stickied, a warning in bold needs to be attached to the top post to let people know any problems which may arise from this mod.... like engine problems, tire wear and that little thing called death.

Originally posted by carsuperfreak
              IMO, people are much more concerned with removing their governor than with doing it safely. To a point, there is a reason why a car has a governor, the tires of couse probably being the most important reason. Others though, like the W-body cars (grand prix, impala, even the bonneville) - at least the previous gen - got reallllly floaty above 100 as it is. I'd be very careful about trying to remove the governor. Although, I have run up to 105-110 on a few occasoins, but I can say I've only been north of 120 twice.

To me, it seems a lot more work and effort than its worth.
              The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16

really? that must be for either the 3.5 or the 2007 model year. my '06 GTP Sedan with crappy GoodYear LS2 tires is governed at 114mph.
                114/115 for the Bu Maxx too... so I've been told. I've heard of a bunch of ways to drop the limiter however some of them were so complicated such as switching wires and soldering things in the PCM... I know I wouldn't do that.
                Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

That is correct and that is why the only known was is to modify the vehicle's computer via a tuning software.....

John
                  Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

We rarely get the opportunity to run our cars at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Knowing that your car has an enhanced governor or one that is removed, comes with a lot of responsibility. Driver skill and vehicle stability are of great importance at high speeds.
                    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                    Forge Motorsports BPV
                    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Originally posted by MalibuMaxx
                      Originally posted by bristol16

114/115 for the Bu Maxx too... so I've been told. I've heard of a bunch of ways to drop the limiter however some of them were so complicated such as switching wires and soldering things in the PCM... I know I wouldn't do that.
                      It might be because I have a coupe, I dont know but my car with the LS2's is governed at 118. I have no reson personally to go faster than that. Just hit it once becuase was corious. Only one time in my whole life I "wanted" to go an excess of that speed was a few years ago going to FL in my t-bird, a corvette and I was crusing down the interstate together and he punhed it a few times in my old 3.8L could never stay up
                      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                      Gotta have it Green color
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack
                      GT500 track pack differential cover
                      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Mine is governed at 185 km/hr. I have the Vector tune and it's still governed. Chris (GTPPrix) told me it may be governed via the ABS module.

I'm not that interested in going faster than 185 (especially with the LS2s) so I'm haven't bothered to follow up on it further.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                          Mine is governed at 185 km/hr. I have the Vector tune and it's still governed. Chris (GTPPrix) told me it may be governed via the ABS module.

I'm not that interested in going faster than 185 (especially with the LS2s) so I'm haven't bothered to follow up on it further.
                          Thats about as fast as Ive taken mine (120mph here in the states.) I didnt attempt to go any faster as that was as fast as I felt comfortable going.
                          BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

130mph no govener

I live in AZ and have to travel to Las Vegas every so often and have never had a problem, mine seems to be governed above 130mph. I regularly drive 120-130 cursing to Vegas (long, flat, smooth, and straight road). 130mph is all i can get the car to do I think that is a power/weight thing the engine / accelerator never cuts out.

2006 G6 GT sedan w/17" inch wheels

PS: I do know all the Highway Patrol officers and carry a police radio. wouldn't try it if I didn't know who was going to pull me over.

Comment

First off, welcome!

The governer in my car is not a fuel shutoff or anything like that. It doesn't feel like hitting a wall. the car just stops accelerating. It will hold the governed speed forever, but not go over it.

I'm not sure if 130 is the governed speed for the GT or if it's the actual top speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X