Speaker Upgrade/ Sub & amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Upgrade/ Sub & amp question

Hey fellow G6'rs i wanted drop by and ask for some opinions on a speaker upgrade. I recently noticed that on my driver side it sounds like my midrange speaker is burst cause it gives off this rattling noise when i have the music turned up. I was looking for some aftermarket components to replace them and wanted the specs to match up with the monsoon speakers cause i know their rated at 2ohms. These are the ones i cam across and was wondering if these would be a good buy.

My 2nd question was is that i wanted to add a sub woofer to my factory system and i decided to run with the Hifonics Zeus ZX12S4 12" Single 4 Ω 1000 W MAXX 500 W RMS and wanted to pair it with one of their amps and wanted to know which one would be best for me. here's the link for the list of amps they have for this sub: http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_Zeus_ZXi_Amps.html

And here is the enclosure i was going to go with due to it was designed specifically for the G6: http://cgi.express.ebay.com/ws/eBayI...id=p2759.l1259

I hope this is enough information for you guys and i await all the responses. Thanks a million my fellow G6'rs
    Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Re: Speaker Upgrade/ Sub & amp question

#1 go for it
    #2 i would get ZX12D2 instead and get zxi60+1k and wire all speakers to the amp
    #3 go for it
    2005 Pontiac G6
    AVH-P3100DVD

Comment

@getonerd
      i appreciate the feed back man and it looks like that's the setup i'ma run with. I don't want to change out my 6x9's so do you think that would be a good idea. cause it's on the front ones i'ma need to change. don't want to spend any more money than i have to. And i'm keeping my factory head unit so everything should be alright. thanks again and i await your response
      Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

just thought i'd voice my opinions incase you havent purchased anything yet.

#1 They look pretty good. i'd go for it. though if you can afford it, get something from JL Audio. I guarantee you wont regret it. Im assuming you have the monsoon system in your car if your saying you want to match the monsoons so just run the new components off the monsoon amp rather than getting an amp to power everything.

#2 Get a 2ohm sub instead of a 4ohm sub. Less resistance = more power. Also, are you stuck on Hifonics? I'm running an Elemental Designs e5.12 in my car and i love it. only $250, 12", 1000WRMS, 2000W Max, 2ohm. I have nothing but good things to say about them and their products.

eD e5.12

AS for an amp. just get a mono amp to power the sub. again if your stuck on hifonics, get the HFi1000D. But if your open to suggestions i'd look into the elemental designs NINe.1. $350, 1200W @ 12.5V, 1500W-1600W @ 14.4V, runs super cool. definitely the best power/cost out of any amp i've ever seen. Occasionally they will go on sale for $195!!

NINe.1

#3 build your own box! i currently have a sealed .95f3 box for my sub and i hate the way it sounds. as soon as my midterms are over im ripping it out and putting in a 2f3 ported box in. imo ported boxes sounds far better than sealed boxes. use the re enclosure calculator to design your box.

enclosure calculator

Comment

@dmanj
          I appreciate the feedback man. I already got the box and sub. All that's left to look at is a amp and some components. I looked at JL audio and there a little pricey and all their componets are rated at 4ohms. But i'll still keep them in mind cause i know they make great products and i've heard nothing to good things about them. As for elemental design i believe i had come across them a long time ago but didn't really pay them any attention like that. Guess cause i haven't heard of them before, but i read the reviews that were on the site and i seen nothing but good feedback. And i'm really looking for an amp that won't over heat and i read about how this one stays pretty cool, so that's a plus. but i also may look at the Hifonics HFi1000D too. Thanks for the input though. If you have any more info don't hesitate to bring it to my attention. Thanks again

Comment

JL may be a bit more expensive, but i can guarantee you its worth the extra coin. After hearing the c2 6x9's compared to the type r's that i was going to put in my car, im so glad i chose JL. Far superior sound quality. Not gonna lie i kind of regret putting Alpine Type X components in my car rather then some JL components.

At the time i was looking for subs/amps i had never heard of Elemental Designs either. A guy on a forum had one and recommended them to me. So i spent some time on their forum and chatted with the employees a bit online and ended up purchasing a sub and amp from them. Was delivered 3 days later and has been running perfectly ever since. I do know the NINe.1 stays pretty cool. Alot cooler than my PDX-F4 does for a matter of fact. And the fact that your getting 1500-1600W for $350 its a bad thing either If your considering one, i would email them and ask if its ever going to go on sale again. i think they were on sale around november-december last year. might be worth waiting for it. although they do get back ordered when they go on sale

Comment

@dmanj Well i wasn't really looking into changing out the 6x9's, but thanks for the suggestion. I figured if i was to get the JL c2 6 1/2 component and 6x9's i just go ahead and get the Hifonics zxi60+1k and power everything being's it has 5 channels on it. The only thing i don't think i would like is this thing is pretty big from the measurements. But i think i'll do a little more reasearch before i make a decision.

Comment

The 6x9 thing was just a comparison to how i felt about the sound quality of the JL 6x9s that i put in my car vs. the Alpine 6x9's that i was going to put in. If your rears are fine, why spend the money unless you really dont like them. That Hifonics zxi60+1k looks like a pretty solid amp. I would definitely go for it if you want a 5 channel amp. I think the only trouble now for you is going to be finding a place to mount that amp;-)

Comment

Yeah, your right i think i'll just stick with changing out my two fronts and leave my 6x9's cause there good to go. And i was thinking about where i would mount that massive thing too. Kinda torn between the elemental design amp you showed me and the hifonics 5 channel. The only i would probably go with that one is just in case i decide to upgrade my system i wouldn't have to spend anymore money on an amp just have everything running out this one. But if i was to get it mounted i'd probably have to customize that part. Quick question though was thinking about going with the JL Audio 6 1/2 components and i know their rated at 4ohms and the moonsoon's are rated at 2ohms. You think that would be a problem as far as sound quality beings the moonsoon amp doesn't provide that much power.

Comment

A custom rack will be sick. Im building 2 racks for my amps this winter when i put my new box in. As of the ohms. Im not sure. Apparently i've been told that the independence of a speaker is different than the resistance of the voice coil of a sub. If they were the same, you would just lose a bit of volume because the resistance would be higher. but in this case i dont know. hopefully someone else can answer that question.

Comment

Alright finally made the decision to just go ahead and get the infinity's beings their already at 2ohms and run with the elemental designs amp you suggested. Might have to wait to get that though. But i wanted to ask you a question about some line-out converters. I ran acorss 2 and wanted to know which would would be the best one to run with. here are the links:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ger+SGN12.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s+ALOC608.html

Comment

Either one will be fine, they both look basically the same. In the end they are both going to do the same thing

Comment

thanks man i appreciate it. I think i'll go with the stinger read the reviews and they've all been positive.

Comment

Working...
                          X