MMI Mixed hardness install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMI Mixed hardness install

Well, after almost one year of having the MMI for my auto 3.9, yesterday I bite the bullet and decided to install them.

For those who may not remember, I was having the idea of mixing MMI hardness, race in front, street in the back just to see what would be the results and also, if the vibraitons where less.
    Well, after a 3 hours install, putting the race MMI in the back and the softer street in the front, engine vibrations where extremely noticeable, up to the point of hearing some rattling inside.
    Now, after a nice cooldown I swapped them and the rumble was still present but no vibrations (compared to the first setup)
    But the engine is rock solid, no movement whatsoever and even seems to like the steadiness.
    I wonder if sever engine rocking would cause false knocking or if now, that the engine feels almost welded to the car, would cause that.

As for the product itself. Great quality, ease of intallation (not counting getting to mount)
    Word of advice.... I had to use a small file to smooth out the rubber casting inside the OEM mounts and that helped dramatically the process of install and removal later on.
    Also, I used silicone grease instead of dish soap just to be sure that anything will react to the plastic.

Re: MMI Mixed hardness install

I have this exact setup, race FMM & street RMM, for almost a year now and I dont even notice the little vibrations anymore. So drive it for a while and it will all go away..
    Last edited by hnda8n; 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

where do you have each one?

I have the race one on the front and the street on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by hnda8n View Post
        I have this exact setup, race FMM & street RMM, for almost a year now and I dont even notice the little vibrations anymore. So drive it for a while and it will all go away..

Comment

i have BOTH MMIs race series and yes there were some pretty good vibrations but dont really get much vibes at all unless pulling a hill in 4th gear on the highway sometimes........i get a little bit of rattle at that point to but from threads on here its kinda sounding like it might be the rear cat rattling.........but idk for sure

edit: i should add that i installed them at 95k miles and am now close to 120k miles, and most of the vibration went away after about 7-10 k miles....
          Last edited by SexyG6; 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM.

Comment

i was actually just about to buy a set of these, should i get street or race?
            Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, Eyebrow 5% tint, Windshield 35% tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Painted engine covers, LED tails, 6K Lows, 8K Highs, 6K Fogs Painted grilles, Painted window trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, RacingLine STB, RacingLine Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W

Progression Thread -
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18428

Comment

Umm....you should probably get the street version, unless you like vibrations. All you want to do is stiffen the engine mounts to avoid un-neccessary engine movement and torque steer. Oh and you should also change your info under your avatar, you have an 08 G6 and they have the LZ4 vvt...

Comment

Originally posted by hnda8n View Post
                Umm....you should probably get the street version, unless you like vibrations. All you want to do is stiffen the engine mounts to avoid un-neccessary engine movement and torque steer. Oh and you should also change your info under your avatar, you have an 08 G6 and they have the LZ4 vvt...
                yeah all im trying to do is stiffen the engine and limit that torque steer. and ill go change the engine lol, i didnt know so i just left it. thanks
                Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, Eyebrow 5% tint, Windshield 35% tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Painted engine covers, LED tails, 6K Lows, 8K Highs, 6K Fogs Painted grilles, Painted window trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, RacingLine STB, RacingLine Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W

Progression Thread -
                http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18428

Comment

No problem

Comment

Torque steer? --- is that the jerking motions on the highway when you gun the engine and the steering of the car jerks a bit to the left or right?
                    Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Working...
                    X