quick tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick tranny question

is it bad to be using L and 3 as a fake tapshift, i kinda downshift to them and upshift form l to 3 to drive

Re: quick tranny question

You can, but could possibly damage your transmission if you screw up. For the reliability of the vehicle, it is best to just put it in automatic. It's not reasonable for daily driving.
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
    GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
    Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

well i have warranty for the next 20 000 km so i guess ill do it for the next 19 and make something up thats wrong and get them to check the tranny

Comment

That would be ok so long as they dont figure out that you did something thats out of the ordinary use for your transmission, if they do it'll be you paying for repairs either that or it'll blow out of warranty, if u want it to last then I'd treat it right, just my 2 cents.

Comment

I would say its fine as long as you don't wrap the engine out when doing it just for the tranny's sake
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

a related question is it bad to shift between drive and neutral frequently when driving?

Comment

Originally posted by EnfieldG6 View Post
              a related question is it bad to shift between drive and neutral frequently when driving?
              I do it everytime I shift LOL

Actually on a auto I wouldn't think it would be a good idea. That being with a stick when you're in neutral (or press clutch down) you rev match before you engage the gear. When it's a auto... it doesn't rev match. It kinda throws it into gear and going from neutral to drive it can pick any gear and if it ends up being higher RPM's in a low gear the engine may not be able to rev match quick enough and over time it might do damage.

Even with tapshift on my G6.. it did not seem to like it when i'd go into a lower gear and didn't feel like the car/tranny was made to do it..
              2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
              Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
              Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
              2005 CGM GTO.
              386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
              2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

i have perfected my rev matching on an auto tranny lol u get like a 1.4 of a second when its down shifting to rev match it

Comment

video or stfu. i've tried rev matching multiple ways in the G6 and it just doesn't work. without being able to rev match, tapshift is 99% useless to me.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

You know what's neat. The 370Z has paddleshifters(tapshift) that will revmatch between the shift. Neat-o.

It's really not to hard to do. It's all in programming really.
                    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
                    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan View Post
                      I do it everytime I shift LOL

Actually on a auto I wouldn't think it would be a good idea. That being with a stick when you're in neutral (or press clutch down) you rev match before you engage the gear. When it's a auto... it doesn't rev match. It kinda throws it into gear and going from neutral to drive it can pick any gear and if it ends up being higher RPM's in a low gear the engine may not be able to rev match quick enough and over time it might do damage.

Even with tapshift on my G6.. it did not seem to like it when i'd go into a lower gear and didn't feel like the car/tranny was made to do it..
                      I have been doing this in my 6 to save gas for probably 20-30 thousand miles. Thranny still performs perfectly. It is an old hyper mileing trick, its called nuetral coasting. As long as you dont rev it before you put it back in drive it should be no problem, now reving and then putting it in drive most likely will cause damage.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Eh I suppose it might be fine. I really don't know. However I do that mileing trick going down long hills in the goat. Just pop it in neutral and slide down.

Again why I love my stick

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan View Post
                          You know what's neat. The 370Z has paddleshifters(tapshift) that will revmatch between the shift. Neat-o.

It's really not to hard to do. It's all in programming really.
                          the manual trans does it as well. i think it's crap that makes drivers lazy.

Originally posted by Jordan5150 View Post
                          I have been doing this in my 6 to save gas for probably 20-30 thousand miles. Thranny still performs perfectly. It is an old hyper mileing trick, its called nuetral coasting. As long as you dont rev it before you put it back in drive it should be no problem, now reving and then putting it in drive most likely will cause damage.
                          when you put it in nuetral the motor keeps using fuel to keep the motor going. by leaving it in gear and going without throttle it'll shut off the injectors and save fuel.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Working...
                          X