GT-R Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-R Question

Hey all you people with GT-R's (or you Sam)! I've noticed some things about the airflow out of the tailpipes and wanted to know if you're experiencing something similar. First thing I noticed is lately when I clean my car (and I've been driving it real hard lately ) there is a lot of black soot on the left (driver's) side tip, but pretty much nothing on the right side. Then this morning when it was like 32 degrees outside, I started the car early to warm it up. Then when I went back outside I noticed a lot of steam coming from the left tailpipe, but nothing from the right. Then later today when it was a little warmer I started it up, drove it around a lot, and parked it while it was still running. I got out and put my hand behind the exhaust tips. The airflow from the left was very high and very warm. The airflow from the right was minimal and felt pretty cool. I checked all the connections and there weren't any major leaks. The only leaks I found were a small one from the left side post-muffler(?!) and some black soot around the GT-R 180-degree bend weld on the right side ( ). I think it's the design of the system and the flow of the muffler. My guess is the left side gets most of the output, and the right side gets the remainder. I just wanted to know if you guys are experiencing the same thing, just in case there's a problem with my muffler. Thanks!
    ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

I've seen the same thing with the soot...

funny thing is, my stock one was the same way
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

That’s normal, it's just how the mufflers designed.
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

yea my driver side stock exhaust tip is always a little more dirtier than the passenger side. Haven't tested the airflow yet though.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
          I've seen the same thing with the soot...

funny thing is, my stock one was the same way
          That's interesting. With stock I never noticed any difference between the sides. That's why I asked the question.
          ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
            yea my driver side stock exhaust tip is always a little more dirtier than the passenger side. Haven't tested the airflow yet though.
            A "little" more dirtier? Mine is basically black on the driver's side and NOTHING on the passenger side. Again, that's why I asked the question.

Comment

well I always clean them before it really builds up, but I definitely notice more soot on the driver side. And the driver side tip is more pitted than the other side.
              -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

My driver's side is always more dirty too. And my Grand Am was the same way (both systems being stock)

Comment

same here on stock...driver is darker

and i have felt the airflow before..and depending on when i check it either side has had more

Comment

same here
                    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                      well I always clean them before it really builds up, but I definitely notice more soot on the driver side.
                      And perhaps that will be the moral to my story... Keep your car clean, ya dirty bastard!

I thought I was cleaning her up well!

Comment

actually had one of my friends ask me about it this past saturday, why it was like taht
                        Originally posted by TLS2000
                        Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                        GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Not only this car, but even with my cougar..it was single exhaust stock, but I got an aftermarket dual exhaust system, and there was more airflow on the driver side...pretty strange how that works.
                          -Mike #1

Comment

It's perfectly normal. Under hard throttle both sides will blow alot of air. The soot is a by product of unleaded gas.

Comment

Both of mine are clean since I've put it on, some dirt but no black stuff on there. My stock system was the same way.

Comment

Working...
                              X