Location of dome/map light wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of dome/map light wiring

Im looking to tap into the dome/map light wires, and dont know where they run. Hopefully someone can help me out with this?
    TIA.

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Re: Location of dome/map light wiring

I can't remember exactly but there are quite a few wires up there taped and glued to the top side of the headliner. Some are bundled and taped toghether and others are not. You'd really be better off just running a 12v accessory wire from the fuse block to power whatever you need to power
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

That is a possibility.
      I am looking to hook up some LED's so they are on with open doors, and will fade out when closed. I would also like them to be on with keyless unlock.
      I found the wire which is triggered by the door, however it only has voltage when the door is closed, and none when the door is open. It would be possible to hook it up to that wire using a relay (i think) but it would be more complicated, and probably wouldnt allow them to dim.

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

I was looking into this the last couple of days to i wanted to have lights by the foot-well and possible backseat area. Do the same so far i was planing on running lights from the dome. PITA but not sure what else i could do. I already have wires every wear from other projects LOL whats a little more.
        My Progress thread
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...282#post429282

Comment

you could try pulling the headliner down on one side and just tapping off the stock dome light wires but check the voltages on them first to make sure its what you need since you mentioned the door wires work differently
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

And how does the headliner come off?

Comment

Look at this picture, ifyou don't understand, check your inbox and call me.

Oh yeah, this is the fuse box area located on the passenger side of the center console
              Last edited by BAMBAMM; 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM.
              "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Originally posted by BORN2SKI View Post
                And how does the headliner come off?
                pull off the A-pillar on the side you want to pull down-there's a little access door you pop off with a screw behind it and you have to pull off the trim covering the middle of the car-B pillar I believe? Once you get those off just work it free with your fingers from the weatherstriping and it should just pull down on that side. Be careful with it though, you don't want to leave any creases or bends in the headliner material.

Check the How-To on fixing the sunroof drain tubes. I believe it actually shows you how to pull the headliner down on one side in there

Comment

Originally posted by BAMBAMM View Post
                  Look at this picture, ifyou don't understand, check your inbox and call me.

Oh yeah, this is the fuse box area located on the passenger side of the center console
                  So if you add the ground to that location it will make that like a switch to turn on with the dome light? Im usually pretty good with electical but im confused. Ive use that location in the past for add a fuse but now go straight from the battery.
                  My Progress thread

Comment

So I gave it a shot, wired as in the pic, and it works great!
                    The lights that were wired up turn on when the dome lights are on (except when you turn them manually), and dim as they go off. This means that at night, when the car is unlocked, the lights go on with the hi-beams, and when the doors are opened. In both cases, they dim to go off.
                    I just don’t like the interior LED's, and it was not meant to be permanent anyway but an experiment to see if it would work.
                    Thanks all for the help!

Comment

Just noticed it all went well, congrats! I've still gotta do this with my new G6. The Red will work great with the new Red Exterior and Black interior.

ps.........Glad I could help.

and Daniel, I believe you are reading it correctly. give it a shot, I think you're almost there.
                      "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                        So if you add the ground to that location it will make that like a switch to turn on with the dome light? Im usually pretty good with electical but im confused. Ive use that location in the past for add a fuse but now go straight from the battery.
                        Not really sure what you asking, but here goes:
                        With the LED's hooked up this way, they will turn on when the vehicle doors are opened, and will turn off when the interior lights go off. The LED's will also go on (if approach lighting is enabled in DIC) when the vehicle is unlocked at night.
                        Either way, when the interior lights dim to turn off, the LED's will also dim to turn off.
                        The LED's will not turn on if you manually turn on the front dome light (either left or right).
                        I do not know if they will turn on if you change the dome light switch (above centre armrest) to always on, I have a GT w pano roof, so I don't have that the dome light above the centre armrest

Bam:
                        I have updated the pic, added some notes, and changed the caption at the top about removing the black cover.

Comment

Thanks alot Guys!
                          I wish there was a way to give some rep. on here this hole thread was a win LOL
                          I just installed map dome and foot-well Leds for a buddies last night. But he has an impala only a little bit of custom stuff. And it looks sick. Now i can do the foot-well and some other little stuff, For my car.
                          My Progress thread

Comment

my rendition of this is gonna be to add a relay using a fuse that turns on and off with the car to swtich my normal ground on and off so that wen i unlock my doors my lights go on but then they also stay on while im driving i just needa pick up a relay

Comment

Well i tested this out yesterday and it works great. For the sedan though i noticed when inside the car after the lights fade out. If you switch the dome light on the lights hooked up to the location have almost no voltage so there barely lit. But the maps and dome are still the same brightness. This isnt a huge issue since i was thinkin of adding some curtisy lights outside. Once i figure out where to put them.

Originally posted by shael View Post
                              my rendition of this is gonna be to add a relay using a fuse that turns on and off with the car to swtich my normal ground on and off so that wen i unlock my doors my lights go on but then they also stay on while im driving i just needa pick up a relay
                              Then i believe your dome light would need to be switched to the on position with this setup? Are you powering some under seat lights?
                              My Progress thread

Comment

Working...
                              X