Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3900 (LZ9) Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) Location

Hi,

Could someone possibly supply a diagram or photo of the location of the camshaft position sensor for the 3900 (LZ9) engine for 2006? 60 minutes of searching for it even with the Haynes repair manual has yielded nothing. The way the book describes the replacement procedure, I should literally be able to do the replacement in 5 minutes.

Here's a shot of the page detailing the replacement procedure:

Background info: A few weeks ago my CEL came on and I went to Auto Zone to get a scan. Code P0011 came back. The CEL comes on and goes off intermittently, which leads me to believe that the issue may just be with wiring and not necessarily a bad sensor. However I still need to know the location to even check the associated wiring.

Any assistance, as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Steve C.
    1991 Red Dodge IROC Daytona - RIP 1991-2006
    2000 Blue Grand AM SE2 Coupe - RIP 2004-2011
    2006 White G6 GTP 6MT Sedan

Re: 3900 (LZ9) Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) Location

It says there "on 3.9 litre engines, the CPM is at the top of the timing chain" could mean on top of the cover or inside the cover. Look around/under the water pump.
    sigpic

Comment

I checked the area around the water pump but didn't see it there. Some further Google searching turned up this thread about an LZ9 tear down on 60degreeV6:

The guy involved has a photobucket with 306 pics of the teardown :-)

I found the location there. Of course this doesn't look easy to get to at all. Here's the pic:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
      Steve C.
      1991 Red Dodge IROC Daytona - RIP 1991-2006
      2000 Blue Grand AM SE2 Coupe - RIP 2004-2011
      2006 White G6 GTP 6MT Sedan

Comment

that would be under the PS pump reservoir and maybe the intake vane servo.
        Anyway, you got some dissasembly to do!

Comment

^good lord, might as well port the intake, throw some heads on it, build it for boost, etc
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
          X