No announcement yet.

High speed vibration and humming noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High speed vibration and humming noise.

Ever since I bought my 2008 G6 brand new a couple of years ago, it has had a humming noise that seemed to come from the transmission on the highway. Usually around 60 to 65 mph. While going that speed, I accelerate a little bit and when the torque converter unlocks, I hear and feel a vibration. There is definitely a noticeable noise there. If I do it while climbing a hill, it's really loud. There's definitely a sweet spot in the power setting for this noise. It doesn't do it when you're at a set speed or under hard acceleration. Usually, just light acceleration.

I've had this thing into different dealers numerous times. I bought the car in Oklahoma, and the dealer there could not figure it out. I moved to Alaska and the car made the noise the whole way up here. The dealer here has had it 7 or 8 times. They know be by name in there. This whole time, I've suspected that it was the transmission or torque converter, even though the car shifts just fine. Anyways, the dealer got tired of me bringing my car in there all the time, so this last time, they kept it for about three weeks and gave me a rental. They FINALLY figured it out. They had to consult with engineers at GM headquarters about it but finally traced the problem down to an exhaust baffle up towards the engine somewhere. They replaced the entire exhaust system on my car. It has about 20,000 miles on it now. FINALLY, this problem is solved.

Apparently, this isn't a very common problem with the G6, but GM has been seeing this on a few cars. Perhaps if somebody else's car is doing this, this thread might help. Now, if I could just get them to replace that intermediate shaft that keeps clunking.
    Matt
    2008 G6
    3.5L V6

Re: High speed vibration and humming noise.

I also have an 08 G6 with the 3.5 and I just fiished a run thru the BC Rockies,(about a 1000 Miles) and using 3rd quite a bit on most of the hills up and down I heard that same sound you're talking about and wondered if it was tranny or exhaust.
    Was kinda leaning towards exhaust cause the tranny was running fine,glad to hear I was right.
    Thanks for posting your results !!!

2008 G6 SE --------------1975 TA

2008 Pontiac G6

Comment

Re: High speed vibration and humming noise.

I have an '06 with 2.4l that does this same thing.

Comment

Working...
      X