Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size exhaust should I go with? (pics of new exhaust!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size exhaust should I go with? (pics of new exhaust!!!)

What size exhaust should I go with, 2.25" or 2.5"? I have used the search engine but cant make up my mind, so looking for opinions. I am very close to booking my appointment to have it done at James Dean muffler. I have a 3.5 liter, but dont want to lose alot of low end, nor do I want to lose gas mileage. I currently have a Dr. Speed CAB. My setup will be basically a carbon copy of Arcanum and Tin Indian's setups (KMAN Style). Dont really plan on doing PCM upgrade. Opinions wanted, please!!!

Thanks, Bill.
    2.25"
    0.00%
    100.00%
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

You wont lose MPG, it will go up. Opens up the engine alot. I think you have 2.25 stock just like the GTPs. I would go with a 2.5 and a single muffler into two outlets. Like the GT-R kit, if thats too much noise you can also do a resinator to quiet it down. Just my oppinon though
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Im at 2.25 back to the Magnaflow Muffler, 2.5 dual to the tips It is all new plumbing, custom built. Factory is 2.25"
      Sounds great at idle, high rpm gets a little raspy, but i am thinking it is my tips.
      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

A true 2.5 is the way to go. That means no crush bend.
        Originally posted by Nikki
        You are an e-pimp.
        Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
        I tried too, my penis way too big
        07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
        My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
        The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

I think i've got a 2.25 cat back, no resonator to a magnaflow muffler.

3" magnaflow tips.
          2006 6.0 LS2 GTO Metallic Black
          2007 3.5 VVT G6 Liquid Silver - Gone.

Comment

Bill,

Tomorrow (10/21/06 @Noon) I am going to James Dean to have Jim replace the 2.5" pipe with 2.25" pipe from the CAT back to the dual MagnaFlow's. I am hoping this will restore some of the backpressure I lost with my setup.

I'll give you a call with my results....

P.S. I voted for the 2.25"
            2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
              ...Factory is 2.25
              I measured 2.125" or 2 1/8" and it's not mandrel bent. ?????
              2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

I'd go 2.5. That showed the best gains on the Grand Am (the 3.4L engine, very similar to your 3500). It showed even better gains than a comparable 2.25 system.
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I'd def go with the 2.5 also.

^^ Factory is crush bent.

Comment

The factory is 2.25", but where it connects to the muffler it narrows down to between 1.78-2.00". And in reality, that's all you got. When you take a 2.5 pipe and crush it, you can wind up with as little as 2.00"

Take the narrowests section on the systems, and that's all you have.

You can have 50' of 3" pipe, but if it narrows to 1" anywhere within that pipe, 1" is all you have.

This is why mandrel is the way to go, especially if you have plans for other mods in the future. Otherwise, you may be doing this again.

Comment

Keep in mind that when you go to high flow cat (or none), eliminate the res, and go to high flow muff; that you are increasing the flow quite a bit just from those changes. And then, like GT-P says, you are limited by the restriction of the smallest part of the pipe. So if you go to a mandrel bent exhaust, you also eliminate that restriction also. Going to a true 2.25 mandrel bent system with the high flow AC can really open up the exhaust flow quite a bit. Opening up the exhaust flow too much can cause you to lose some scavenging effect and cause you to lose some bottom end pull. Just food for thought.

Comment

^ hit the nail on the head. I know the 3800 engine does wonders with 2.5" but Im not too familiar with the 3.4/3.5L engines. I do know this if your going for all out race, go with a bigger exhaust. Your engine is gonna spend a lotta time in upper RPM. If your looking for a street driver, stick with a perfecly bent 2.5" to keep some of that low end grunt.
                        2007 G5 Base Model
                        Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Here's a few pics of my new exhaust. I wound up going with 2.5" head pipe to a 18" long glasspack(resonator) to dual 2.25" pipe to (2)2.25" magnaflow offset inlet-offset outlet mufflers, 2.5" tailpipes and 4" magnaflow tips.

It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

looking good
                            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Nice setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X