Alignment issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment issue

I know there are a few threads on alignment but none seemed to talk about this.

I noticed the car starting to pull to the right. I'm sure the alignment needs to be adjusted. I have almost 18K on it driving in the Chicago area with bad roads.

Anyway, I also noticed the steering wheel jiggling (lack of a better word) left to right. It happens almost all the time so it does not seem to be just the road I am on.

Does anyone know if this is due to the alignment being off or is it another issue?

I'll be taking the G6 in soon for some maintenance, oil change, alignment, and a few TSB's.
    2006 Black GTP Sedan

I have noticed play within the steering wheel on my GT, but it is not bad and i dont really dont worry about it to much. It is a hell of alot better then my daily driver (Truck with 32" tires) sways all over the place ) so i have no real complaints about that
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

i wouldn't blame that on the tires. i work with a guy who has 38s on his daily and he has no problems.

if you are concerned about the steering issue bring it up to the dealer. i know the electronic assist have had some problems, but as far as i know the hydraulic assist in the GTPs haven't had any issues. it doesn't hurt to ask if there is anything they can do though.

Comment

Ya, I'll bring it up to the dealer. I dont have the electric assist steering. Just never had this happen on a car before so I was concerned about it.
        2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
          i wouldn't blame that on the tires. i work with a guy who has 38s on his daily and he has no problems.
          Alot has to do with the tread design Tires can very much have an effect on your vehicle, not really allignment, but you could be constantly chasing the vehicle. I guess that is what i was trying to say in my earlier post
          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Yeah a lot of high end tires love to follow the tar lines on highways, they have a mind of their own. But highly doubt this is the case here.

Comment

Probably bringing the G6 in for a few things this week. Does anyone know if alignment is covered under warranty?
              2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

I had to pay for alignment on mine.
                Of course I hit a pothole too.

EDIT: I paid $69
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

$69 at my dealership. A very reliable alignment place down the road wants $49.
                  Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                  Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                  WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

The pulsating in the steering wheel can be caused by tire balance being bad (i.e. you may have thrown a weight and your tires are out of balance).

Another thing coud be a warped rotor or dragging brake. Given that you're consistantly pulling to one direction and you have the wobbling steering wheel, ask the deealer to also check out your front brakes and see if there's out-of-spec runout on the front rotors. Since you're pulling to the right, I'd ask them to pay special attention to the passanger side front brake.

It may be alignment and balance, but it could also be brakes.

Jeff
                    My 07 G6 Convertible
                    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
                    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

Thanks, it wasnt really pulsing in the wheel more of a jiggling left to right. I had the rotors turned a few months ago for the pulsing problem.

I picked the car up on Friday and it turned out my tire pressure was completely off on all the tires. Wierd because I checked them a few weeks ago but maybe from the change in the weather they were off. Anyhow it seems to have fixed it. I thought it might have been the balance was off too like maybe a weight fell off.

Dealer said the alignment was fine and thats all it was so they fixed a few other things I had it in for and I picked it up the same day.
                      2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

Glad to hear you got it worked out. Funny how these things sometimes turn out to just be things like tire-pressure variation....
                        Originally posted by colinpeddle
                        They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                        That here, by G6er law, we lie
                        Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                        THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

I have had my brand new g6 gt in the shop 3 times now for the same issue, I asked them if they checked the tires, they said they were fine. Each time it was written up as though they had to do something, either replace a part or re-align. I even drove another GT on the lot and it pulled the same way, from reading several posts here, I'm finding that it is definately not a norm for this car, as I couldn't see any car built today doing that. The car has 650 miles on it now and I'm ready to file lemon law due to their horrible service. Is there anything else to check out besides tire pressure that I can do on my own without voiding the warranty to further the issue with them?

Comment

Well to start off...my car has now been in the shop 8 times for the same issues and of course I got it back last night and already went to the dealership this morning. They swore up and down that this was the final fix! They put it on the road balancer machine and said my alignment is dead on. So on monday my car will be going back into the dealership because the guys I dealt with are not in today. I have had two rack and pinions put in my car in the last 4 months, I have had my car aligned 4 times this past month, I have had my tires balanced 3 times in the last month, I have had the tires rotated every 5000 miles....and my car still has a slight pulsation in the steering wheel. It was pulling really strong to the right when I got my car back on tuesday after the 2nd rack and pinion went in. My car went back in on thursday because it still feels unstable especially around curves...very jerky! When I got it back last night it now is pulling very strong to the left? I work at a saab dealership so I have talked to our rep and he has contacted the pontiac rep so hopefully when monday rolls around something will be done or I will get out of my car? Its so time consuming and annoying, however knowing what goes on in dealerships I have been the most polite customer so they cant complain about me All I know is this is not a normal feeling so don't allow the dealerships to tell you its normal. I have been told its the road conditions, (pavement vs concrete?) that the popping in the steering is normal after they had replaced a rack 2 months prior for the same noise, that my tires are off, and my alignment. BULLSHIT if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by n/a matt
                              I have had my brand new g6 gt in the shop 3 times now for the same issue, I asked them if they checked the tires, they said they were fine. Each time it was written up as though they had to do something, either replace a part or re-align. I even drove another GT on the lot and it pulled the same way, from reading several posts here, I'm finding that it is definately not a norm for this car, as I couldn't see any car built today doing that. The car has 650 miles on it now and I'm ready to file lemon law due to their horrible service. Is there anything else to check out besides tire pressure that I can do on my own without voiding the warranty to further the issue with them?
                              you can't file lemon law because of poor service from a dealer. go to another dealership. and keep this discussion in your original thread, makes it easier to follow the conversation and this particular issue would pull this thread off topic (going from steering wheel discussions to lemon law discussions)
                              2009 PONTIAC G8
                              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X