Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharging 2007 3.5 or the 3.9 G6 - Upd. 1-28-2007

Ok all,

I am officially opening this thread up so that I can post my progress and information as far as schematics, ect.

So, mods, you may now lock my supercharing ambitions thread as they are no longer just an ambition but a reality

I'm going to post up some of the stuff that I had in the other thread in the performance section.

First the G6 it's going in:

Next the supercharger:

And the compressor map for those that care:

Click for the huge version
    2006 6.0 LS2 GTO Metallic Black
    2007 3.5 VVT G6 Liquid Silver - Gone.

I know this is still a work in progress but will that actually fit under the hood?
    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Wow, looking good.

Hey, in the second pic are those short pants or long shorts you're wearing?

Is it a GTP or a GT your putting it in?

Edit: Sorry, I see its the 3500 engine.

What kind of power are you expecting?
      2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

if you had plans of seeking high performance why did you get a GT to begin with?
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
          if you had plans of seeking high performance why did you get a GT to begin with?
          Simple, the wife put a cap on what I could spend on a new car...

I was approved for enough to buy a Porsche...

It isn't even a GT it's just a base w/ the v6.

Besides, what does it matter why I want to do it, just that I am...

Why did I put a 4000 dollar engine in my old 1988 vw jetta that was worth 500 dollars... because I could.

Originally posted by reubenk
          I know this is still a work in progress but will that actually fit under the hood?
          Yes, it will fit under there, i've already shut the hood with the supercharger in the position it will reside...

I will not be using a direct drive (ie direct from accessory belt or crank) I will be using an indirect setup that hooks into the accessory belt and then in turn spins a secondary pully setup to turn the supercharger.

Originally posted by GTP80
          Wow, looking good.

Hey, in the second pic are those short pants or long shorts you're wearing?

Is it a GTP or a GT your putting it in?

Edit: Sorry, I see its the 3500 engine.

What kind of power are you expecting?
          Those are my normal pants, i just pulled them up because it was covering the supercharger.

Initially i'm not looking for a world speed record here just 5psi of boost for maybe a 30 + hp gain.

Comment

Well, since this is a "How-To" why don't you tell us what all you would need. I have a 3.9l but I'm going to assume it will be close to the same. I'd like to see what all is entailed in this.... very interested!
            Also, where are you getting your supplies?
            Some days your the dog...some days your the fire hydrant!

Comment

Originally posted by stainlessnuts
              Well, since this is a "How-To" why don't you tell us what all you would need. I have a 3.9l but I'm going to assume it will be close to the same. I'd like to see what all is entailed in this.... very interested!
              Indeed it is a how to, but since the only thing i've gotten so far is the supercharger, it is a little tough to show anything else...

I can tell you the other parts i'm going to need...

I have a paxton 3.9" pulley on order and 1, vortech 3.6" pulley on order...

I will need another 3.6" pulley for what i'm planning.. I have a bearing on order rated at 10,000 rpm max but the correct size to hold my indirect drive setup for the accessory belt to supercharger drive belt...

I have 2 ford lightening idler pulleys on order that will be needed to keep tension on the indirect drive setup.

I will try to get some drawings up as to what i'm actually planning...

I haven't decided what i'm going to initially fab up the bracket in.. wood or metal.

I was going to do that this weekend, but going to wait for my parts to get a better idea of space / belts needed.

Comment

If I remember correctly there are no superchargers for the 3.9, so getting a 3.5 and supercharging it would make for a cheap but fast little car.
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                  If I remember correctly there are no superchargers for the 3.9, so getting a 3.5 and supercharging it would make for a cheap but fast little car.
                  I'm relatively certain that the way i'm doing my supercharger setup will only work for 3.9's and 2007+ 3.5's

My tach on this 3.5 goes to 7k with a limit (by auto) of around 62-6400rpm

I'm calculating my max boost for appx 6000 rpm.

according to corky bell @10psi you should decrease your 0-60 by 1/3

so a 9 second run will drop to around 6 seconds.

course, i run a 0-60 in about 8.5 and i'll only be initially running 5 psi so I should decrease by 1.5 seconds or so... 7 second 0-60 run is no slouch, especially with upgradability to 15-20psi... (of course not without a huge outlay on beefing everything up)

Did i mention my custom exhaust has netted me a good 3-4mpg increase... truly amazing.... And i've been driving it really hard now...

Comment

I'd like to know...cause if this goes well, I'll be test dummy (no offense) #2! Also, with your system, will you be upgrading anything else (ie fuel) or just bumping it up as much as possible on stock injectors and internals? Just curious.
                    Some days your the dog...some days your the fire hydrant!

Comment

I'd like to know...cause if this goes well, I'll be test dummy (no offense) #2! Also, with your system, will you be upgrading anything else (ie fuel) or just bumping it up as much as possible on stock injectors and internals? Just curious.
                      I'm aquiring most of my parts off of ebay... i'll also aquire some at superchargersonline.com

Initially, i'm going to fab up the installation... I'm not sure if i'm going to upgrade anything yet... I need to buy hptuners to find out what the stock engine is doing to the duty cycle of the injectors that are in place...

I've never dealth with a "returnless" fuel system, so i'll have to find out what that is all about too.

Comment

Damn...now you got me wanting to adapt it for my 3.6L

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                        - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                        - DS S3 Intake
                        - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

What are the odds of someone with little to no car experience (i've done cai for example and some other stuff in the past, but nothing like this) actually being able to do this without royally fucking their car?
                          The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

^ I'd say pretty slim
                            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                              ^ I'd say pretty slim
                              I'd have to say that you might be able to tackel parts of this project... but as far as tuning, ect... You will most definitely need a professional w/ a dyno and someone familiar with tuning late model domestics...

I myself, have a good technical understanding of what is involved... what to do vs not, ect.

You can't just throw a supercharger on your ride and expect to not blow up... There is sooo much more that goes into it than that... I suggest that you buy a book that I highly recommend... Supercharged! by Corkey Bell... (if you are going turbocharged I suggest Maximum Boost by the same author) both are through bentley publishing well known for their bentley service manuals... (which are by far superior to haynes, ect.)

But, don't let the above discourage you... just outsource any parts that you feel like you can't do yourself... I will have machining and parts of the tuning done by a professional... but you can bet your ass i'll be watching & learning...

I guess what it comes down to, i'd have to say a supercharger setup is much more approchable type of boost for a more novice individual than say a turbocharger system that involves exhaust manifolds, ect.

If I didn't want quick and fast removal, i'd consider a turbo setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X