Noise from sunroof (Non Pano)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from sunroof (Non Pano)

hey a couple days ago i noticed a noise every time i hit a little bump or even when i braked and it wasn't a noise that i normally hear so i've pin pointed the noise and it's coming from my sunroof and it seems like when the sunroof is fully closed the glass pane is actually a little loose... by that i mean without applying much pressure at all when pushed down it goes down quite a bit from the back of the pane which creates a noise between the weather striping and the car. now having 5 other cars in the same house as me with sun roofs i checked out 2 of them and there was slight movement in one when pushed down (no where close to a much as mine still) but the other one didn't move at all when pushed down which seems proper.

So basically does anyone know why this has started happening to me and if there is any "easy" or just a fix that i can do myself rather than bring it to a mechanic?

and i tried to do a search but all i could find were topics about the leaking problem and noisy panoramic sunroofs :S

Thanks!
    Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Re: Noise from sunroof (Non Pano)

you could try greasing up the rails where the sun roof rides. I know thats usually what the dealership would do
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thanks Blaine... so i greased up the rails but the problem is the glass is moving too freely when its fully closed so because its moving around it and the weather stripping are making noise so i don't know how much good the grease is going to do... i don't have a chance to drive it right now and check it out (gotta go to class and i carpool with friends) so im giving the grease a chance to settle...

if the grease does work will it work instantly or will it take a bit to spread around and fix the problem? and if it doesn't work whats my next step? am i doomed to go to a mechanic?
      Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

i would check and make sure teh screws are still tight on it. theres 4 screws that hold it on all 4 are torx

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

but the weird thing is when its up it won't budge but as soon as its closed its like its not locking into position and just moves around

Comment

as the glass slides forward to lock into the closed position there is a "hook" I guess you could call it where the front/side of the glass locks into and prevents the glass from being pryed up. I tried finding a pic but can't find one. Check for wear on those hooks/arms, whatever you want to call them, they may be worn down possibly causes play once the sunroof is closed
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

okay so i got home and maybe i'm stupid but i don't know how the grease did it but it's not making anymore noise and its not moving as much when i touch it so it seems like it's okay for now thank you everyone for your input

Comment

Okay so on the drive in to work today i noticed some rattling again and while driving i noticed it was coming from the sunroof again.... now it's less then a month later and i put a shitload of grease on the last time and my whole car stunk like grease up until like 2 weeks ago so i'm kind of upset it's doing it again.... it seems greasing it was only a temporary fix for something else or just the grease i bought maybe just isn't very good so it's done already? i'm not sure.... so anyways just wanted to open this topic up again for your input on other things i can look at

as the glass slides forward to lock into the closed position there is a "hook" I guess you could call it where the front/side of the glass locks into and prevents the glass from being pryed up. I tried finding a pic but can't find one. Check for wear on those hooks/arms, whatever you want to call them, they may be worn down possibly causes play once the sunroof is closed
                the hooks seem to be fine but i only say that because both seem to look the same but it could be that they are both worn out so to the best of my knowledge they are fine.

Comment

did you ever find the answer to this problem? I am haveing the same problem and can't find what the cause is.

Comment

any help at all would be great.

Comment

Sorry no answers here, I just bought a sub and now everything rattles so I ignore it lol

Comment

Working...
                      X