A/C System Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C System Service

So, with the turn of summer, I began to realize my A/C wasn't in tip-top shape..

Most days it takes a while now to actually get cold. Its warm and then all of a sudden it snaps cold. So I assume it needs recharged/serviced, however I'm not much of an A/C guy. Dealer wants 90 just to check it.

Now I know I can buy R134 for it, and charge it myself. So question to someone that may know, what is the proceedure?

Car on/off?
    A/c on/off?
    What should the system pressure read?

Thanks in advance, I searched and no other thread i could find (fyi)

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Re: A/C System Service

i believe when i had mine done after wreck it was car on, ac on

couldnt tell you the pressure though

Comment

The car and A/C must be on. You will be filling it in the low side not the high side. Best thing to do is get one of those All in one cans that has oil and R134a and sometimes "booster" in it . But be sure to buy the one that has the gauge on it and the hose hanging from it.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

ok.. so thats what I have been thinking..

the pressure is still a mystery though.. it is/was my greatest concern

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

It has a green shaded area on the gauge. If it is in that range, it should be fine.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

If you get the big can from auto zone with a hose, it says on the back of the can what the suggested pressure is at a certain outside temperature. And it is car on and A/c turn on high. Do not over charge it, there is a high pressure switch and if you go too high it'll tell your compressor clutch not to engage till its fixed.

These things I usually suggest taking to a local a/c guy, usually a pressure check and charge is close enough to what you'd pay for the stuff to do it yourself, and at least you'd know it was done right.

Comment

can someone post a picture of the 3.9 engine bay where they can circled the ac low pressure port please.

Comment

The hoses that you get with the ac recharge only fits on one port so theres no need to worry about filling the wrong line. You also have to wait until the compressor kicks on before filling. Also must shake can. All directions are on the back.
                sigpic
                Wheels, Hood, Taillights, Engine, Doors, Mirrors, Bumpers,
                Windows, Trunk, Seats, Radio, Carpet, Muffler, Sunroof,
                Shifter, Pedals, Headlights, Grilles, Door Panels, etc.

Comment

how much would a local shop charge cuz my ac is throwing hot air as we speak
                  i know it needs charge so anybody have gone to the shop yet

Comment

To get a good ball park charge you will need to get the pressure on the low/suction side between 30psi and 50psi depending on the outside temperature. 30-40psi if it is around 65-75f and can be upward of 50psi if it is 85f+. Just get the outside temperature to get in the right neighborhood of PSI. Your A/C should blow cold air somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees colder than what the actual air temp is. The G6 uses a thermal expansion valve to meter the refrigerant to the evaporator coil so take your time adding refrigerant once you get close to the desired pressure since the system will need a few minutes to stabilize. All this is assuming the only thing wrong is low refrigerant and not a bad pressure switch, compressor, slow or non-functioning fan, refrigerant filter clogged/restriction, etc..

DO NOT add too much or turn the can upside down (straight liquid slugging) or you will end up overcharging the system that will lead to liquid refrigerant getting back to the compressor on the low side which can destroy the compressor. ( If the directions on the can say to turn it upside down it has a built in restriction and is ok.)

IF you connect the hose and there is no pressure in the system don't even bother adding refrigerant since you have a leak and now have moisture in the system that will require having a vacuum pulled after the leak is fixed to pull out the moisture.
                    WAMS 91 tune,
                    Racingline MMI's
                    Chrome Intakes CAI (custom true ram air to come)
                    35% side tint, 20% rear, 5% strip
                    Debadged except GXP emblems
                    Tinted tails
                    Spyder tinted lights (complete rebuild + 4 projectors in design stage)
                    DDM 5k HID Low's
                    Polk 5000.5 amp, 12" Polk DXI sub, Pioneer 4way 6x9's. (complete system replacement soon)

Comment

Working...
                    X