Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to get my car up? Jacks, ramps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to get my car up? Jacks, ramps?

I still have yet to paint my calipers, and soon I'll be installing the GT-R exhaust. My question is: what is the best way to get my G6 off the ground?

I haven't even attempted to get under this car yet. If I were to install the exhaust myself, what kind of a set up for lifting the car would I require? 2 ramps for the front and then jack stands for the back?

I haven't done too much automotive work in my times, but I'm confident I'll be able to do the exhaust without any major problems as it's pretty much a bolt-on job.

What do you guys use? I don't really have access to lifts...unless I go to a shop (Monro Muffler) and have them install it. Which I may consider since I work for them and get 50% off. Depends on whether I want to spend my time and effort to do it myself or say "screw it" if I have enough $ to have a professional do it. Thanks for your reponses.
    Mike III
    '06 Electric Blue GTP

Dr. Speed CAB w/S&B, 20% Marquise Tint
    Next Up - Strut Bar, Lowering Springs, GT-R

For painting your calipers, you'll need to use a jack of some kind and jackstands. I use a hydraulic jack, but have been looking into the possibility of getting myself a pneumatic one at some point.

For changing your oil, or something that won't require you to take your wheels off, I find that ramps work quite well. The front end of the car is just high enough that it'll clear ramps.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I'd just use the factory jack and do each wheel one at a time
      BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
      ^ The Man
      v The Legend

Comment

Get a good set of stands and a nice floor jack. Check your owner's manual for the proper jacking points. I prefer to get as much stuff under the car as possible to prevent a failure. When the entire car is in the air I always put the wheels under it, on their sides, so if the car does fall it is not laying on the ground.

John

P.S. Stock wheels only and no they are not supporting any weight unless the car falls!
        Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I prefer to use ramps, makes things a lot easier. For the tires though you have to have a jackstand of course.

Comment

I use a hydraulic jack because the stands I have are from the 70s-era and the bumper will not clear them Too lazy to go out and buy Rhino ramps. I just jack it up right on the center of the chassis then use jackstands.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
            X