PDA

View Full Version : Gutting my cats?

CrimsonGTP
06-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I think my exhaust is too tame and quiet and im looking for some more sound. What do you guys think of me gutting my cats? Ive listened to a few exhaust clips (of course none were LS1 with LMII but it gave me an idea) and it sounded pretty sick. Thing is though, if it sounds like shit, im stuck with it and wont be able to go back until i get headers.

Thoughts.

WoodburyMan
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Straight pipes = win.

coolmanvette75
06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Straight pipes = win.
:agreed:

if you are worried about visual inspection, get a muffler shop to weld a straight pipe through the cat. it looks like it has cats, but really has straight pipes.

CrimsonGTP
06-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Straight pipes = win.
:agreed:

if you are worried about visual inspection, get a muffler shop to weld a straight pipe through the cat. it looks like it has cats, but really has straight pipes.
we dont have inspections in IL :Pooners: . Im not worried about any of that im just worried it will sound bad. Im sure itll sound good but that small percentage makes me nervous to do it.

coolmanvette75
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
just gutting the cats can make it a little more "raspy" sounding. id just remove the cats and weld in straight pipes. this will make the car louder.

CrimsonGTP
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
just gutting the cats can make it a little more "raspy" sounding. id just remove the cats and weld in straight pipes. this will make the car louder.
that would be ideal but im looking for free mods lol. moving out in about a month so cash is tizight.

coolmanvette75
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
well, gutted cats are better than regular cats. just a little more raspy.

and honestly, a muffler shop should only charge you like $50 bucks to weld in pipe, if that.

CrimsonGTP
06-29-2010, 10:38 AM
well, gutted cats are better than regular cats. just a little more raspy.

and honestly, a muffler shop should only charge you like $50 bucks to weld in pipe, if that.
well, i may analyze that upon completing the gutted cats. if i want MOAR then ill think about it. Maybe ill pick up some pipe myself and have my neighbor do the welding for me (if he can, hes a good welder but he never does car work)

coolmanvette75
06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
if he is a good welder, he should be able to do it. im 16 and i can weld pipe. its not very hard. just buy some pipe, buy ur neighbor a 6-pack, and enjoy :gtr:

Cfeld
06-29-2010, 10:49 AM
GUT YOUR CATS :Pooners:
http://blogs.inlandsocal.com/pets/Cats.jpg

1BADG6GT
06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I just had my dad install my Cherrybomb but i had to buy an extra pipe to make it the right size... anywho piece of pipe was only like 6 bucks...

IDK about GTO's but wouldn't it need the backpressure the cats create? I would just buy the pipes 20 bucks at the most... have someone who knows how to weld install them... if it gives you any probs... slap the intact cats back on! WIN

CrimsonGTP
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I just had my dad install my Cherrybomb but i had to buy an extra pipe to make it the right size... anywho piece of pipe was only like 6 bucks...

IDK about GTO's but wouldn't it need the backpressure the cats create? I would just buy the pipes 20 bucks at the most... have someone who knows how to weld install them... if it gives you any probs... slap the intact cats back on! WIN
well i do still have mufflers (SLP Loudmouth II Mufflers) so i still have some backpressure there

06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Cut the cats... weld in pipe... put in O2 stimulator/emulators that way you dont throw codes...

i had a buddy do that to his Rustang and it sounded redic... oh and the raw fuel smell gave me a *BOING*

Pedobear
06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Don't gut them! If you gut out your converters it will cause more turbulence in your exhaust. More often than not, you will see a decrease in power by just "gutting" them. Weld a straight pipe in.

WS6 RACING
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Ask a muffler shop to gut some old trashed cats and weld them in, if you gut your cats and dont like the sound then it will cost $$ to buy new cats and install them.

CrimsonGTP
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM
hmmmmmm........ im surprised by majority voting no........

LordKOTL
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
hmmmmmm........ im surprised by majority voting no........

Either Straightpipe it or don't do anything. A gutted cat acts as an expansion chamber and hurts your exhaust velocity.

Thebeast
06-29-2010, 10:43 PM
i wouldnt gut them. just be patient and save up for headers. im saving up for american racing headers with cats for 1800 plus a custom tune and rims. should be good for 50 at the wheels.
just wait.

LoJac963
06-30-2010, 03:15 AM
I posted a vid in my progression thread without the stock mufflers, everything else is stock. The sound has actually tamed down quite a bit after driving it for a few months without the mufflers. Doesn't sound too bad, just pops a little when I really jump on it and shift.

As for the cats, the issues everyone talking about with the exhaust gases does sound correct, maybe a better idea to just do straight pipe-maybe throw is an x-pipe while you're down there

Check out my vid if you want

ahuhn
06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
im gona go ahead and remind you that gutting the cats is illegal for a street legal vehicle :wink:

WoodburyMan
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Agreed and come emission or inspection time you're screwed.

Just get some catless mid straight pipes. Then you can throw them back in when that time comes around

LoJac963
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
we dont have inspections in IL :Pooners: . Im not worried about any of that im just worried it will sound bad. Im sure itll sound good but that small percentage makes me nervous to do it.

figured I'd do it for him :smokin:

zlatsky
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
corsa sport or bust.

WoodburyMan
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
corsa sport or bust.
Win. :gtr:

CrimsonGTP
06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
i have SLP LM II already.

LoJac963
07-01-2010, 02:52 AM
^yeah the man has an exhaust

BUT

I would go with Kooks Street Screamer!!!!! Still waiting to hear that on a somewhat stock car!

CrimsonGTP
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
^yeah the man has an exhaust

BUT

I would go with Kooks Street Screamer!!!!! Still waiting to hear that on a somewhat stock car!

that exhaust makes my dick hard.