Questions on stock stereo due to varying information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on stock stereo due to varying information

Hey guys, long time forum stalker, first time poster.

I've been trying to find information about aftermarket stereos in my G6 and it seems that every place I look, it says something different from where I looked before (more than likely due to the many configurations of our cars). I searched this forum and many other forums and even called crutchfield and they were still confused. I am asking all these questions before I tear into my car so I don't have to keep taking things apart, so please bear that in mind. I have a 2007 G6 coupe with the 8 speaker monsoon sound system.

My questions are:
    1) What size speakers are in the front doors and the rear deck? I have 3 grills on the front doors and only know that the bottom speaker is a 6 3/4, but what is the middle speaker and the tweeter size? As for the rear deck, I hear 6x9 but somewhere I read that there is another speaker back there? Would anyone recommend 2 ways or 3 ways in the doors?

2) The monsoon system is amplified so I assume I'll have to do away with that since all aftermarket stereos are amped at the head unit. Is there a way to simply use the factory amp wiring if I were inclined to replace the amp with an aftermarket one? I would like to keep from clipping off connectors by using some sort of adapter. Also, is there an amp that can be put in the factory location? I would like to keep the factory look by not just shoving it in the trunk.

I'm sure these questions have been asked before and I apologize for asking again but since I can't get a straight answer, I have to ask.

Re: Questions on stock stereo due to varying information

Really? Over 50 hits and no one knows, or cares to help?

Comment

Sorry I'm of no help, but one of the reasons no one is replying is because most people just keep the factory door speakers when they install a system or they simply just have the stereo installer swap them out without having to worry about what size they are.

From what I've read in your thread you DO have the monsoon system right? If so I would assume the factory speakers are just fine... just add some bass in the trunk and you'll be good to go.

One of the other areas of conserns should be the head unit and the addapter choices you have for them... decissions decissions!

If you did chose to keep your monsoon HU and speakers you could symply tap into the rear speaker wires to add the subs/amp in the trunk... This might be what I do... I have the monsoon system with the 6 CD changer and the AUX jack... so no real need for a new HU.

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
      I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

I replaced my front speakers and tweeters on my G6 however it was the Sedan so I only had the single two-way mid and seperate tweeter. I got a JBL kit and it fit fine. I had to mount the tweeter on the outside of where the stock one is, using the grill holes for it as screw holes, and it looked factory.
        2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
        Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
        Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
        2005 CGM GTO.
        386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
        2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by 1BADG6GT
          From what I've read in your thread you DO have the monsoon system right? If so I would assume the factory speakers are just fine... just add some bass in the trunk and you'll be good to go.

One of the other areas of conserns should be the head unit and the addapter choices you have for them... decissions decissions!

If you did chose to keep your monsoon HU and speakers you could symply tap into the rear speaker wires to add the subs/amp in the trunk... This might be what I do... I have the monsoon system with the 6 CD changer and the AUX jack... so no real need for a new HU.
          Thanks for your replies guys!

Yes I do have the monsoon system. The main reason I'm upgrading, and the reason most people here do, is that I need the AUX jack. I don't want to put any subs in the trunk as I need the space to haul computers, servers, cisco switches, and equipment. I more than likely will not adapt for the steering wheel controls since I hardly use them anyway. I could use it if I had an ipod to usb connect to the aftermarket stereo but I use a zune hd that no cd player is usb compatible with.

I've heard that if you just hook up a new receiver (I'm looking at the Pioneer avh-p3200dvd), that if you don't unhook the factory amp, that it will blow the factory speakers. Is this true? As for speakers, Pioneer Premier TS-A643P in the front and Pioneer Premier TS-A942P in the back are my plans for the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by IronFox
            Yes I do have the monsoon system. The main reason I'm upgrading, and the reason most people here do, is that I need the AUX jack. I don't want

I've heard that if you just hook up a new receiver (I'm looking at the Pioneer avh-p3200dvd), that if you don't unhook the factory amp, that it will blow the factory speakers. Is this true?
            Why not look for a used 08 Monsoon 6cd w/ AUX stereo... and just have it programed to your car like some have done... much cheaper and if you still still want to swap the speakers out I don't see how the stock amp would blow out the new ones...

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
            I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

Originally posted by 1BADG6GT
              Why not look for a used 08 Monsoon 6cd w/ AUX stereo... and just have it programed to your car like some have done... much cheaper and if you still still want to swap the speakers out I don't see how the stock amp would blow out the new ones...
              I've tried the 08-09 swap route but no one in town is willing to reprogram it for me, telling me "it wont work, it wont fit" garbage. The price for one would be slightly cheaper than an aftermarket stereo, but I like all the features it adds such as eq, dvd, and all that fun stuff.

I've heard that since its being amped at the head unit and at the factory amp, it will make things go boom.

Comment

I recently came into this predicament and decided to go the way of the entire system upgrade. As for applying an aftermarket HU to an already amped system, you will be "bi-amping" your speakers, which in turn will add noise. You might get lucky and be able to turn off the aftermarket HU's internal amp. The factory HU sends out a flat signal, which then gets amplified and "eq'ed" by the monsoon amp. The amp has high pass and low pass outputs to the factory speakers, which is why you have 4 wires to each speaker.

I can't help you as far as speaker size and location since I have a sedan but FWIW I found a small enough amp to fit into the envelope of the factory amp and bracket. Look at a small 4 channel amp like the JL Audio XD/HD series or the now extinct Eclipse EA4200. I was able to use 1/2 MDF with some joist straps to make an amp rack that used all 4 mounting points for the factory amp bracket. It fits perfectly behind the trunk carpet and has plenty of room to breathe. If you decide to run new speaker wire like I did be prepared to curse your doors. Molex connectors in the door jams really makes it hard to get wire through.

Hope that helps!
                2005 G6 GT - Sport Red Metallic - Sound and Sun Package

Pioneer 4200IB, Polk DB6501, Polk DB691, Eclipse EA4200, Dynamat Extreme, Kicker wiring

Comment

For the front speakers, I will most likely just stick some wires in the factory connectors and then connect the new speakers, I really dont want to start clipping off connectors. For the back, it just depends on which way I want to go. If I don't use an aftermarket amp, I'll do the same thing as I plan on doing with the front, just stick some wires into the pre-amp connector, bypass the amp, and run new cables to the new speakers. If I do add a new amp, I may run some new rca cables and hook into the new amp or see if I can run off the existing wires.

Comment

After weeks of going through all the options out there I've finally ordered my setup.

Pioneer AVH-3200DVD Head Unit
                    Pioneer TS-A1782R 6-3/4" 280w 4-way speakers
                    Pioneer TS-A6982R 6x9" 440w car speakers

EDIT: Got a stupid question, Ive got the factory 6 cd Monsoon with XM and I've noticed that there is a second plugin in the back of Monsoon radios. What is it for,, the amp?

Comment

The main reason I'm upgrading, and the reason most people here do, is that I need the AUX jack.
                      The iSimple PXAMG, has an iPod input, separate AUX in, and is hardwired so no FM reception problems! With an iPod, you have steering wheel control of songs/volume, and have the option to display songs on DIC.
                      I love mine!
                      Clicky
                      Also available at Best Buy (USA) online.

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

Originally posted by BORN2SKI
                        The main reason I'm upgrading, and the reason most people here do, is that I need the AUX jack.
                        The iSimple PXAMG, has an iPod input, separate AUX in, and is hardwired so no FM reception problems! With an iPod, you have steering wheel control of songs/volume, and have the option to display songs on DIC.
                        I love mine!
                        Clicky
                        I have the same, added the HD-radio with it was well, it's really a great addition. Only word of warning is that I got mine at Best Buy and while they had a GM unit it was the wrong one. So make sure you know which one you need before ordering to save some hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by dringle2
                          Originally posted by BORN2SKI
                          I love mine!
                          Clicky
                          I have the same, added the HD-radio with it was well, it's really a great addition. Only word of warning is that I got mine at Best Buy and while they had a GM unit it was the wrong one. So make sure you know which one you need before ordering to save some hassle.
                          I've already thought about going that route, thanks but no thanks.

Comment

I've already thought about going that route, thanks but no thanks.
                            Do explain....

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

Theres not much to say, its just not the route I want to take. I understand the money savings aspect of going with a hardwired fm modulator but as I understand, the sound quality may be alright but not as good as it could be. I may be wrong but your not getting cd quality but fm radio quality. I'd rather spend a little bit more and get all the added features and better quality sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X