PDA

View Full Version : Stock Headers w/mid pipes?

CrimsonGTP
06-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Just wondering if you can buy midpipes with no cats and connect them to stock headers? Just want some extra rumble without buying headers if thats possible. plus, that way when i do headers i dont even have to buy any mid pipes

LoJac963
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I want to say that aftermarket mids wont connect the to stock exhaust manifolds, they'll bolt up to the flange for the exhaust going out the back but not to the manis because most headers end much further down then the stockers do--don't quote me on that though :coupe:

hnda8n
06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I want to say that aftermarket mids wont connect the to stock exhaust manifolds, they'll bolt up to the flange for the exhaust going out the back but not to the manis because most headers end much further down then the stockers do :coupe:

:lol: too late :D

LoJac963
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
lol :lol: :smokin:

CrimsonGTP
06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I want to say that aftermarket mids wont connect the to stock exhaust manifolds, they'll bolt up to the flange for the exhaust going out the back but not to the manis because most headers end much further down then the stockers do--don't quote me on that though :coupe:
dont mids connect to the headers as they come down??

LoJac963
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
correct, all I know is certain headers require their own brand of mids so depending on the brand you may have fittment issues. If the mids say they'll fit right into the stock area then you'd be fine. Where you looking for them?

CrimsonGTP
06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
correct, all I know is certain headers require their own brand of mids so depending on the brand you may have fittment issues. If the mids say they'll fit right into the stock area then you'd be fine. Where you looking for them?
marylandspeed. i was lookin at pacesetter catless mids. since really thats just pipe anyways so who cares about brand. plus i doubt HIGHLY ill get kooks and ill prolly end up getting paceshitters anyway.

mi04se1
06-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Kook mids bolt upto Kooks LT's atleast with G8's. PS mids probably only work with PS LT's also. I dont know how it is in the GTO world, but nobody makes a mid pipe to bolt upto the stock manifolds for the G8's.

CrimsonGTP
06-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Kook mids bolt upto Kooks LT's atleast with G8's. PS mids probably only work with PS LT's also. I dont know how it is in the GTO world, but nobody makes a mid pipe to bolt upto the stock manifolds for the G8's.
thanks for the info...i might just have to do some investigating..

leong6gtp
06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah the PS midpipe isn't made to be used with the stock manifolds. You could gut your cats if you want a little more sound(watch out for emissions if you have them in your state)

CrimsonGTP
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah the PS midpipe isn't made to be used with the stock manifolds. You could gut your cats if you want a little more sound(watch out for emissions if you have them in your state)
no i have no testing. i do want more sound is there a how to somewhere on gutting a cat? (catalytic converter smart asses) and how tough will it be

LoJac963
06-24-2010, 03:10 AM
no i have no testing. i do want more sound is there a how to somewhere on gutting a cat? (catalytic converter smart asses) and how tough will it be

hell all you have to do is bust up the ceramic substrate inside the cats then dump the chunks out. When are you planning on the pacesetters? I'm curious how they work out for you!

leong6gtp
08-24-2010, 05:17 PM
My friend has PS on his Z28 the fitment was alright and they're holding up decently but out of the box they are no where near the design quality that kooks or ARH are.

LoJac963
08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
^yeah thats a given. It's really too bad that Kooks doesn't have any major competition, maybe stainless works, ARH but that's about it. Its either shell out a million dollars on headers or its completely cheap crap.......ugh

leong6gtp
08-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Buy used then and save a few hundred.

LoJac963
08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Buy used then and save a few hundred.

yeah well even used ones are quite expensive really. If I had the money and could afford used ones I would definitely pick up a set as long as they were coated and everything was in good shape