Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headers, what brand are you guys rockin?!!??!??!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers, what brand are you guys rockin?!!??!??!?!?

so I'm really sick and tired of not having headers and I keep dabbling in the thoughts of saying screw it and buying the cheapo PaceSetters.

I mean you can pick up a set of Pacesetters 1 3/4 x 3" JET HOT coated for $499.95, add the mids for $119.95 and the O2 extenders for $49.00....

Total: $668.90

Kooks on the other hand for the 1 3/4, coated with mids and O2 extensions would be $1,475.72.

Now the Pacesetters don't come with cats where the Kooks mids do so thats why theres a HUGE different in price for the mid pipes but the price for the kooks also doesn't include O2 extension harnesses.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Kooks but the price is just insane for them. The other bad thing about Pacesetters is in their disclaimer is says "fabrication may be required "

I've heard mixed reviews about Pacesetters, some people have had a set for years without any issues but others had problems with out of the box. I just want some dang headers to get the exhaust opened up a bit............

So what are you guys rockin if anything? I know headers are on most of our TO DO lists for the goats but I'm just curious what the crew over here is rollin. Oh and yes I've spend countless hours reading on LS1 and other boards.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Re: Headers, what brand are you guys rockin?!!??!??!?!?

Kooks are expensive, but worth it.

SLP, and a lot of the others, I heard always doesn't quite match up all the time. Guy I know Kurt has installed headers on GTOs like two dozen times at least and he says Kooks are always the easiest. SLP's he said sometimes are a pain in the arse for fitment sometimes, and also a guy I know doesnt recommend them as they rust. (Not that you need to worry as much about that as we do up North with salty roads in the winter) but two guys with SLPs up here have dailied theres for 2 years with them and have rust. Guys with Kooks are fine.

Ive never heard much about Pacesetters. I know a few other people brought attention about American Racing headers, but I was told their fitment was a pain to get on as well.

IMHO kooks is the way to go. If you look on ls1gto MarylandSpeed has a special where you get FREE coating with a special coupon code.

I'd go with the 1 3/4" or the NEW Signiture stepped 1 3/4" to 1 7/8 ones. ($200 more for stepped).
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

definately kooks. im going with doug thorley over kooks simply because they wont bolt up to my exhisting exhaust.
      kooks i would get, but inorder for it to work, i have to buy the catted mid-pipe, another 800.
      so im going catless and getting the doug thorley, or i am also considering kooks midlength headers
      2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
      2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
      613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
      11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
      New numbers coming soon........

Comment

im with you on the pacesetters. I talked to the one guy Bohnman (the guy that did my LED swap) and he has done tons of header installs. He said that obviously kooks are the shit and the best there is BUT people who he knows that have pacesetters say they work just fine. I mean, difficulty of install to me is not an issue. you install them once so if its a pain in the ass, once you have them on its finished anyways so who cares. Understandably if they dont fit then thats a big issue lol but as far as difficulty goes...oh well. He said the few he knows with pacesetters loved them and for the price you REALLY cant beat it. are kooks amazing? of course. but i DO think that you are paying for a name JUST a little. i mean 1400 for some welded pipe? gtfo.
        sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGTP
          im with you on the pacesetters. I talked to the one guy Bohnman (the guy that did my LED swap) and he has done tons of header installs. He said that obviously kooks are the shit and the best there is BUT people who he knows that have pacesetters say they work just fine. I mean, difficulty of install to me is not an issue. you install them once so if its a pain in the ass, once you have them on its finished anyways so who cares. Understandably if they dont fit then thats a big issue lol but as far as difficulty goes...oh well. He said the few he knows with pacesetters loved them and for the price you REALLY cant beat it. are kooks amazing? of course. but i DO think that you are paying for a name JUST a little. i mean 1400 for some welded pipe? gtfo.
          yeah that's EXACTLY how I feel on the issue. Obviously Kooks are the best and the greatest since they have 100% great reviews and everyone uses them but at the same time I just want some cheapy headers with my small bolt ons for the time being. Once the car becomes strictly a weekend toy and not a DD and major engine work is done, THEN I would consider buying Kooks...

Interesting points guys, hmmmmmmmmm

Still worries me about the fittment with Pacesetters, get them and they don't fit worth the crap then what do you do, go through the hassle of sending them back and all that pain in the arse......
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

there are quite a few g8 members that are running pacesetter longtubes and they love them. no complaints. its a gamble that you have to be willing to take. if it pays off, then great. if not, then its a risk you will learn from.
            2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
            11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

I think I'll check in and email MSpeed and make sure they'll take them back if they have fittment issues. My long term goal is (when motor is built) Kooks 1 7/8th headers to 3" mids to the Kooks full 3" exhaust so we're talking big bucks.......

Comment

im getting mine at marylandspeed as well.
                11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

I've never had a problem with Pacesetter, always proven themselves from what I've seen/experienced.

1994 Civic - 1995 240SX - (GTO sold)
                  There are cars that take you from point A to point B, and then there are cars that eat your family, worship Satan, and purposefully transmit STDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedobear
                    I've never had a problem with Pacesetter, always proven themselves from what I've seen/experienced.
                    that's good to hear, I mean their prices really can't be beat compared to the other brands for the GTO's and other vehicles. I'll have to look into it a little more.

Comment

I got Solo HFC's and Solo Mach unbalnced cat back, so LT's are out of the picture for me. As soon as I get the funds, Im getting Doug Thorley shorties so I dont loose my high flow cats. I know I could sell the cats, but you never get what you paid for. I paid almost $600 for the cats. Shit, if you add up what I paid for the cats and exhaust, with a few 100 more bucks I couldve got ARH instead. Live and learn I guess.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
                      4 door mafia
                      93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
                      8000k hid's
                      Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
                      Rotofab cai and radiator cover
                      13.207@107.11
                      330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

My friend has pacesetters on his camaro, they do the job but no kooks. The design(at least for the gto) is a better along with a better collector with ball joint connector. MDspeed has dynos comparing them. If you can't get Kooks then get pacesetters, but if you have the money then don't cheap out. Get catless mids and get them cheaper. It seems like this topic comes up as much on here as it does on ls1gto LOL.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                        TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                        Show
                        -20% tint
                        -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                        -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Originally posted by leong6gtp
                          My friend has pacesetters on his camaro, they do the job but no kooks. The design(at least for the gto) is a better along with a better collector with ball joint connector. MDspeed has dynos comparing them. If you can't get Kooks then get pacesetters, but if you have the money then don't cheap out. Get catless mids and get them cheaper. It seems like this topic comes up as much on here as it does on ls1gto LOL.
                          for sure. cept people on here aren't ass holes. i saw the comparative dyno's and kooks won by like 4-5 hp or something. i dont remember for sure but it wasn't a shitload.
                          sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Originally posted by mi04se1
                            I got Solo HFC's and Solo Mach unbalnced cat back, so LT's are out of the picture for me. As soon as I get the funds, Im getting Doug Thorley shorties so I dont loose my high flow cats. I know I could sell the cats, but you never get what you paid for. I paid almost $600 for the cats. Shit, if you add up what I paid for the cats and exhaust, with a few 100 more bucks I couldve got ARH instead. Live and learn I guess.
                            i will be getting the doug thorly's as well. they are great and you can get 15% off at maryland speed and free shipping
                            11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

Just remember....you get what you've paid for...

Comment

Working...
                              X