Convertible Braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible Braces

I've heard a lot of stuff about the strut tower brace (Malibu part), and I wondered if any of the convertible's additional bracing might be installed onto a coupe or sedan. Yep, I've read about the exhaust restrictions from the 3.9L causing a drop in power... but I don't recall anything about the 3.5L being robbed of power.

So, anyone know if the convertible's bracing could be added to a 3.5 or Ecotec G6? Would it do anything other than add weight?

Take Care,
    GraniteGrey
    Trust me, I'm a professional!

Convertibles need the extra bracing because the car doesn't have the strength of the hard top.
    If you have a sedan, then the tower strut brace will help the flexing of the strut towers under cornering. It has nothing to do with engine performance.
    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear

I guess my point has been missed here.

Let's assume for a moment that you've got a sedan or coupe, and you've already added the strut tower brace. Yep, that stiffens-up the car a bit more than stock. It'd probably help with the convertible too.

Now, I understand that the convertible's bracing is meant to help with chassis stiffness because there is no roof structure. What if the same braces from the convertible were added to your sedan or coupe. Obviously, this will make the car stiffer than stock too - you'll have both the roof and the braces.

The question is, does adding these braces (and I'm assuming it's more than just one piece, but I've been wrong before) have as much of an effect (or more of an effect) as adding the strut tower brace? My layman guess would be that adding the convertible braces and the strut tower brace will both make the car more rigid. That is, if the normal car rates a 7 for stiffness (out of ten), then adding the strut tower brace might make it an 8. Similarly, the convertible's bracing (without the strut tower brace) might also make the car an 8. Adding both types of bracing might make the car a 9. Actually though, I'd expect the convertible's braces to have more of an effect than the strut tower brace because it'll do more for the twisting of the whole car, not just at the front.

Finally, I know it's not nearly as simple as I've described above. You may not be able to simply add the convertible braces without other modifications to the car. This was what I was trying to say in my first message... the convertible's braces may have an impact on the exhaust system for the car. I understand that the power rating of the 3.9L engine is substantially less in the convertible than it is in the GTP. Other messages in this forum say it's because of a revised (and more restricted) exhaust system. What I don't know is if these same restrictions exist for the 3.5L or Ecotec engine (which isn't even an option for the convertible). Also, are there other components that have to move or be altered to allow the braces to be installed?

Take Care,
      GraniteGrey

Comment

I can't answer your questions, but I'd also like to point out the possibility that the additional braces may just end up adding more weight to your car, without any benefit. The roof and upper portions of the car might do everything that the braces would do.

I don't know for sure, I'm just saying it's possible.

BTW, there's a Toronto area G6 owners meet going on tonight at 8pm at the Tim Hortons on Dundas St. east of Cawthra in Mississauga if you're interested.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

The braces on the vert cause the exhaust system to be more restricted . There was a thread out there that you can search for. Seems like a big hassle and a large weight gain.

Comment

I guess that unless someone wants to look into this further, everything is just speculation. Yep, it would definately add more weight. Even though the braces are intended to stiffen the convertible in place of the roof of the coupe (or sedan), these same braces on the coupe would logically add stiffness. Question is, will it be enough to notice. Most drivers (myself included) probably will not notice the strut tower brace installation. We just don't push the cars hard enough. A tire upgrade would be easier and probably more effective for the vast majority of drivers.

And as for the exhaust restrictions, yep... it might effect more than just the 3.9L engine. That's why I asked. I've only seen the top side of a G6 so I know nothing about the convertible's bracing and the exhaust system.

Overall, I think this is something that the hardcore "racer types" will have to think about and decide for themselves.

Originally posted by TLS2000
            BTW, there's a Toronto area G6 owners meet going on tonight at 8pm at the Tim Hortons on Dundas St. east of Cawthra in Mississauga if you're interested.
            I'll have to keep my eyes open for the next one... 'cause I'd be embarassed to show-up without washing my car first!

Take Care,
            GraniteGrey

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteGrey
              Most drivers (myself included) probably will not notice the strut tower brace installation. We just don't push the cars hard enough. A tire upgrade would be easier and probably more effective for the vast majority of drivers.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for the next one... 'cause I'd be embarassed to show-up without washing my car first!

Take Care,
              GraniteGrey

You would notice the strut tower brace. I have an '05 GT sedan, and it's corners MUCH better. Interstate onramps are fun now.
              :smoke:
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

yup, it is noticeable...

you are going around a turn... and yo keep waiting for that annoying feeling of the car twisting... but it doesn't happen

it rocks
                Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

We just need some good aftermarket sways... ones that aren't hollow

Comment

agreed

As for the bracing, somebody will have to try it to know for sure. Without actual GM testing numbers, there's no way to tell what the differences will be.

My two cents worth of speculation is that the bracing was probably added more for crash testing rigidity than road feel and handling improvements. Handling and road feel are great, but the lack thereof won't keep a car from going to market... horrible crash testing results and an increased risk of liability will.
                    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Working...
                    X