Transmission whine :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission whine :(

I'm sure a few of you are thinking I told you so or something similar. After installing my shift kit I found that if I get the transmission hot (above normal) it starts to make a whining sound. I'm not saying that the shift kit did or didn't directly cause it and I REALLY don't want to scare people away from installing a shift kit! It might be something I effed up or it could be from the extra stress from the kit. Or it could just be something completely unrelated. Anyways, I found this on a website that sells aftermarket parts for the 4t65e...

4T60/65E Input Drum to Sun Gear Bearing
    $6.95
    This bearing is replaced in all of our rebuilds regardless of condition. It can cause whine noises under certain conditions and and takes a lot of load due to its size and location so is always a good idea to replace during a rebuild.

Does anyone know where this bearing is in the trans? Is it somewhere accessible or is it buried deep that would require an extensive disassembly of the trans?
    sigpic
    Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Re: Transmission whine

your digging in to the trans further then youd want too

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

You better find a good friend who knows GM FWD transmissions. IIRC, you'll need to drop the trans to replace that bearing.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
      -Chris-
      -2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT Sedan-
      MP Racing CAI/Mangaflow High Flow Cat/Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator/MSD ignition: 8.5mm wires and coils/Black housing headlights/tinted GT tails and 3rd light/17" ROH Adrenalin's/235/45 R17 General Exclaim UHP tires/Baer Decela Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/ceramic pads/6000K HID's/dual post mirror swap/SC/T spoiler/20% tint

There's a Grand Am on your G6 site. lul

Comment

Sounds like a fun weekend or two or three...

ASSUMING this bearing is causing the whine, if it fails what will it break? Anything expensive or will it devastate my whole trans?
        sigpic
        Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

hmmm dont know if the whine you have is the same time of whine I have. the whine I have is only in 2nd (from what I can hear) but when Im running through the mountain is manual mode and Im running fast. I have a whine.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Mine is in all the gears as far as I can hear and is most noticable when accelerating. It goes with the pitch of the engine...hmmm...now that I think about that, it could be some other part of the drivetrain... I think you can tell it's from the tranny some how. It's been a little while since I've beat the piss out of the car. I'll have to do so soon and listen/record the whine.
            sigpic

Comment

I can find out monday. My car is still at the trans shop. We are waiting for the stall converter. The trans is totally apart right now. I get out of work at 6pm so when I get home I will let you know. I will have a list soon of all the upgrades...
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665190"

Performance mods...
              Tuned by SB Tuning (93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... CAI for the G6 from Ebay... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey... Now Upper and lower 10,000k HID's... NRG Engine damper Installed... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's

Comment

Do you think it may have something to do with the trans cooler? I would try unhooking it and see if that does anything.

Performance mods...
                Tuned by SB Tuning (93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... CAI for the G6 from Ebay... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey... Now Upper and lower 10,000k HID's... NRG Engine damper Installed... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's

Comment

I added the trans cooler because of the whine not the other way around.

Here is the whine. Put in some ear buds and turn the volume up so you can here the whine. This was after about 20 minutes of back road romping...

sigpic

Comment

It kinda sounds like power steering going bad.

Performance mods...

Comment

Originally posted by lightningblue
                      It kinda sounds like power steering going bad.
                      ............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

sounds like on old 3800 with a power stering noise

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                        Originally posted by snowmanG6
                        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Would the PS make this whine ONLY when it's extra hot and even when going in a strait line?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thestig
                            Would the PS make this whine ONLY when it's extra hot and even when going in a strait line?
                            I think so. You might want to check that first. Its a lot cheaper than a trans issue. I should know... I might have my car back wed.

Performance mods...

Comment

How can I check it?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X